No Spring Bump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raintree

Penguins are tasty
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Spring seems to be slower than usual, not getting the calls for estimates as expected. Is it just southern New England that the economy sucks? How are the rest of you guys fairing?

I am getting slammed with calls. 10-15 a day. Then 4-5 website contacts a day. Sign a fair amount of them. Its weird tho, I keep getting climbers calling looking for work, telling me that where they work is slow. Talked to the other arb, a BCMA with a big crew and he is pretty busy aswell. Other outfits are still sitting in the shop looking out the window? Maybe the GP is waking up.

A bit of a slow start here as well. Usually the phone starts ringing off the hook in early May and doesn`t stop until November. I`d say the calls are at 50% of the norm so far. Fortunately we have some contractors - landscapers and construction guys - who are giving us some nice jobs.

But so far this is the quietest May in years.

After a stone cold winter of record breaking cold. Along with 4.99/gal. Propane. I saw frost 3 days ago. The leaves are still not out. Just stopped heating the buildings.

I can see why some people are reeling back here.

Good Luck out there and be Safe!

Timberjak

Been hooked up here pretty good for 8 weeks or so. I can always see a dip in calls the week before a holiday when people start thinking about vacations.

Slow and shite for me. A lot of that has to do with a ton of new companies sprouting up. And landscrapers are trying to get into this racket. I should be at least 2 weeks backed up but right now it's about 7 work days.

By the end of May usual for us would be 8 weeks back log & looking to add extra guys to the crews. So far we're a week out & thank God for our regular customers that are barely keeping the bills paid. Where are you guys that are swimming in work?

Raintree that is a really really drastic change... how are your competitors doing?

I consider my real competitors the guys that also play by the rules. Talking to my associates in the tree care industry it seems we are all hurting for work. Been seeing the no name uninsured guys show up with the crew & equipment to do a quote! I'm sure those guys aren't paying .37 cents on the dollar for workman's comp.

By the end of May usual for us would be 8 weeks back log & looking to add extra guys to the crews. So far we're a week out & thank God for our regular customers that are barely keeping the bills paid. Where are you guys that are swimming in work?
we have little backlog. the phone calls for estimates for work are way down also.

Been horrible for me so far out there. The phone was ringing pretty good for a while, but not much materialized. Now it just died. I just put on my boots every day and hope it changes. Trying to stay positive and keep busy working around the shop in between a few tree jobs here and there. Is what it is I guess. Never been happier that things are mostly paid off.

Are you just not getting calls or some fool under bidding everything?

Are you just not getting calls or some fool under bidding everything?

Very few calls, the phone is just not jiggling. We do over 80% residential the rest is town/city/state and corporate. The little requested work that is available is getting jumped on quickly & cheaply.

Latest posts

Back