Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been out so long lately. Had to go back stateside for a stint, then I got married, now I am over in Wicklow trying to start a business. I still have an 044 tho. So might go otu to a friends estate and help them out with the recent storm damage.

Forest fires were far worse in the 1930s. Which is obvious when EcoFascists don't hide the data.
http://www.cfact.org/2017/10/17/fires-far-worse-last-century/

P.S. EcoFascist may be a poor choice of words, but we have to actually visit our national forests to see how badly our natural resources are being mismanaged. Logging has been banned, excess fuel is not being removed and unmaintained forest service roads are deteriorated to the point of being unusable. Bureaucrats in Washington, DC don't have a clue.

That's only part of the picture.

In those days, many wildfires -- possibly most, I haven't looked it up -- were started by sparks from railroad travel in remote places where fire suppression was impossible. This was during the logging boom of the steam era. They'd punch a line in with no right-of-way because it was temporary, log out the area, then rip up the tracks and move them to the next site. This practice did not last long, and neither did that rash of fires. That was not an ecological phenomenon but, rather, another human one. For a "real" picture of what fire rates "used to be like", you'd have to go to the last time temperatures were more-or-less like they are now, but prior to the Industrial Revolution... which came on the tail of the Little Ice Age. So, maybe 500 years ago? There's not a lot of stands old enough to hold good tree-ring data to reconstruct that sort of information, and there sure wasn't a significant... uhh, fire media, I guess?

At any rate, it's head-in-the-sand contrarianism to argue that there's not an ecological impact as a result of human activity, or that we shouldn't expend effort and resources to do better. I get in the round-and-round with the Wildlife folks all the time about how far is appropriate -- for example, when a wildlife biologist and I look at a snag, I see a hazard and they see habitat. Still, we are on the same team and the push and pull between priorities is natural and productive. Science isn't fascism. It's a process, and it's fallible, and it learns and improves. Patience.

Been out so long lately. Had to go back stateside for a stint, then I got married, now I am over in Wicklow trying to start a business. I still have an 044 tho. So might go otu to a friends estate and help them out with the recent storm damage.

OK, headed out to the estate next week. It's the same one I used to be the forester on in Waterford with all those huge trees. Storms last week, and storms tonight. They'll need plenty of help. Until then, here's a vid of the nonsense I have been up to lately:

I'd like to come to help clean up. I have 2 small saws and a Stihl brushcutter. Nov 10-12, 2017 could be doable. Nov 3-5, 2017 is not feasible.

That may be a bit late ;)
This 10mm 044 pulls a 24" bar in Oak with ease.

166472973.KhXALhCw.jpg

Those are all from the same trunk. A hedge oak(Quercus Rubrus - red oak) that's well over 100 years old. Maybe 7' or so at the base. I won't bother with the 044 at that point. The ported 281XP will pull a bar buried in that sort of wood rather well. It's oiler is far more generous than the one on the Stihl, too.

Charlie...I won't be able to do any actual work but if you need another set of eyes or some ideas I'd be glad to help any way I can.

Thanks, Bob. At this point I don't even know what needs we have and I'm not looking for manual helpers, but I'm certainly open to educational assistance regarding how best to deal with the, as yet unknown, new environment and what to do going forward.
I look forward to seeing folks in a month or so. With luck, things will have settled down by then - maybe even get some rain.

Man, I'm with you 100%. If nothing else, I'll see you in a few weeks and we can get to WORK!

Same here. My schedule is more open now, so I can lend a hand at the parks and/or the Archer Taylor preserve pretty much as needed.

I'm not worth much, but if I make it down I can help run a small cutting crew and maybe fall a couple uglies.
I do need to get out of town for a bit.

Don't sell yourself short Randy. Whatever assistance you can give us will be greatly appreciated. Your experience and direction/guidance will come in handy. We're lucky to have folks like you, Bob, Bill, Nate, Kevin, and Patty to give us hacks needed guidance and direction. You can of course use my saws if you feel the need to step in.

Update: Sandys house did not burn. A ranger went up there and took some pics.

That's fantastic news Tyler. I'm hoping that IHC fire truck survived as well.

Email notifications of replies here have been hit and miss for me lately. I haven't received any notifications from AS in several weeks. Means I'm relying on my memory (which is also hit and miss as of late...) to prompt me to check in on the thread to see the latest news. If I don't answer up at a point when I should............somebody please send me an email or a text to remind me to check in here. I just read four pages to get caught up.

Saturday was "mop-up" at my buddy's property. felling large burned pines on his scorched 30 acres. messy job! fun job! afterfire is really an amazing site, the power is overwhelming. have you noticed that fire seems to have a mind of it's own, attitude, personality? heres 30, black and white burned to the ground, acres right next door is a beautiful, untouched home with tomatoes still on the vine... defensible space is one thing, fire breaks, watered lawns, ect... but it appears that "hot monster" picks and choses.
see you guys in a couple weeks. sandy is getting the grub together. burgers for dinner and lunch meat, rolls , chips, soda..... simple stuff. I am hoping the shirts make it here on time. I had our volunteer coordinator make some up.
aaron, im pretty sure the fire truck survived.

We plan on coming up Thursday afternoon 11/9 to spend some time hiking in the park. Jill and the boys are coming up with me. What can we bring to help out with breakfasts and other meals? Are any tools needed besides saws this year?

Would it be ok with the group if we park our pop-up trailer where we camped the last couple of years? It's easier for the boys to get to sleep away from the campfire.

I was cutting fire-kill today at work, was a good time. I'll be there probably late Thursday night same as last year. Maybe Friday around noon, getting a late start because of hang-ups about picking the RV up. No biggie. I'll have saw parts for a few folks.

If anyone has PM 850 or Super 250 parts including bars, fuel caps, or clutch covers please bring them to the GTG.

Bill I have parts for both saw series. What in specific does each saw need? I'll need a little time to dig through the bins. Bars and basically all parts are different for each of those saw families (in case you didn't already know this).

Latest posts

Back