Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right on madH. ive youtubed a little... what shall we do with the lumber? build a REALLY heavy picnic bench so our camper cant move it all over the park?
If you don't think of need at Bothe, I can suggest a milling project. One of the casualties at the Preserve was the bridge that gives us vehicle access to the other side of Redwood Creek. The tread planks are easily replaced but the support beams are approximately 12'x16"x3" and all 6 of them were burned. I milled them when we updated the bridge from redwood log underpinnings to steel I-beam construction, but I had a lot of time and suitable trees to mill.
Just tossing that option out there. In no way do I want to siphon off from efforts that would benefit Bothe.

Bridge 1.jpg

most of the logs I have are only about 8 ft and fir and black oak. not sure if that timber would be appropriate. lets look around for some redwood in 12'+ lengths. id love to help you build the bridge too!!

most of the logs I have are only about 8 ft and fir and black oak. not sure if that timber would be appropriate. lets look around for some redwood in 12'+ lengths. id love to help you build the bridge too!!

Fir is what we used the last time. Redwood would be great, too, just not something we've had available in that size. Cutting live redwoods is prohibited on the Preserve - no such protection for DFs.

Oregon was cold. I am in the evil empire and should show up tomorry.
right on slowp! There is a trailer there right now but will move on Thursday by noonish. The state park inspection dude... We can set you up in that area, he may not even be there, but his trailer is kinda in the way. If its awkward you can camp near my house or anywhere in the campground. I have extention cord and water. The campground has no hookups. Sorry about miscommunications with that guy. See you soon!

Hi Aaron. I'm not sure of the story of these four saws, the Super 250 and three PM 850s, but they have never seen wood. The saws were used to power some sort pump that was coupled directly to the crankshaft. None of the saws have clutches, clutch covers, bars. fuel/oil caps. I have only tried to start the Super 250. Gas in the carb and three pulls and it was off to the races.

BTW these saws came out of the dumpster at the local university.

THREE PM850's and a Super 250 in a dumpster? Used to power a pump? Wow. Keep an eye on that dumpster for more treasures.

I'll dig through my stuff. Don't know if I have any good tapered shaft clutches or clutch covers left for the large frame saws (S250, etc). The Super uses a tapered clutch hub unlike the threaded hub of the smaller/lower powered saws in that family. I know I can kick in an NOS set of bar plates for the Super. Any surplus bars I'd have for that saw will be shorter (19-21" or so). I can't remember exactly what's there. I don't have many surplus 10-series bars for the 850's. I'll have to dig through the stacks to refresh my memory about that one too. Hopefully Nate has what's needed in his box. In my 10-series stash I think I can come up with a good clutch cover/clutch/bar plate/etc or two. Maybe three.....

For the third (or is it fourth?) year in a row, I'm sick for the GTG. Some bug went through the rest of the family, then finally got me (despite my attempts of warding it off with 5K+ mg daily doses of Vitamin C). Between that bug and some issues I'm having with recently changed meds, I don't think I'll be much for late night drinkin'/etc. Hoping I'll be feeling better by Friday. I should be there a bit after noon in any case.....

THREE PM850's and a Super 250 in a dumpster? Used to power a pump? Wow. Keep an eye on that dumpster for more treasures.

I'll dig through my stuff. Don't know if I have any good tapered shaft clutches or clutch covers left for the large frame saws (S250, etc). The Super uses a tapered clutch hub unlike the threaded hub of the smaller/lower powered saws in that family. I know I can kick in an NOS set of bar plates for the Super. Any surplus bars I'd have for that saw will be shorter (19-21" or so). I can't remember exactly what's there. I don't have many surplus 10-series bars for the 850's. I'll have to dig through the stacks to refresh my memory about that one too. Hopefully Nate has what's needed in his box. In my 10-series stash I think I can come up with a good clutch cover/clutch/bar plate/etc or two. Maybe three.....

For the third (or is it fourth?) year in a row, I'm sick for the GTG. Some bug went through the rest of the family, then finally got me (despite my attempts of warding it off with 5K+ mg daily doses of Vitamin C). Between that bug and some issues I'm having with recently changed meds, I don't think I'll be much for late night drinkin'/etc. Hoping I'll be feeling better by Friday. I should be there a bit after noon in any case.....
No problem Arron. Clutches and clutch covers seem to be available on ebay. Plenty of hard nose bars but fewer roller/sprocket nose bars.

Latest posts

Back