North East Storm Prep Thread...Lets get one goin'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turning west

I see Sandy has started it's westward turn and picked up speed, traveling NW @ 27. Has also gained a little strength @ 90 MPH sustained winds, with gusts to 115.
Looks like the computer models hit this one on the head with their predictions. We've been getting 30-50 mph winds, with maybe a few gusts to 60, all day long. This is probably the worst storm I've seen this late in the year. At least now that it is moving faster, it will get over with sooner.
I wish all those to the north the best in dealing with this storm.

Heres a picture my uncle just sent me, he lives on the Delaware Bay in Cape May NJ. Im pretty sure he's going to lose his house. A couple hours until the hurricane's full force hits him and high tide.

Holy crap. Yeah we're not gonna able to rent a beach house this year. Friggin Trenton is gonna be waterfront property if this persists.

....Sitting here along the shoreline in Ct...riding it out......We're about 4 miles in from the shore actually....windy as hell!! Still got power..(for now)!

Been hit by some decent wind gusts here, a bit over 50mph now. Along with some crazy rain now. Clearly not the worst area hit by this storm but enough to do some serious damage. Spent the whole day getting generators running for people. Now it's time to ride out the night and see what happens.

Hows everyone hanging in there. Got the two dogs and my gf up against the couch in he rec room riding it out. This thing is MEAN atleast where I'm at. I can hear about a 1/4 mile away the trees snapping like toothpicks. Hang in there fellas. Hope I have enough gas for tomorrows cutting.

Power flickered off a few times, but came right back on. Still very windy, but I think the worst is over. :cheers::msp_thumbup:

Gots a blizzard going on here.

Worst part so far is having to sweep the dish off every thirty minutes to get TV signal!!

But I'd be surprised if we have power by morning, trees are already snow covered, roads are pretty much impassable without chains at this point. By morning, that may not even be enough.

Did get some gas, had 3 cans of Moto-mix and a case of Tru-fuel, so that should be enough for the saws. Way its looking, they could get a good running....

Otherwise, will wait for the inevitable power outages (good thing we have gas heat), sleep in tomorrow and then fire up the old wood stove in the garage and see if I can get the generator going..

Wut oh, power just flickered, this could be my last transmission for a while....

I started getting ready saturday, picked up a few chains, gal oil bar oil. Went to the supermarket and grabbed a few things. I always keep some canned goods and water at all times. Yesterday I fueled up the truck and my wifes car also 2.5 gal of mix and another 8 gal of regular. Last night I got my equipment ready for the truck. I bought a rubbermaid action packer snaplock bin that hold my tools in bad weather. I put my fuel, quart of bar oil, saw tools extra chain and hatchet in that, then I had a milkcrate with my 15' chain with grab hook and a 6' choker strap. I also packed my Dolmar PS 540 in its case wrapped in a contractor bag. We still have power, made what I dubbed "hurricane chicken" for supper. 4 thin boneless breasts on a lightly oiledcast iron frying pan, bake at 350*, 20 min in add bacon strips to breasts, 5 min later add graded cheese and bbq sauce of your choice. Enjoy.

Wind has been blowin' 40-50 all day here with constant rain and tides are higher than I've seen in the past 6 years. Looks like the wind is just starting to back off a little now that the storm has come ashore up north. The surprising thing is I haven't heard many trees coming down. We'll see in the morning. Good luck to everyone getting thru it w/o much damage!

..Well we fared the storm pretty well...didn't lose power, but the inlaws did...so in the truck went the Honda! Spent most of the afternoons running the saws helping out friends where I can....Schools will be closed pretty much the rest of the week I believe..Stay safe!

Did not need to fire up the Gen. but it was ready to go if needed. Fired up my 346 and my 026 to make sure there was no issues. I always have a stock of sharp chains, bar oil and 2 stroke oil, Fuel is the only needed item. The Honda Eu2000 runs a long time on a gallon. 3 gallons will give me about 4-5 days depending what I am running. I did take the shop truck home with a full tank of gas, so that could have been my alt gas station. I am with in walking distance of the shop I work, in with a 30 gallon tank. None the less make sure you stuff runs when you dont need it, so you are all set when you do need it.
This weekend I will be busy responding to some tree customers that need stuff cleared, cut and moved. Be safe, Chris

We lost power for about 36 hours.

I drove around today, there is a lot of wood for the taking laying on the sides of the road.

We lost power for about 36 hours.

I drove around today, there is a lot of wood for the taking laying on the sides of the road.
There is a lot of wood lying by the side of the road along my property. It is NOT for the taking. Be cautious what you assume you can take and be sure to get permission.

Latest posts

Back