NOS never gassed Poulan 655BP........ My Holy Grail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:msp_thumbup::bowdown::msp_thumbup:

I have a set of Boyesen reeds waiting. Is the carb big enough......or is there another I should be hunting?

Where does a guy come up with these boyesen reeds? I have some new but old reed pedals got my old mx bike...

:msp_thumbup::bowdown::msp_thumbup:

I have a set of Boyesen reeds waiting. Is the carb big enough......or is there another I should be hunting?

It depends which carb is on it. One thing with Pioneers, they used many different Walbros on the same models. It's probably got an SDC, I like them better than the WJ. They used the same carbs on the 98cc saws so it should be fine.

Where does a guy come up with these boyesen reeds? I have some new but old reed pedals got my old mx bike...

They have a website.

It depends which carb is on it. One thing with Pioneers, they used many different Walbros on the same models. It's probably got an SDC, I like them better than the WJ. They used the same carbs on the 98cc saws so it should be fine.

Yes it does have the SDC. Thanks for the info on these animals......I never get to play with these so I'm in uncharted waters.

I must be blind because I can't seem to find anything on there sight dealing with any type of chainsaws. Could someone throw me a bone with a link or even a part number. Thanks

That saw is definitely not a Shelf Queen............................. but is certainly a Shelf KING! :bowdown:

?????????????????????? Wondering if the EX designation could be short for EXPERT OR DELUXE

I must be blind because I can't seem to find anything on there sight dealing with any type of chainsaws. Could someone throw me a bone with a link or even a part number. Thanks

I had to call them. Part number for the P50 reed is 801 if I remember right.

reeds, carb

Carb on my P51 is SDC F-380 with the venturi reamed out. Same reeds fit P42 (and maybe smaller) on up to the big guns.

So........it's sorta kinda like a finger port. I can work with that. I would need an "extra" P50 jug before I tried grinding too much on the one I have.

It could be that the P50/P60 relationship is like the Husky 365/372......in that the smaller bore gives you more meat to grind in fingers.

Now I'm thinking.......that could be dangerous.

I'll be interested to see how you make out. Maybe I'll send you one of mine.....

So basically they just added an additional open transfer port? I guess I thought there was something more "special" about it from an engine technology standpoint - is there something I'm missing (I mean, about this...)?

So basically they just added an additional open transfer port? I guess I thought there was something more "special" about it from an engine technology standpoint - is there something I'm missing (I mean, about this...)?

That's pretty much it. The special thing about these saws is the amazing power they have without the boost port. The extra port makes them a little better. Near perfect timing numbers and large port openings is what really makes them shine. Kinda like the Dolmar 7900 is today. Plus they look good and are simple to work on.

Sometimes something as simple as that will have a big effect on things. Ever seen a finger port? Purdy simple yet effective in the right situation!

Thanks for the explanation - I wasn't downing it BTW, I was just trying to clear away the marketing fluff and figure out what it really was. I gotta say I never really looked into this series of Pioneer/Poulan saws before this and Mastermind's recent thread, and I really like the way they're made. The design really impresses me and the just look cool too. While I'll likely never get a large displacement saw, if I dream about finding an old saw in a barn, this is what it looks like!

boost ports

I have a couple of P45s or PP455s that I built from junk. They have a third transfer opposite the exhaust port. They're superb little saws with lots of torque, but I still don't think they'd outrun the P42 I had. I've heard some of the five-cubers also had similar boost port, but I've never seen one. Also, didn't some Macs have a 'third port'?

Many of the Mac kart blocks and the 125s had boost ports. A lot of so-called 9-port saw blocks had a third transfer duct and/or a carb direct duct that bypassed the reeds. Not the same as the boost ports.

I have a couple of P45s or PP455s that I built from junk. They have a third transfer opposite the exhaust port. They're superb little saws with lots of torque, but I still don't think they'd outrun the P42 I had. I've heard some of the five-cubers also had similar boost port, but I've never seen one. Also, didn't some Macs have a 'third port'?

The P45 is a great saw. They're "boost port" was an internal transfer like you mentioned. I do have a P52 (5 cube) with a boost port. It's the same style as the 655's BP. Some of the P42 High Performance models had the same style 3rd transfer as the P45. Plus all of the P42's I've seen had the thin rings.

The 101b's have some sort of boost port. You can see two "bumps" in the casting, that are not on the regular 125/ 797 blocks.

Saw King shows the boost ports at the 4:00 mark in this vid:

[video=youtube;fTZbScIJvJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTZbScIJvJM[/video]

Latest posts

Back