Not another MS261 thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran Matt's 261 yesterday, I thought it lacked power it bogged down in the cut too easily, Matt's 5100-S will beat it by a fair margin.

I have no real bias for any one brand, but something up if the 5100 is out running it that badly. I'm thinking chain setup, but who know maybe Matt has an exceptionally good running 5100. I've seen this happen before with other saws, my 346 is one of then.:cool2:

Well, us blokes over in Oz are happy to make your morning more interesting.

Pretty cool that we can have technical discussions half a world away.

I have no real bias for any one brand, but something up if the 5100 is out running it that badly. I'm thinking chain setup, but who know maybe Matt has an exceptionally good running 5100. I've seen this happen before with other saws, my 346 is one of then.:cool2:

Hope you feel better soon Andy :) Chain setup shouldn't have been an issue as it was untouched RSC. No lower rakers just straight out the box.

I will however trim the H tabs and maybe try to richen it up again but as I mentioned, it grew on me just a bit more this afternoon.

Hope you feel better soon Andy :) Chain setup shouldn't have been an issue as it was untouched RSC. No lower rakers just straight out the box.

I will however trim the H tabs and maybe try to richen it up again but as I mentioned, it grew on me just a bit more this afternoon.

Fungus?
A spot of bleach will help with that.

Thanks Matt!! feeling better already.:cheers:

I was talking about .325 chain, it would likely work a little better on the Stihl, that's how the 346 is anyway. I totally understand wanting to run 3/8 I would on my 346, but it just runs so well with .325

Give her some time maybe she's Stihl a bit tight.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I was talking about .325 chain, it would likely work a little better on the Stihl, that's how the 346 is anyway. I totally understand wanting to run 3/8 I would on my 346, but it just runs so well with .325

Give her some time maybe she's sStihl a bit tight.:biggrin:

Yeah I thought you may have meant .325" :)

I honestly think it needs a bit more run time plus a bit more fat on the H.

Back again guys. Well, I had to check a tree felling crew this morning that was doing a job for me and low and behold they had two MS260's die within a short period which looked to be blocked breathers or a fueling issue - on closer inspection these poor things had been thrashed and definately due for some serious TLC. Even the 660 they swapped to had copped a beating with a badly cracked filter cover etc. It was at least running well though!
I spoke to the young guy in the crew who said they unfortunately ended up with all the crappy saws for the day :)
Anyway, my house was only 5 minutes away so I bolted home and came back with the 261. I said if he looks after it he can run it for a couple of weeks and see what he thinks. He thought it was christmas!
These guys run .325" on their 260's out the bucket so I said to him just swap his bar, chain, and rim over and go nuts - otherwise run the 3/8" that was on it.
I said I'll call him in a few weeks and see what he thinks. I'm sure he won't be the only one running it as the supervisor who I know from my golf club was also pretty keen to see it. They didn't even know there was a 260 replacement.
Funny thing is that when they are due to replace their 260's they'll already know what to expect.

07032011986.jpg

Back again guys. Well, I had to check a tree felling crew this morning that was doing a job for me and low and behold they had two MS260's die within a short period which looked to be blocked breathers or a fueling issue - on closer inspection these poor things had been thrashed and definately due for some serious TLC. Even the 660 they swapped to had copped a beating with a badly cracked filter cover etc. It was at least running well though!
I spoke to the young guy in the crew who said they unfortunately ended up with all the crappy saws for the day :)
Anyway, my house was only 5 minutes away so I bolted home and came back with the 261. I said if he looks after it he can run it for a couple of weeks and see what he thinks. He thought it was christmas!
These guys run .325" on their 260's out the bucket so I said to him just swap his bar, chain, and rim over and go nuts - otherwise run the 3/8" that was on it.
I said I'll call him in a few weeks and see what he thinks. I'm sure he won't be the only one running it as the supervisor who I know from my golf club was also pretty keen to see it. They didn't even know there was a 260 replacement.
Funny thing is that when they are due to replace their 260's they'll already know what to expect.

07032011986.jpg

Well that’s one boomerang that wont come back. I like the look of the Mercedes with the rear mount. It even looks like a 4x4. I don’t recognize the lift. Do you know what it is??

Well that’s one boomerang that wont come back. I like the look of the Mercedes with the rear mount. It even looks like a 4x4. I don’t recognize the lift. Do you know what it is??

It is indeed a 4 x 4. Not sure of the lift manufacturer but these guys have 3 of these trucks plus a newer one which I think is a Hino. All ex electricity trust vehicles.

I like those Mercedes HD trucks myself. The city government just south of me uses one for their storm drain pumper truck and it's a sharp looking unit. Theirs is 4WD too and has a really beefy drive train.

It is indeed a 4 x 4. Not sure of the lift manufacturer but these guys have 3 of these trucks plus a newer one which I think is a Hino. All ex electricity trust vehicles.

Fine looking truck. With an alpine, a wool rack and a set of mid mounted stabilizers on her, it would be a perfect truck for homeowner lots. Lift looks like a beefy affair with that dual bucket. Not much experience with Mercedes “trucks” in the states. All grey market as near as I can figure.

That model Mercedes truck is basically the definition of heavy duty and our African neighbours have definitely proven that. I grew up with these trucks as a kid and loved to watch all 3 wipers operate. This model is close to 50 years old and boasts "modern" features like a syncro gearbox - non of that road ranger stuff. And with 4x4 its almost a unimog :)

Oh sure, rub it in a little. Always wanted a Unimog 406. Best we can due state sides is the Mitsubushi Fuso FG. Great truck but they want the moon and the stars for each one. To think that there might be a market for a 4x4 medium/heavy duty truck in the states.

Latest posts

Back