Not another MS261 thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha sorry, yeah a 406 with a PTO winch and crane would be the ultimate firewood truck. You could even mount a saw bench if you wanted or a splitter. The 20t towing capacity could come in handy also... How rare are unimogs in the US, I remember seeing quite a few advertised in the US over the years. From memory Case sold them at one point.

Older Unimogs are not that uncommon in the states but as near as I can figure, most were limited to either municipal or military use. Many of the National Guard unit Unimogs are reported to have CASE (International Harvester) front end loaders and rear backhoe mounts.
The States has some funky rules about 5MPH bumpers and such that may or may not cause “issues” with the registration of non standard vehicles. Same theories apply to the modern “Japan Mini trucks” that are not legal for street usage cuz around here, a vehicle that can go get a couple of bags of grain and still get 50MPG is just plain wrong. As a result, depending on the State you inhabit (drunk/sober), you may or not be able to register a Unimog assuming you can actually find one that isn’t rusted to hell. Getting around the tire, brake and rim issue is another matter.

Ahhh that makes sense yeah, theres always a catch ins't there.... all I can suggest is do a Schwarzenegger and get a humvee - at least they have portal axles :msp_thumbup:

Oh and sorry Matt, we have gone way off topic again... the 261 sure does seem like a nice saw I may have to try one out in the near future. Like you say, the filter is a big advantage. I haven't cut a lot of dry nasty stuff with my 346, mostly felling/limbing green timber. But at least the upside down orientation of the filter keeps itself clean. But in your your line of work I would say the 261 is the only way to go.

Ahhh that makes sense yeah, theres always a catch ins't there.... all I can suggest is do a Schwarzenegger and get a humvee - at least they have portal axles :msp_thumbup:

Oh and sorry Matt, we have gone way off topic again... the 261 sure does seem like a nice saw I may have to try one out in the near future. Like you say, the filter is a big advantage. I haven't cut a lot of dry nasty stuff with my 346, mostly felling/limbing green timber. But at least the upside down orientation of the filter keeps itself clean. But in your your line of work I would say the 261 is the only way to go.

Doesn't worry me mate :cheers: I love these old Merc trucks. Tough as nails and like the UNIMOGs, they'll go anywhere. These guys could do a lot worse than these trucks. In fact I think this company bought either a new Hino or Isuzu simply because of a higher lift, not because these Mercs were giving them any trouble.
The Unimogs in the army really get up and go with their 16 speed boxes. If I won the lottery I'd buy one just for the hell of it :)

Last edited:
Doesn't worry me mate :cheers: I love these old Merc trucks. Tough as nails and like the UNIMOGs, they'll go anywhere. These guys could do a lot worse than these trucks. In fact I think this company bought wither a new Hino or Isuzu simply because of a higher lift, not because these Mercs were gicing them any trouble.
The Unimogs in the army really get up and go with their 16 speed boxes. If I won the lottery I'd buy one just for the hell of it :)

Good idea, one of my friends, a girl who drives unimogs in the army told me that the army will be updating their fleet shortly and moving to an American International truck from memory. So there should be quite a few of them at auctions in the near future. I think I might have to start saving... haha

That model Mercedes truck is basically the definition of heavy duty and our African neighbours have definitely proven that.

What are you talking about Rudy?

ATT12259.jpg

Good stuff! I couldn't find the front on pictures but have them somewhere :)

Same here, I found the front on pic but not the other one haha. Thats how we also used to transport firewood back in the day. The trees were felled and cut into sections (all by hand) and then loaded the truck like a pyramid. The fun part was sitting on top of the pyramid, but only fun if you had a good driver and stacked it well ;)

Good idea, one of my friends, a girl who drives unimogs in the army told me that the army will be updating their fleet shortly and moving to an American International truck from memory. So there should be quite a few of them at auctions in the near future. I think I might have to start saving... haha

FWIW the ADF has just started taking delivery of the new G-Wagens to replace the 110 Landies, both 4x4's and 6x6's (except the SASR LRPV's)

AFAIK there hasn't been any 'official' announcement on replacing the 'Mogs and Macks, and it's running seriously late. ADM: Land Warfare: The life and times of Land 121 Overlander | ADM Nov 2010

Matt, I just watched the vids of your 261 in the 2-man GTG thread. More than ever, I still say it's the 3/8 setup is bogging your 261 down. It also sounds lean. You can hear it as the saw comes down from RPM. Your running a 7-pin 3/8 rim, which is the equivalent to a 8-pin .325. You need a 7-pin .325 on a stock 50cc saw. Stihl doesn't even offer the 261 with a 3/8 setup, and I can see why now. Just give a try and I think you'll be happily surprised. Here are some vids of my 261 when it was brand new.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WOZTvF2XT4E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9PHbEK849MQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gIpiD-jjvuc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As mentioned in the other thread Brad I'll have to trim the limiter tabs to richen it up anymore, it's as rich as she'll go at the moment. When I get it back off the tree crew I'll do that.
In all honesty though I can't see why a 261 can't run 3/8" properly when even an old 029 can run it fine in our hardwoods with bars up to 20". Not to mention my 5100-S will pull it fine.
I'm sure that richening it up will help, I've known it's been too lean (14,200rpm no load), and I haven't given up on it yet :cheers:
I really don't think I'll need to run .325" on this saw once it's setup properly.

For the guys that have done it any tips on trimming the limiter tabs? The socket set I have isn't small enough to fit into the carb nuts so just checking that I do have to remove the carby to get to the tabs?
Not as obvious as I thought it would be :(
By the way, the tree crew that borrowed it stopped running it pretty quickly as one of the guys picked up on the fact it was too lean and didn't want to sieze it up.

It's all well and good to say that this saw pulling 14,200rpm no load is within Stihl's specs but their specs have to abide by the EPA regs. In reality I think it's far too lean on this particular saw. There is also a fair amount of H adjustment on the lean side - got me confused as to why they'd have that much adjustment when it's already too lean.

I still like this 261 by the way, I just have to fix more Gremlins than you should on a new saw. The average saw user would be none the wiser about the lean running and lack of power and the average dealer can't do anything about the lean running without trimming tabs and voiding the warranty. Stupid situation really for a new saw.

good to see stihl in your stable matt, my old 280 is pulling 3/8 063 on a 18" bar no stress at all, that 261 should handle it eh.

Stihl is as Stihl does, nothing has changed.

Just look up my thread in a minute on converting my 660 to 9mm bar studs so I can (or was HOPING to) run my vast array of Husky bars. Not sure about the German engineering bit but certainly a bit of Irish in it I'm sure.

good to see stihl in your stable matt, my old 280 is pulling 3/8 063 on a 18" bar no stress at all, that 261 should handle it eh.

Should be able to handle it when she's richened up a bit ;)

All the hissy fits and a multitude of mods, adjustments to new saws, makes me glad I'm not putting up with it. I love my smoke belching monsters.

Latest posts

Back