nothing like the smell of a new husky in the morning.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
the company i currently work for has all stihl. the other climber and i finaly talked him into buying 2 husky's. so tonite i just slapped a 28in bar on a 385xp and a 16in bar on a 357xp. i can't wait to fire those bad boys up in the am.

husky

Never owned one before last week, got my first Husky, the little guy, 335C for limbing with the 14' bar. I expect it to last a few years. Tore it all apart to see how they are put together and then put it back together and fired it up on Friday. Wizzed through a black cherry tree all the way to the stump to see if it could preform. I like it. I like the smell of coffee in the am. to get my eyes open though sawdust and saws aren't bad.

spike it,

Good for you!

I've run both Husky and Stihl, among others for many years. Stihl's are great saws, but I'll likely never buy another. Husky has pretty much surpassed them, model for model.

The 357 gets the same power from less cc's, as the 036, in a lighter body, with better controls, filtration, vibration damping, etc. The 385 stock is a bit slower than the current 066. (Also a smaller saw) but modify them both and it will outcut it. So I've heard, I dont have one. But I have a Madsen's power tuned 372, cuts about 12% over stock, and have a Walkerized one on the way, which is 35-38% faster. It may outcut my dual port muffler 066 Magnum. And a Greffardized 346XP is coming too, that also has amazing power gains over stock. I hear it will keep up with an 044 if the wood is under 16-20 inches. Not bad for a 2.7 ci, 2.5 lb lighter saw.

I am one of the few that stuck with the 335, problems and all, now mostly solved. With three new Husky climbing saws on their way, the overpriced 020T will have more legitimate competition. My Walkerized 335 is amazing!!

In possession of five modified saws, with two more in the mail, it is the way to go for sure!! Stock is boring- and slow!!

Roger

Barnett Tree Care, Seattle

ISA Certified Arborist

well the 357 with a 16 in bar is a pretty sweet climbing saw. i had an oak to taday that i figured about 6 cuts then dump the stick. i brought that bad boy up with me. the 385 is also nice with a 28 in bar but i would not go bigger in bar length. i used to have a 394 that i kept a 24 in bar on, now thats a chunking saw. i like big saws with short bars. you guys opened up whole new world to me with these performance saws. i have a 288 thats a personal saw and pretty new. i'm thinking about sending it out for some power boosting. do they add nitro? i could carry the tank on my back.

What's the biggest saw people climb with? The guy I work with has taken the 088 out climbing, but I'm wondering about bigger saws than that. It's a lot of saw to handle in a tree...

I did see that Bailey's poster with loggers in the top of a tree with huge saws, but that's the biggest I've seen.

Nickrosis

I've had the Husky 3120 with a 36" bar up in the tree already. Piecing out 6" slabs of a huge oak in the back yard, right next to the house.

Also used a Jonsered 2094, no compression release. What a bear. I usually just left it running between cuts to save my arms.

i've used a 3120 with both 36 and 42 inch bars in a tree. it just a little tough sinking it in level. but once the cut is started its nice to pass through with a big saw. i work in a lot of tight back yards and have to piece down the wood alot. a 394 with a 32 inch bar met most of my needs in a tree. just pulling the 3120 up the rope is work. but the occaisional willow, atlantis or silver required a big bar. even a big stick on a lean requires a longer bar.

A long time ago I had the Homelite 1130 G with a 4 foot bar in a tree, and will never do that again! 046 with a 36" is hopefully all I'll ever need again.

Spike it,

Hop up that 385 and it will pull a 42 inch bar with ease. My lightly modified (Madsen's power tuned) 372 breezed through blocking the lower 50 feet of a dead douglas fir today, with the 32 bar on, old chain, 38 inch butt cut. I love that saw, however it is a beast with a 24 bar and 8 tooth sprocket. Can't wait til gypo logger's saws come in the mail- appx 7.4 hp Walkerized 372XPG and ~4.5 hp Greffardized346XP. Like new, and I got em for $960 to my door, off ebay. I'm sending my greffardized 3120 carb to the "Man", Ken Dunn to have tricked as he did another 3120; it went from a 19 second cut to 12.5 (stock was 29!!) Second cut with my seven yr old 3120 after Greffardizing was with the five foot bar in a 6 foot maple butt. It took all my strength to pull below the power band. But I want more!!!!

In need of 12 step program, for this certifiable saw junkie.

rbtree may become my new idol. scotty we need more power! i love running big saws. oh and one more thing i hated about the 335 climbing saw. the back covers always fell off then the boot over the spark plug wire gets worn. in a sweaty t shirt i've shocked my chest many a time. ouch that hurt.

smell

OK here goes. I read alot about hop it up and it will outrun a Stihl. But the Stihl will outrun it if you don't. I want the saw to out run it out of the box, not after spending more money on it.

No offense to the guys that do this for a living, you are providing a service people want, and ,from what i read, do a very good job.

I want to sell it knowing it does the job now.

OK let me have it.

I can second that!
The back head cover on the Husqvarna 335 is cheap crap, nothing more nothing less.

So what....

It is designed better on the new cases, and stays on, unless it gets hit and broken. Cheap to replace, and easy to hold on with black tape... a non issue.

Stihltech,

I have been running saws in a real work environment for 30 years, so I know my saws pretty darn well. I've run more Stihls than Husky, they both run well, and last. But, sorry to say, Stihl has done little to improve their lineup for many years, whereas Husky has kept refining. Head to head, saw for saw, Husky is a bit better, power equal or better. The stock 066 is no longer superior, til the dual port muffler is installed, but it is still lighter than a 395. ( Ken Dunn says the 395 is poor compared to the 394, i forget why...)036 and 044 nice, but 372 and 357 better. I plain dont like the 026, as I've stated before. The 346, if it lasts, is better. (My old one ring, hi revving 154, sure lasted....) The 335 is not as bad as most think, and the new models due are anticipated by many of us...

But heck, from what it sounds like, the new Dolmar's and Efco's are darn good, discounting of course, the non existant US distribution network.

First shots with my first digital camera, a Canon G2:

Nick,

That shot, by Gerry Beranek, and crew, was a setup. Looks like 2 090's, about 30 pounds, a 056, 051, and maybe a Husky??

088 and 3120 are currently the largest production saws available, as the 090 is no longer imported to N.A.

We have some pretty big timber in the Puget Sound area, but not much really huge, like 20 miles into the hills... I doubt I've had my 3120 up a tree more than 3-4 times. Lots of 36" bar 066 work though!! Before I got it, I had a 2100 Husky, before that, never had a saw with a bar longer than 36".

But things are growing happily, if you come to ISA conference, you will see an 11 foot at the base, 120 yr young baby giant sequoia.

You don't mess around with digital cameras! G2 is top of the line, and I wouldn't take another picture with out ours. I'd like to take it to Europe with me because I could e-mail pictures back and post them while I'm there without trouble. The problem with being in Europe the rest of this summer is that I'll miss the ISA conference. :(

I enjoy big saws, but Milwaukee doesn't have a whole lot of use for them. We whip out the 088 and 084 for the willow stump cuts, but that's the end of it in most cases.

Michael Oxman has wanted me to hit the Northwest, and I would love to go. Maybe next summer. Then again, I hopefully have a lot of summers ahead of me. I was thanking God profusely today when a loppers fell off the top of a ladder and hit my head handle-first. I would be in brain surgery now if it hadn't.

Nickrosis

Been there, done that, about a hundred times, but I usually duck out of the line of incoming fire!....uh...usually...

A few pics of yesterday's job, before the batteries died: A tight residential neighborhood, and the customer's had not gotten all the cars moved, as I had thought, so we had to ask a neighbor to use their driveway on the other side of street. We zipped into the street, then dragged all the brush across. Wasn't easy backing out. Near the end of the job, owner of offending red car showed up, oblivious to the problems she'd caused....Lotsa work for a young doug fir, but it had huge heavy limbs that hung low over lots of delicate perennials...among other obstacles.

Some are taken with a 0.48 wide angle attachment, looks like it bent the tree trunk. Perhaps Mr Maas would say we shoulda guyed the bugger.....

Battery died before I could shoot the second job,(or try out the video mode) a safety thin of construction damaged doug firs, in a much nicer neighborhood, and with spectacular views of Puget Sound. I'll be back there Sunday and get after shots.

.....Lusting after the 6.4 mp Canon D60 SLR that will take all my pro lenses. But man is the size of this little puppy sweet.

Enjoy Europe!!!

the Dodg

Last edited:
A couple more:

This from on top of the steep roof, climbed out the customer's bedroom window, had to use rotting gutter and facia boards for handholds, and found out the roof was hot, whilst backing down, always harder....only a rock climber would know that...LOL

....the second story man....

Last edited:
Haven't learned how to use all the settings yet, such as adjusting manual exposure...ACDC works OK for basic corrections, Have PShop 6, but need to relearn it.

Last edited:
You asked for it RB.
Yes, I would have guyed it.
I suspect you dumped the top on the speed line, which was tied to some small diameter trunk wood.
It's just not that much more work to tie two lines, when you are already tieing one. It takes the slack out of the speed line, as well as making it safer.
It's one of those things you have to try, to appreciate the benifits. Once you go guy, you never go back. Like replacing that Gibbs on your lanyard, an MT and a fair lead work so much better, if you tried it, the gibbs would be back in the tool box.

Cool camera though,I just had my 4.4 mega pixal Toshiba stolen for my car. I was thinking about replacing it with one of those new digital camera bodys that allow you to use the lenses from the old non-digital 35mm cameras. In the world of digitals, the lenses are the weakest link.

Latest posts

Back