Now I Understand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

458_lott

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am slow to transition. I am resistant to change. I am all of that. I have to admit now that I have about six or seven hours on the Stihl MS-460, I understand what all of the whoopla is all about concerning Stihl saws. I have run Stihl saws before (the old school Stihls), but never owned one. I figured a 4.7 cu. in. saw in the Stihl line ran about like most saws that size, but I must say, the big difference I see is the Stihl is smoooooooth. I don't know how to define it other than that lay-term. It is really smooth. I don't know if it cuts any faster than other saws in its class and I don't really care as I don't race, but I do cut wood all day long (when I cut) and the Stihl is a joy to run. It is ergonomically well designed and has no "fatigue factor". I feel like I could run it 12 hours straight. Now I understand and thank all you guys that got me through my whining period when it looked as though I was getting foiled by Stihl and my dealer. It was worth the crap and the wait. I don't cut with it exclusively, but it gets its fair workout. I do find myself reaching for it before grabbing one of my trusty Homelites or the Echo 670. It just fits right. I know many of you guys tout the virtues of Husky so I guess one of them is in the future and I know Dolmars are great as I remember them from the Sachs-Dolmar age, as well as when they built the big Poulans (6000, etc.) Geez, maybe I need to get one of them too. Was kinda looking at the 7900 or the good buy on the equivalent Makita.

About two years I got an old 028 off ebay. It needed a new top end and some other parts. Once I got it together and did some cutting, I realized the same thing: it's a really smooth, well balanced saw. I had the same type of revelation at Joker's GTG in the fall when I fired up the Dolmar 5100. If you didn't see the blue smoke, hear the engine or see the chain spinning, you wouldn't know the thing was running. Hands down the 5100 is the smoothest saw I've run, and the 7900 isn't far behind.

Something to be said for the extra money spent isnt there? Now that I have collected up a few Echos, a Dolmar and put a few hours on them I must admit there may some merit to the "off" :) brands. Spose I ought to find a 372 and see what all the fuss is about?

I guess I was jaded. I didn't think I could be impressed. I am an expert at nothing, but I have run a boatload of saws in my life and I couldn't for the life of me, understand all of the hype about Stihls. I have run Stihls before, but not the newer ones. I just couldn't see all that much difference in them and the big Homelites I owned (just the big price difference). Now I have experienced the difference and I don't even have the dual port muffler on the saw yet. I am not wowwed by the power, but am certainly impressed with the way it handles and its obvious close tolerances in its internal design. A fine piece of machinery. What do you expect from the country that gives us Mercedes, BMW (cars and motorcycles), Porsche, VW, Maico, the Model '98 Mauser, Hechler and Koch, and on-and-on. Jeepers creepers I'm getting excited. I think I will go start it up just for grins.

Amen to the Mauser k98. Although I didnt know it was the best bolt action rifle ever made before I read it in shotgun news. Dont forget the Luger or the Walther p.38, Mg 42. Wow the germans did make some awesome guns. Husqvarna makes some good guns as well, or did im not sure if they still do.

The first and only Stihl I ran for many years was an old 045 mag. It ran great, but you had to have someone follow you around picking up all the screws that would vibrate out. I fought it untill the handlebar fell off during a face cut. I hiked back to the truck, picked up a Husky and never looked back. Untill a couple of years ago when my stepson bought an 044, I was impressed enough with the improvements Stihl had made I bought one.

Chainsaws are like pickups. Who cares what it says on the tailgate, as long as it gets the job done.

Oh yea, when you think of all the good things to come out of Germany, don't forget Adolph Hitler, and WWII.

Andy

I don't recall Hitler building many Beatles. However I do recall something about Nazis, and ethnic cleansing.
I'm not trying to start a fight, but if we forget the things of the past history tends to repeat itself.
As Forest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that"!

Andy

Lakeside53 said:
I don't beleive Adolph made it out of Germany:laugh:

He wasn't even born in Germany, and he did get out of Germany several times. Regrettably he also made his way back......
Justin Garrison said:
Amen to the Mauser k98. Although I didnt know it was the best bolt action rifle ever made before I read it in shotgun news. Dont forget the Luger or the Walther p.38, Mg 42. Wow the germans did make some awesome guns. Husqvarna makes some good guns as well, or did im not sure if they still do.

The Luger and the P38 were both unreliable POS handguns, even though the Lugers usually were well made. John Brownings designs were a lot better.

The MG 42 was (and still is) great, and still in use as the 7.62mm NATO caliber MG-3.

There has been made bolt actions that are better than the K 98, but at the time it was introduced it was truly great.

A lot of Husqvarnas bolt actions were based on a Mauser design that was older than the K 98 - but they started making guns close to 200 years before Mauser, I think.

Don't shoot me - just my opinions when we are off topic anyway. :blob2:

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
He wasn't even born in Germany, and he did get out of Germany several times. Regrettably he also made his way back......

<snip>

Don't shoot me - just my opinions when we are off topic anyway. :blob2:

But he did wind up out of Germany, Russia to be exact...at least his remains did if you believe the reports.

Harry K

British .303 Enfield is faster and holds twice the ammo, !903 Springfield is generally more accurate, !898 Krag has a smoother action, K-31 Swiss is just plain neat, M1917 US Enfield can be rebarreled to hold gigantic Weatherby rounds. The 1898 Mauser has many nice features, the nicest is the ability to rebarrel it without making an extractor cut in the barrel. Hitler was Austrian and Peter Paul Mauser was blinded in one eye while developing a semi automatic rifle. And the Chinese copied the K98 too.

Latest posts

Back