Oak ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut something that looked similar to that occasionally. My uneducated guess would be water oak. If it smells just like cat pee then it kinda gives it away.

I cut something that looked similar to that occasionally. My uneducated guess would be water oak. If it smells just like cat pee then it kinda gives it away.

Mine was on a ridge top though, and water oak looks to be usually found in the bottom lands or along water. It wasn't way, way up ( 75-100 ft? ) but still pretty elevated from the water on rocky soil. The distance away kind of ruled it out being an ornamental planting to me also.

It really isn't that important that the ID gets pinpointed, just was an interesting tree. I certainly don't see ones like that often walking around in the woods here.

also, didn't notice any odor when cutting

Last edited:
That log looks very much like the willow oaks I cut over the summer. Fat rings and all. Willow is a variey of red oak.

Thoughts?

That log looks very much like the willow oaks I cut over the summer. Fat rings and all. Willow is a variey of red oak.

Thoughts?

That also has a native range in the bottom lands, like water oak. I guess it's not out of the realm of possibles, just seems pretty unlikely.

That also has a native range in the bottom lands, like water oak. I guess it's not out of the realm of possibles, just seems pretty unlikely.

A. There are over 200 Oak species'...
B. The damn things can Hybridize...
C. Good luck on your quest grasshopper...
:confident:

I cut 3 sawtooth oak in a yard the wood and bark resembles what you have . It had a very distinctive acorn kinda like a burr oak but the burr almost coveredthe entire acorn. It was very heavy and had wde growth rings. I belive the fast growth helps make it heavyer because there is more dense summer wod compared to porous winter wood.

Could be Sawtooth but I'm thinking Cherrybark, stuff is VERY heavy and takes FOREVER to season, I'm talking 4 plus years.

Was cutting up a few oddball pieces of it today, shows the heartwood I talked about.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have to say it looks like wood oak!
Sorry that was my best guess but what i really wanted to do was compliment you on the pics. Quite fascinating with all the detail. Hope you find your specimen.

I have to say it looks like wood oak!
Sorry that was my best guess but what i really wanted to do was compliment you on the pics. Quite fascinating with all the detail. Hope you find your specimen.

That's what the nurse said...

A. There are over 200 Oak species'...
B. The damn things can Hybridize...
C. Good luck on your quest grasshopper...

Now remember, if I fail on my quest it is not just I who have failed but the entire AS community. It would leave a stain on our good name that would be hard to remove. Even mankind as a whole would suffer.

Nah, actually I'm just gonna throw it in the pile with everything else and be done with it.

Could be Sawtooth but I'm thinking Cherrybark, stuff is VERY heavy and takes FOREVER to season, I'm talking 4 plus years.

Now I'm really coming around to this point of view. Not that I actually agree - I have no idea what cherrybark oak looks like - but when unsure of thy oak....

And just for kicks here's a couple pics of the pin oak I mentioned earlier in the thread. The split on the right is a red oak split with pretty decent rings itself, so you can see how fast the pin is.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can tell you that it's not typical Red or Typical White. What I do know though, is if it produces acorns, and you want a fast growing nut tree for wildlife, that there be the ticket. WOW, I've never seen such growth on a nut tree. Must be optimal growing conditions also (light/water).

Back