Obb ball Oregon bar lengths

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone ever come across Oregon bars of odd lengths? I picked up a ole Husky 285 last week and it came with 2 bars and no chains. I was told they where 24 and 28 inch bars. The shorter one is an inch shorter than a 24 inch oregon I have on a Stihl. It measures 23 inches from the front of the bar rail slot. The longer bar measures 27 inches from the front of the bar slot. There are some #s on the bars but nothing making sense. The longer one is called an FV and has 280-h009 stamped on it and also a 23197 - 3/8. The shorter is 2450-1080uc (which made me think it was a 24" .050 bar) also a 7745 stamped on it. My question is how many drive links are on the chains for these bars? Ive already planned on having chains made but wont to be able to say the amount of drive links i need it made to. I am guessing they are older bars but can still see the red smudged ink that say Oregon on the bars.
PS the saw cleaned up nice and runs really nice for a 35 yr old saw. New pull rope and fuel pump in carb is all i did other than grease cutter, blow gun and elbow grease.

I know. I am sorry, I meant to say Odd ball. I bet it slides by many.

Most bars called 28" (if not all) are about 27" actually, so that one may not be an oddity?

A 23" actual length sounds like a true oddity though....

I have a couple of older Oregon Powermatch bars in .325-.050 K095 that are 15" and 19" and are marked accordingly. I had seen 15" but never a 19" till I got these.

If they are 3/8" pitch, I believe, without looking, as I have both, that the 24" bar has 84 drive links and the 28" bar has 91 drive links.

I tried the 375 050 84 drive link on the smaller one and it is to long. Why would you make a bar and not stamp the DLs on the bar?

If they are 3/8" pitch, I believe, without looking, as I have both, that the 24" bar has 84 drive links and the 28" bar has 91 drive links.

Most D009 Oregon branded and numbered 28" bars are 93 DL. If private labled all bets are off.
I tried the 375 050 84 drive link on the smaller one and it is to long. Why would you make a bar and not stamp the DLs on the bar?

Your sure that's a Oregon branded bar right? Exactly what size is the slot on it? Dose a 81DL chain fit it ?

Can you post a picture of the bar mount on it ?

Odd lengths is one reason I'm considering buying the equipment and making my own length chains. I have a few bars that I haven't found a chain for, they're either too short or too long.

I can answer that one. Some manufactures like Windsor can make a RSN bar of any given gauge, but depending upon the choice of pitch (.325 , 3/8th, .404), the drive links will be determined by the tip that is chosen. I got a Windsor bar from Baileys and its laser marked 3/8ths and 64 DL, but the tip is a .325 pitch tip so now it uses 72DL of .325 chain. The etching will be invisible pretty soon. I wasnt happy when i got it, but i got what will fit my saw just not happy with the nomenclature printed on bar. Make any sense? If your bars are solid nose bars then forget this post.
So permanent markings might be missing on bars made and sold without a chosen tip in mind.

Last edited:
They are both sprocket nose bars. They also have 9 mm slots on both.

I was also going to ask if you were sure they are Oregon bars. I had just sold a Sandvic bar that had a similar number like the UC numbered bar that you posted. It was a rebranded Windsor.

Odd lengths, and chain sequence!

Here is a extension of this discussion:

When you figure out what loops of chain fit a certain bar length based upon the mount ( 81/84 mentioned) then the real fun with numbers come into play!

Sequence of cutters. There can be some interesting chains based upon numbers of DL.

Full comp, if the DL divides evenly by 4, makes a even sequence.
Full skip, if the DL divides evenly by 6, again makes a even sequence.

I prefer my chains to be even, but truthfully with full comp you will never notice two left cutters in a row... Full skip, and it makes things a little more jumpy.

What would be really cool is to be able to shorten bars to a nice length that matches the saw good. I ain't tried this yet, but have considered it.

... and half skip works out well with the DL divided by 5 :D

These two bars are oregon 28" and they take 93 DL.

278081d1360357650-img_1555-jpg

View attachment 278081

I just ordered in a brand new 3/8 x .050 ga oregon power match in a 24" bar. Mounted it only measures 23" and it is stamped 81 DL right on the bar. It has the original matched up oregon tip. Were these some sort of factory defect or something? Strange you would think a 24" bar would be just that .... 24"???

Rarely do any of the bars actually measure out to what they call them.

You are correct. It was for the Echo 620 and I got the product code right from Oregon. I got it through my Stihl Dealer and he said it was odd because both Huskies and Stihl take a 84 DL on a 24. I've got skip 81 DL on this with an 8 tooth, and the measurement from the case to the tip measures 23" .... so short 1". Weird.

I just ordered in a brand new 3/8 x .050 ga oregon power match in a 24" bar. Mounted it only measures 23" and it is stamped 81 DL right on the bar. It has the original matched up oregon tip. Were these some sort of factory defect or something? Strange you would think a 24" bar would be just that .... 24"???

Couple of saws I do maintenance on have those same 81 dl Oregon bars.

You are correct. It was for the Echo 620 and I got the product code right from Oregon. I got it through my Stihl Dealer and he said it was odd because both Huskies and Stihl take a 84 DL on a 24. I've got skip 81 DL on this with an 8 tooth, and the measurement from the case to the tip measures 23" .... so short 1". Weird.

It's not weird at all. Echo has always used a 81DL chain on there 24" bars. Just like Homelite, McCulloch, Poulan and some others had. That was the standard before the european saws invaded North America.

It's not any weirder then Stihl using a 81DL .325 chain on a 20" bar while everyone else uses 78.

My Dolmar 7900 that uses a D009 Husky mount bar came with a 92DL bar on it while all the other D009 28" bars use a 93DL. Now thats not just wierd, its stupid. Dolmar want's me to go to there dealer to get my chain? Yeah right, they can bite me.

Back