Observations between 441/460 and the 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All i hear is guys saying that but you are the only one that did anything
to one. its like everybody says it but nobody has did it but you.
Thanks i would like to see how you ported it before i put the bb kit on.

All i hear is guys saying that but you are the only one that did anything
to one. its like everybody says it but nobody has did it but you.
Thanks i would like to see how you ported it before i put the bb kit on.

Everybody says that they can't be modded, don't cut fast, are too heavy, have loose a/v, etc....

It's herd mentality. Just like how the 361 is the greatest ever.:monkey:

I only know of 3 ported 441's. Casey Forest had one, Slamm has one and me.

IMO. I think the Dolmars have better porting from the factory and that contributes to the higher hp. The higher displacement doesn't hurt either. Yeah a 7900 has more hp than a 372xp, it also has 7cc's more. .... .
8.3cc more, to be exact.

The Dolmar sure wins when both are stock, but not when both are properly modded, according to the evidence I have seen.

Both Huskys and Dolmars pro saws have better porting than the Stihls, unless the Stihl happens to be a MS361 - as I understand it.

Last edited:
I've ran all of the saws listed, and I must say I like all three of them. However the best bang for the buck is definitely the 7900. It has more power, less weight, and it's a bit cheaper than the other two. I also think the 7900 is smoother than the 441. Durability doesn't seem to be an issue with any of these saws.

I'm with Andy. While I don't have a 7900 (yet), You can see that I do have several other Dolmar saws. Without doubt, all have had exceptional durability and will last as long as anything else out there. These are quality German saws and longevity is as much in the hands of the operator as it is any other pro saw. For the money, you can't beat a 7900. :cheers:

PS: As JTR stated the Solo 681 is also a top notch German saw. I think it's the other way around though with Dolmar and Solo as Solo's biggest saw is a rebadged Dolmar 9010. That said I think our poster has dealers of both Stihl and Dolmar within his striking distance.

PPS: SawTroll; I would like the weights of all , in lbs., kilo's , with-in nano grams. ;) :cheers:

Last edited:
I think you should throw the Solo 681 into the equation. I was reading on another site that a guy actually preffered the 681 over the 7900. There was something about Solo helping Dolmar with the 7900 design but didn't give credit to Solo. He has ran both saws and says the Solo is a bit stronger. By the way, I met him and don't think he would be spreading BS as he is a very respectible man. Many of you on here know him.

Dozer Dan (has his own forum and might be banned here) likes the 681 better, a large part of that is because he thinks the Walbro carbs hold up better and don't wear out the throttle shaft bores as fast as the Zama.

Dozer Dan (has his own forum and might be banned here) likes the 681 better, a large part of that is because he thinks the Walbro carbs hold up better and don't wear out the throttle shaft bores as fast as the Zama.

The carbs in the very early 7900 had a brass throttle shaft that would ware out and start to suck in air. The zama carb now has a steel shaft and it's just as good as the Walbro.

The 681 is every bit as good as a 7900 maybe a hair stronger, but dealers and parts are even harder to come by.

Owning a 460 & a 7901, I generally prefer the 460. Mostly because of the max-flow air filter. Also, Stihls just feel right to me. But, the ergos and anti-vibe of the Dolmar are a lot better. Don't get me started about the poor air filtration, though. You really will be happy with either, but when I go somewhere with only one saw, it's the 460.

Latest posts

Back