Octane Effects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i never cared for jack although the green label was OK. Jim Beam is much more to my liking and IMO much smother than jack. Makers takes the smoothnees alittle farther. I buy the stuff because my customers like it. I cant say I would buy a bottle for my self as I am a beer man, but never the less I do enjoy a good bourbon now and then.

Jack is made in Tenn., I really do not care for it. Makers is made @
30 miles from here, and I love it. Turkey is made @ 10 miles from here and I love it too. I was just instigating earlier, it is my job.

Fish, BW,

Those high octane fuels you mention imbibing have been known to cause high head temperatures and senseless emmissions. I think it effects your output. With myself, I have observed an out of balance condition but perhaps I don't have the mixture ratio right. I bow to your expertise in this arena.

Frank

Fish does not care about gasoline, but he knows the exact octane of Schlitz, Blatz, and Bud.

Use of anything below 110 octane will cause immediate seizure of any two stroke engine

Schlitz, Blatz, and Bud????!!!
What are you? Some goober from Michigan?

Guys that use words like tumblers and copious are Pussies!!
But the John Wayne avvvaaaaaataaar cancels that out.
You are groovy in my book.
I am tempted to give you the title of "Stud Muffin".
Help us out, Dennis!!

Fish, I fogot you people from Kentucka only drink out of mason jars. Maybe I will have to change my habitsd to mason jars full of old crow. BTW In your list of low quality brews you forgot old mil, hamms, grain belt, weidamans, pfeifers, schmidts, rainer and my personal favorite PBR.

I chose a physics cource once, "fluid dynamics". Had I stayed in there it, would have covered some combustion dynamics, but I found out in two days that the course was 3/4ths algebra (quantatative analysis) and I changed to an optional course, "Heat Light and Sound".

The only thing I learned from the instructor in those two days was; "These is not such thing as suction. I never want to hear that word out of any of you students".

I also digress, or is it regress?.

I don't believe you should be putting octane in chainsaws, just a medium grade of gasoline, no alcohol either. I think some of you guys think entirely too highly of alcohol. Now lets get back to pre-detonation.

Back to task. Seriously!. If you have an unmodified saw you are no where near octane imposed limits with standard pump gasoline, providing you are running a proper mixture and your saws cooling system is not hampered by dirty fins etc. If you have increased compression ratio over stock or are pushing the temperature limits by running a lean fuel to air ratio, then a higher octane fuel may let you go closer to the edge of destruction.

Increasing compression ratio to the point requiring higher octane fuel will increase mean effective pressures and yield higher output. Burning higher octane fuel will not yield higher output over low octane fuel if the compression ratio remains the same.

Frank

Another thought on octane: It is measured in different ways, if you look on a gas pump it says R+M/2 method. All gas used in automobiles is supposed to be measured this way. Aviation fuel is measured diffrently, using only one of the two measurements. You get a artifically high octane rating, something on the order of 15-20 octane points. In other words, Fishs claim of 147 octane fuel in his saw may be technically correct but somewhat misleading.

By the way, Fish, how far are you from the Labrot and Graham distillery in Versailles?

I thought dragsters used higher octane to allow higher compression ratios without spark knock,ping,predetonation (or whatever). It was explained to me at Wyoming Tech. that octane is resistance to burn, allowing more advance, higher compression and more complete combustion of A\F mixture for more power.
Also could there be hidden power in indexing plugs in saws to make a certain flamefront or burn pattern?

Just an idea in my little brain.

It is only 10 miles from here!

My thoughts on octane are such:

Octane level on a stock saw is irrelevant. Octane may be
an issue on modified saws however, I don't know. :Monkey: :Monkey: :jester: :bday:
Sarah, my little girl wanted to add the smilies.

WilliamRobert, welcome to never-never land.
Indexing of plugs has not been brought up in a while, so you
have opened up huge avenues of b.s. that our "experts"can
now expound upon.
Octane debate is a silly one, unless higher compression
ratios come into play, which may be when one is talking about
modified saws, I do not know, as well as most of the "experts"
here don't know either.

That last post was actually made by my 9 year old daughter,
so be nice!
She thinks that posting here is a big deal, so be nice, even
though I am not!

Thanks for putting up with my B.S. guys! But Sarah is my reason
for living. She still remembers Dennis sending the "funny money".

The old Lady and me stopped in at L&G distillery last year. Pretty nice place, pretty decent whiskey too.:rolleyes:

A feller could probably find a place to tree a coon around your house couldn't he?:D

Latest posts

Back