Octane question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here, no one buys the premium fuel. So it just sits in the tank. I’m a firm believer that we should use whatever fuel is fresh, with a slight emphasis on higher octane if possible. And E-free when possible
Depends on where you are for sure. Around here about all the guys will run in their boats is premium non ethanol. And, about the only place you find it are stations serving that market. Guys will drive by a dozen regular stations to buy it.

I used to use 89 octane ethanol in my my old Echo 450P chainsaw, trimmer, and hand-held blower until the local Echo dealer (same one I purchased from) said that my using the ethanol fuel is what ruined the carburetor in the hand-held blower and not covered under warranty. I was frustrated because the manuals said 89 octane and no more than 10% ethanol were fine.

Now I spend the money on 94 octane ethanol-free fuel. I go for a year at a time sometimes to go through 5 gallons. When I was helping friends clear their property of trees, I went through 5 5-gallon cans in a year. I get the VP 5-gallon cans from NAPA and/or the local Stihl dealer. NAPA sells them for cheaper.

That's what I use.

That is what I use at work. We stock the 5 gallon cans .The first thing I check on any non running issue is the fuel. Pour some or all of it in to a 55 gallon drum. Save some in a half pint jar for the owner if it's straight, or diesel one time this week, or just weird looking.
I work outside most of the time on a couple of big tables under a wide overhang, starting equipment inside just stinks and I don't care to run back and forth unless it's COLD. Keep a five gallon can with one of those squeeze pumps like you use with a kerosene heater on the table.

All this talk about the health impact of oils and fuels blah blah.. yet I bet a lot here don't think twice about consuming Canola oil now that crap is some of the most toxic poison ever approved for human consumption. I wouldn't even run the toxic crap as bar oil personally let alone eat it lol

All this talk about the health impact of oils and fuels blah blah.. yet I bet a lot here don't think twice about consuming Canola oil now that crap is some of the most toxic poison ever approved for human consumption. I wouldn't even run the toxic crap as bar oil personally let alone eat it lol
Yep. It was sent here by aliens to pollute our puritive essence and precious body fluids.

Funny I just got rid of a bunch of food in my kitchen today that had vegetable oil in it and went out and replaced the items with organic stuff with no added ingredients. Vegetable oil is nasty poison.

Funny I just got rid of a bunch of food in my kitchen today that had vegetable oil in it and went out and replaced the items with organic stuff with no added ingredients. Vegetable oil is nasty poison.
Yeah it's nasty toxic chemical ridden poison... Makes me cringe when I see people eat margarine if only they knew...

That is fine unless you drive a diesel All joking aside you can offer to give someone on the other side of the pump a gallon or so but they might look at you funny.. :) I guess you could take a second can and give it to a neighbor who uses it.
Normally I skip running the diesel when I'm going to get gas. But its mostly an over exaggerated issue. At least around here. You can't dispense anything higher then e-10 from the same hose. E-15,E-85, non-E all have separate lines.

Yup they should read up on that poison. This is interesting and a lot of people are unaware.
I actually cringed the first time I was at a family dinner with my wife. Everything cooked in a bag, or pre-made. No real butter in the house. First time she was at my folks it's like it was the first time she ate real food.

I don't know if you are trying to be witty and funny or just plain old stupid 🤔

Some time when you are bored watch a movie called Doctor Strangelove. I bet you would find it entertaining.
That is pretty much a quote.

As far as canola oil goes, you should spend more time watching moron magnetic **** on the internet.

Some time when you are bored watch a movie called Doctor Strangelove. I bet you would find it entertaining.
That is pretty much a quote.

As far as canola oil goes, you should spend more time watching moron magnetic **** on the internet.
This coming from a guy that believed the world will end if more oil than 50:1 was ever used in a chainsaw...
Don't get me wrong I'm not telling you or trying to convince you to stop eating ya precious margarine and chicken nuggets cooked in canola oil in fact I encourage you get it into ya yummy is good stuffs 😆

I think Rogue is too stupid to even recognize. How we got from octane to canola oil is some defect in his mind.

I grew up eating lard. Then sometime in the 60's we switched to Crisco in the can. Maybe in the 80's my mother started using canola oil.

She was diabetic and took insulin shots for decades. Canola oil finally killed her in 2012 when she was 94 years old. Never any vision problems, never lost a limb. Took shots three times a day seems like forever.

Anyhow, you find some website that says canola is the death of everything and I will find you one that says it is the best thing since sliced bread.

The dumber somebody is the more sure they are of what they believe. And, that is a fact.

I think Rogue is too stupid to even recognize. How we got from octane to canola oil is some defect in his mind.

I grew up eating lard. Then sometime in the 60's we switched to Crisco in the can. Maybe in the 80's my mother started using canola oil.

She was diabetic and took insulin shots for decades. Canola oil finally killed her in 2012 when she was 94 years old. Never any vision problems, never lost a limb. Took shots three times a day seems like forever.

Anyhow, you find some website that says canola is the death of everything and I will find you one that says it is the best thing since sliced bread.

The dumber somebody is the more sure they are of what they believe. And, that is a fact.
You are living proof that with age does not come wisdom... Keep on sleeping walking it's rather amusing to witness such cluelessness.

I have a degree in Biology from the University of North Carolina. Never used it. Was a manufacturers rep in the electrical industry until I retired.

The advantage to an education is that you have enough sense to know what you don't know.

Seems most people just believe ****.

That's about all it amounts to. Use high octane non-ethanol if you can get it. Use a name brand oil, preferrably synthetic since they have it now. Run 40 to 1 , sort of splits the argument. If you can't get non-ethanol keep the container sealed and don't keep it over a couple of months. If you are a home owner and aren't going to use that much buy the canned pre mix.
I don't know of any ethanol-free fuel around here. But I have stored E10 foir a year or more, using Sta-Bil, and I have had no fuel-related problems.

Latest posts

Back