Oddest encounter with a land owner ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticweld

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thought I had to share this after 36 years I figured I have seen and heard it all. I got a call the other day from a landowner with 40 acres of timber, he said it had been logged 15 years ago and he heard that I was honest guy and came highly recommend from someone I do business with. At this point it is what we all hope for. I made appointment a few days later. I showed up at his barn which he brought me into to show me the boundaries. I went over how we work, I mark the timber pay for it before any work is done, I need to be able to contact all of the adjoining landowners and make sure they are in agreement with the lines. I told him I would pull a copy of the deed and make sure there were no liens on the property. This is where he ran into a slight problem that he was sure I could work around. As we where walking the woodlot he started to tell me that as a squatter he had the right to sell the timber. He started to reach for some paper work that supposedly back up he claim. I told him that I would only do business with the guy paying the taxes on the property and seeing as it wasn't him we would not be doing business. It was by the way one of the nicest woodlots I have ever seen..

it takes all kinds don't it. you done right. closest I had was a lo telling me she owned timber lands she didn't. when I refused to cut that part, she said pay me any way. well, I didn't do neither one of those things. what I did do was find the adjoining owner and pay him for the half load we cut over before I was able to stop the guy workin for us. he was very happy I came to him and said he had trouble before from the niebor lady. I also marked his line for him. I was happy to not be in trouble and to get away from a crazy.

ain't it strange how folks seem to wanna claim things that ain't theirs........I got some one here trying to claim bits of our land ........the strange thing I can't figure is ......we owned and had title on this for nearly 150yrs they only been round for a short while namely 5yrs or so.........mind you typical city folks that come to the country ......there should be laws against that

That so true TS ......It worthwhile checking before ya cut ......saves big trouble

oh, it is a must now. owners have no idea where the boundrys are. and people not how they used to be, joe and bill were good niebors 30 years ago. now ya niebor wants an excuse to sue ya.

or worse ........the days of total trust gone now

I told him that I would only do business with the guy paying the taxes on the property and seeing as it wasn't him we would not be doing business.

Props to you. I've seen way too much theft to believe that it's all accidental, so every time I hear of somebody doing the right thing it restores a bit of my faith in humanity.

The someone trying to sell timber they don't own isn't very surprising. Heard some good stories, watched the neighbor go through it, and the family has been through it a few times too on investment properties; but how was this guy squatting on someones property and having access to the owners buildings and such? Just wondering.

Good job on due diligence part mang! :msp_thumbup:

I am not sure he profited, but he was involved, the owner is in his 90s and I believe he is just being taken advantage. In the coarse of 30 minutes he managed to contradict himself on several topics. He also did something that made me very cautious based on past experiences. I know most of the logger and timber buyers in the area, in a very short time he managed to call all most all of them with the exception of one that they were all thieves and crooks. I have found that when someone is busy telling you how he got screwed last time you can basically insert your name 6 months from now when he is telling someone else how he is the victim.

I am pretty sure he does not own any part of the building he is dwelling in or using. Not sure what the tax status is for all I know it will be all up for tax sale next year

Nailed it on the head about wait six months and see what he's saying about you. Old story with shadey landowners. The yeah the this and that guy screwed me so I did this and that to get: compensation, revenge, etc. Story is a good feeler for if you wanna work with a LO or not.

Hopefully you get some interested land owners with some legit jobs calling ya.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back