Oh No....Not another grinder thread!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyfarm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok guys i know this subject has been beat to death, and yes i know what the search button is. Anyway i've narrowed my decision down to 2. Thus making this thread somewhat different than all the ones i've read. I would like to know, if you could have one of these grinders, which one would it be?

Please note all other grinders do not pertain to this thread. I don't want to cloud my thoughts with some other option, (though they may be the better choice.) I've spent hours and hours narrowing my decision down to The Maxx or the Speed Sharp?

All input is appreciated but please keep it about one of these grinders!

Maxx
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13151&catID=9757

Speed Sharp
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=45340&catID=9761

Thanks!!

Starting fresh? MAXX. With nearly fifteen years on the Oregon 511/Speedsharp setup, I'd stick with what I know. Both are good machines that can make great chains or ##### ones, depending on the user.

Yes, I will be starting fresh! First time user and i know i will have alot to learn!
The machine will also be used non-commercially, but that doesn't mean I don't want commercial grade!

I was also unclear on which one you would choose...?

Yes, I will be starting fresh! First time user and i know i will have alot to learn!
The machine will also be used non-commercially, but that doesn't mean I don't want commercial grade!

I was also unclear on which one you would choose...?

Silvey 510 ....................................................:cheers::cheers:

Speed Sharp.

It is sold under a variety of brand names, but all come out of the same factory in Italy. That means you will be able to get support, parts, etc., down the road, and that it will keep its value should you decide to sell it.

Good, reliable, simple to set up and use (once you figure out the instructions -these are poor on most grinders!). Much better quality than the knock-off copies.

The model you are looking at has a self-centering vice and takes chains from 1/4" to 3/4" without special attachments.

A couple of posters on A.S. have been dissapointed with the MAXX grinders after using them.

( e.g. Post #17 http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1625415&highlight=MAXX#post1625415)

Philbert

Speed Sharp.

It is sold under a variety of brand names, but all come out of the same factory in Italy. That means you will be able to get support, parts, etc., down the road, and that it will keep its value should you decide to sell it.

Good, reliable, simple to set up and use (once you figure out the instructions -these are poor on most grinders!). Much better quality than the knock-off copies.

The model you are looking at has a self-centering vice and takes chains from 1/4" to 3/4" without special attachments.

A couple of posters on A.S. have been dissapointed with the MAXX grinders after using them.

( e.g. Post #17 http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1625415&highlight=MAXX#post1625415)

Philbert

thank you for your choice and yes i've read that thread too!
I have also read where people are just tickled stupid with the Maxx.

I'm hoping that by creating a thread where these are the only 2 choices, i will get a much better idea what the majority thinks is the best grinder. They are basically priced the same, so the only factors i can think of would be ease of use, quality of machine, parts availability, customer service, and ones personal preference! Somewhere farther down the list would be resale value, which i hope i'm not concerned with after making a decision!

I have been using the Tecomec (same as 511) for 20 years or so. It is the old one with reversible wheel. I bought (and quickly sold) a newer one that won't reverse and I don't like it because of unavoidable chatter when grinding the right-hand cutters. I have never used the MAXX. I assume that the chain itself is reversed when changing cutter sides, since the wheel tilts both to left and right. This feature would tilt my choice to the MAXX over a non-reversible 511. There was a thread here about modifying the 511 to add a reversing switch, which I would do before using the 511.

quiet,never a hick up,worth every penny.

I still refuse to take advice from anyone unable to read clear instructions! :cheers:

I have been using the Tecomec (same as 511) for 20 years or so. It is the old one with reversible wheel. I bought (and quickly sold) a newer one that won't reverse and I don't like it because of unavoidable chatter when grinding the right-hand cutters. I have never used the MAXX. I assume that the chain itself is reversed when changing cutter sides, since the wheel tilts both to left and right. This feature would tilt my choice to the MAXX over a non-reversible 511. There was a thread here about modifying the 511 to add a reversing switch, which I would do before using the 511.

I also assume the same about reversing the chain!

Maxx.

It's what I decided on when I went thru this and am glad I got it. Had it a year, almost. Like it a lot.

Was this your first grinder or did you have previous experience?

I don't want to cloud up your thread with a lot of talk about the Silvey grinder or how Ultra is absolutely correct when he recommended the Silvey 510 or how nice it is to have a reversible motor like on the Silvey 510, or how cool the 8" wheel on the Silvey 510 grinds. Or how fast it is with the patented pawl set-up and not having to lock the chain vise on every cutter on the SILVEY 510

Nope don't want to cloud your judgment at all with a lot of talk about a grinder thats not on your short list so I'm just gonna sit here and mind my own bidness. :popcorn:

:D

BTW if I were in your shoes I'd get the Silvey 510.
:laugh:

I don't want to cloud up your thread with a lot of talk about the Silvey grinder or how Ultra is absolutely correct when he recommended the Silvey 510 or how nice it is to have a reversible motor like on the Silvey 510, or how cool the 8" wheel on the Silvey 510 grinds. Or how fast it is with the patented pawl set-up and not having to lock the chain vise on every cutter on the SILVEY 510

Nope don't want to cloud your judgment at all with a lot of talk about a grinder thats not on your short list so I'm just gonna sit here and mind my own bidness. :popcorn:

:D

BTW if I were in your shoes I'd get the Silvey 510.
:laugh:

Atleast you play nice with others and follow directions (though pushing their limits)
:cheers:

I just ordered the speed sharp star.The reason I ordered that one was because of the self centering vise and in the vid I watched, it looked like the oregon 511ax.I don't think the SSS has the compensator for the wheel wear but I plan on getting a diamond wheel(CBN really) so wear isn't as much of a concern with me.I think like many have said that the most important thing is to take your time in setting it up and using it correctly.I'm a noob and never ground a chain in my life but I think with a good machine and a good wheel you(or I) should be able to get satisfactory results.Being able to get parts down the road was another factor in my decision,SSS, oregon and jolly star and a few others are all tecomec sp? grinders that are made in Italy so parts both new and used should be available for some time to come .

Happy hunting
DON

I just ordered the speed sharp star.The reason I ordered that one was because of the self centering vise and in the vid I watched, it looked like the oregon 511ax.I don't think the SSS has the compensator for the wheel wear but I plan on getting a diamond wheel(CBN really) so wear isn't as much of a concern with me.I think like many have said that the most important thing is to take your time in setting it up and using it correctly.I'm a noob and never ground a chain in my life but I think with a good machine and a good wheel you(or I) should be able to get satisfactory results.Being able to get parts down the road was another factor in my decision,SSS, oregon and jolly star and a few others are all tecomec sp? grinders that are made in Italy so parts both new and used should be available for some time to come .

Happy hunting
DON

All good points that i've taken into consideration! I too will more than likely shell out the $$ for a good wheel more than likely sooner than later!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back