Oh No....Not another grinder thread!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So where's a good place to pick up one of these silvey's?

Gee,

We'd like to tell you, but then we wouldn't be following directions and you would not listen to us anyway.Right?

Well?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=SC+510&catID=9760

Never used one, but probably a great grinder at twice the price. Also does not work on larger chain without an adaptor. You can't criticize anybody now, because you opened up the thread.

Reversible motor is a great idea, but raises safety issues, which is why UL listed grinders / OSHA, etc. frown on it without special guarding. You also have to consider that most grinders don't reverse, and most guys get along with chains sharpened that way, so are your needs that much different?

Philbert

Gee,

We'd like to tell you, but then we wouldn't be following directions and you would not listen to us anyway.Right?

Well?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=SC+510&catID=9760

Never used one, but probably a great grinder at twice the price. Also does not work on larger chain without an adaptor. You can't criticize anybody now, because you opened up the thread.

Reversible motor is a great idea, but raises safety issues, which is why UL listed grinders / OSHA, etc. frown on it without special guarding. You also have to consider that most grinders don't reverse, and most guys get along with chains sharpened that way, so are your needs that much different?

Philbert

Thanks for the reply, though i actually already knew where to get them!
The answer to all your questions would be no and i agree with everyone on here that it more than likely is the best grinder, unfortunately, it's not in my price range at this time!

I believe I have it narrowed down to the 2 best options in my price range $300.00-400.00! Just lookin' for as much personal input on The Maxx and the Speed Sharp as I can get, so that I can get this purchase out of the way and stop stressing over it!

I have the Speed Sharp Star. I got it from a member here who just didn't like it. I CANNOT for the life of me figure out why!!! I really enjoy this tool. I have had great success with it already. I have not used the MAXX.

Wear compensator? I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are planning on grinding 300 drive link chains. Wheel wear is just not an issue on standard length chains. The wheels that come with that grinder are fine for starters. I doubt I will be buying a CBN wheel. You will want to mark the tilt-bed on it for which direction to swing. I think it is forward for LH cutters, but I got tired of looking it up in the book, and marked it with a Sharpie. They really should stamp them with a die, but I guess I could do that also.

Plan on wasting a few chains in the learning process. Don't get discouraged, and just make friends with it. You will want to download the 511a manual, and toss the tecomec one. There is a good chain angles conversion in the back that I would keep.

Yes, I will be starting fresh! First time user and i know i will have alot to learn!
The machine will also be used non-commercially, but that doesn't mean I don't want commercial grade!

I was also unclear on which one you would choose...?

I'd get a square grinder. I reckon I can round-file the few chains that need to be round filed, and the rest could be square.

For your situation, I think the MAXX is easier to work with, with a shorter learning curve for good results.

Just got my Jolly Star (same as Speed Sharp and almost same as 511ax) tonight and assembled it.

First impressions:

-- sturdy and solid, lots of metal.

-- vise is especially solid and smooth

-- instructions are poor (I'll try downloading 511a instructions-- Update: 511a instructions are no better)

-- no obvious way to lock motor while changing wheels. I ended up holding the motor shaft with pliars while I tightened the wheel -- not cool, and not possible once the guard is installed. There oughta be a simple way to lock the motor, like the lock button on a circular saw.

-- the supplied 1/8" wheel vibrates. No side to side wobble, just not centered perfectly on the shaft. It should get better after I dress it.

I'll post more after it has sharpened a few chains.

Last edited:
thank you for your choice and yes i've read that thread too!
I have also read where people are just tickled stupid with the Maxx.

I'm hoping that by creating a thread where these are the only 2 choices, i will get a much better idea what the majority thinks is the best grinder. They are basically priced the same, so the only factors i can think of would be ease of use, quality of machine, parts availability, customer service, and ones personal preference! Somewhere farther down the list would be resale value, which i hope i'm not concerned with after making a decision!

OK. Here we go. I have chimed in on grinder threads numerous times on the MAXX vs. Speed Sharp (I've owned and used both).

I bought a MAXX for my business. For a grinder that should be symmetrical it,um, wasn't. It was the biggest piece of crap I've ever used in my life. A good design and idea let down by poor component fit. Some of the problems I observed were design problems, and not just a problem with my grinder. Every time I swapped sides every single adjustment had to be reset. The whole table moved from side to side on the chassis (poor fit). If you didn't lock it consistently in the same place it's inconsistencies were even worse.

I decided to buy a Speed Sharp Auto as a backup grinder for my business and about 3 weeks later my MAXX was on eBay and I feel sorry for the guy who paid good money for it.

The Speed Sharp is far more consistant - it will resharpen the same chains to the same point every time, unlike the MAXX.
The chain stop has far less flex than the MAXX etc etc. The whole chain vice setup (excluding the locking part) is FAR superior to the MAXX.
I believe the MAXX "looks" to be better built and the mechanical chain vice clamp is better than the hydraulic setup but thats about it, everything else is worse than the Speed Sharp.

I'm sure there are good MAXX grinders out there, I'm just not sure how many of the MAXX owners have ever run theirs head to head against another quality grinder just to see whether its really as good as they think it is.

The Grind into the cutter feature is also highly overrated. With good wheels (I use all Dinasaw ABN/CBN wheels now) no burrs occur and any that do are gone in 1/100th of a second when that chain hits wood. I have never noticed any difference in the field - burrs or no burrs.

Sorry for my rant but MAXX :censored: If I was in an area sharpening chains for more chainsaw savvy people I'm sure this grinder would have cost me business...

Matt :cheers:

Unless i get a bunch of pro Maxx responses over the weekend, i believe i will more than likely go with the majority rule! --- Speed Sharp

I just hold the wheel with one hand and turn the hex wrench with the other.

Holds good enough to tighten and release.

Philbert

Philbert is that an SAE "hand" or a "metric" hand....holy jeepers what kind of tooling do you need to hold the wheel with your hand and tighten it. How about an impact wrench too ? :lifter:

I just hold the wheel with one hand and turn the hex wrench with the other.

Holds good enough to tighten and release.

Philbert
That would probably work if the screw threaded in easily, but it doesn't. The screw fit in the shaft threads is quite stiff and turning the screw will spin the shaft unless the shaft is held securely.

If I have the right tap laying around, I'll chase the threads and see if that helps.

Off to the shop later this evening to give the Jolly Star it's first real test.:chainsaw:

That would probably work if the screw threaded in easily, but it doesn't. The screw fit in the shaft threads is quite stiff and turning the screw will spin the shaft unless the shaft is held securely. If I have the right tap laying around, I'll chase the threads and see if that helps.

Good point - never been a problem. Screw threads in smoothly and I just snug it lightly.

Probably a metric thread (looks like a 6 mm x 1 x 25mm socket head screw on mine - Oregon 511A).

Philbert

Silvey 510

I followed up on this with Silvey, with respect to the reversing motor, and the 'built in' 10 degree angle (usually only recommended for full chisel chain). This is their reply:

The grinders are not ul approved, 20 years ago it cost 1 million per grinder or jack to have them go through the process.

The 510 cannot grind a chain at 0 degrees, the tech I checked with said that a 10 degree angle is beneficial for all chain.

So it still may be a great grinder, depending upon what chain you use. But the reversing wheel is still considered a hazard by some, and having a non-UL listed electrical device could cause you problems with OSHA and insurance folks (if your work is covered by OSHA or if you carry insurance).

Philbert

I followed up on this with Silvey, with respect to the reversing motor, and the 'built in' 10 degree angle (usually only recommended for full chisel chain). This is their reply:

So it still may be a great grinder, depending upon what chain you use. But the reversing wheel is still considered a hazard by some, and having a non-UL listed electrical device could cause you problems with OSHA and insurance folks (if your work is covered by OSHA or if you carry insurance).

Philbert

Not OSHA approved?!!!! I am sold. All OSHA is good for is making perfectly good tools and redesigning them to be junk, or I mean "safe"

Back