Oil mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
G'day.

My inquisitive nature compels me to inquire within your seemingly well-versed and knowledgeable community regarding the superior ratio of lubrication to use in my recently-acquired Stihl chainsaw. Please refrain from directing me to the search function, as I have already perused the entire site and have yet to find a definitive answer to my inquiry, and I hope to at least glean some clarifying information regardless of any vexation which may surface. While I like to remain as nearly autonomous as possible, perhaps you fine gents can bestow upon a mere layman such as myself some of your superior wisdom regarding the more subtle points of lubrication engineering without violating my sense of independence.

The owner’s manual that Stihl so thoughtfully encompassed with their basic saw package recommends a ratio of 50 parts premium grade petrol to 1 part proprietary OEM oil, synthetic substitutions notwithstanding. Is this the superior fuel? Through my inherently-neophyte calculations, I determined that 100 parts gasoline to 2 parts OEM oil would yield a more effective medium for power production.

Additionally, I’ve also been informed by a gent from the local pub that I can give the saw increased performance and life by not using any oil, but rather using a scientifically-treated form of gopher urine that is to become the new wave of lubrication technology. How does this thought strike your fancy? The fellow seemed quite logical and cogent; however I began to question his methods when he recommended praying to the slinky milling machine gods before mixing the fuel. Thanks in advance.

Nah, I think you should mix it 50 ppm to 1.6 ppb...but whale sperm is said to be a superior lubricant...

rbtree said:
Nah, I think you should mix it 50 ppm to 1.6 ppb...but whale sperm is said to be a superior lubricant...

My good man, that sounds right interesting. But how, pray tell, does one go about collecting it? The last whale suit I put on didn't tickle my fancy for fit, if you know what I mean.

spacemule said:
G'day.

My inquisitive nature compels me to inquire within your seemingly well-versed and knowledgeable community regarding the superior ratio of lubrication to use in my recently-acquired Stihl chainsaw. Please refrain from directing me to the search function, as I have already perused the entire site and have yet to find a definitive answer to my inquiry, and I hope to at least glean some clarifying information regardless of any vexation which may surface. While I like to remain as nearly autonomous as possible, perhaps you fine gents can bestow upon a mere layman such as myself some of your superior wisdom regarding the more subtle points of lubrication engineering without violating my sense of independence.

The owner’s manual that Stihl so thoughtfully encompassed with their basic saw package recommends a ratio of 50 parts premium grade petrol to 1 part proprietary OEM oil, synthetic substitutions notwithstanding. Is this the superior fuel? Through my inherently-neophyte calculations, I determined that 100 parts gasoline to 2 parts OEM oil would yield a more effective medium for power production.

Additionally, I’ve also been informed by a gent from the local pub that I can give the saw increased performance and life by not using any oil, but rather using a scientifically-treated form of gopher urine that is to become the new wave of lubrication technology. How does this thought strike your fancy? The fellow seemed quite logical and cogent; however I began to question his methods when he recommended praying to the slinky milling machine gods before mixing the fuel. Thanks in advance.

Spacemule,

Please allow me to entertain the crux of you inquiry by adding this minor addendum: I LOVE THE WAY YOU WRITE! :laugh:

Space...the last frontier

...mule, Just keep the sperm oil in the house. I've heard it is pretty good bar oil but I just don't swallow that idea. Just for fun try mixing some low ash 2-cycle saw oil with hi-octane gas and report back. The ratio should be 3 ounces per gallon of 90 to 93 (non alcoholic) strength petrol. Once this is done you should wash hands before washing and oiling your bar.

This is just what I have heard from the professionals.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

spacemule said:
My good man, that sounds right interesting. But how, pray tell, does one go about collecting it? The last whale suit I put on didn't tickle my fancy for fit, if you know what I mean.

Gracious me, you must have been sleeping in Biology. If you had kept one eye on the ball, you'd know that ALL whales have a "BLOW hole".

You mean you're supposed to mix that "2 cycle engine oil" with gas??? :confused: Wow! No Wonder my saw was smoking like a pile of burning leaves. It seemed to be costly to run it too (1 pint oil for $1.69). I think I'll do much better now. Thanks for the tip. :stupid:

Being the thrifty type that I am, I seldom ever mix more than a 1/2 gallon at a time but like the great deal I get from buying my oil mix by the barrel. that being said I believe the way to go is use .0002381 barrels of oil to each 1/2 gallon of gas and in doing so you should only need to buy 1 barrel of oil in a lifetime. Just some more wisdom for you.

Rotax Robert

SpaceMule, Your quandary has me somewhat perplexed. With your gracious vocabulary skills why are you not correcting papers in collage? Better yet,how about enlisting in the Military? The Marines are always looking for a few Good men? And yes I did spend 12 years in the USAF. Just kidding Rex, but your writing skills far exceed my expectations.If you care to expand your horizons in the vocabulary field, I suggest that you pick up a copy of one of Pat McMannus well written literature.He is a outdoor enthusisast and a professor in Washington state Univisitary. You should excell high in school! A rare comity in todays format of behavior.Keep up the good work Rex,and keep a vigilant watch out for the collage girls! Ken

McMannus...is this the guy that wrote such books as, "Never sniff a gift fish" and "They shoot canoes, don't they?"?

I thought the little bottles were pre-mixed. So now I have 20 dollars of this crap I'm transferring from saw to saw and aint none of them going to run like that?

You got something against periods? Great sentences, but I need to breath more often. That's all I got to say. :laugh: :dizzy: ;)

Fred

I don't think the petro is what it is supposed to be and I think we are buying 10% ethonal whether we like it or not. I don't like the idea of using nothing but unleaded in my saws even though they say any fuel will work. I had an uncle that was a feller in the big timber and he always ran his saws a little rich on the mixture. The manufactors don't like to honor warrantys, so while the saw is under warranty I would stay with the name brand oil mixture, not to say that there isn't a better oil, but it gives the warrantys less of an excuse. I run the oil that says to put one bottle in 2.5 gallon, but I put one bottle of oil mix in 2 gallon. I like a little smoke, especially a new saw and no I haven't fouled plugs yet, but I've bought some plugs that wouldn't fire brand new.

a "rich" mixture is less oil/more gas.

a "lean" mixture is more oil/less gas.

unless of course you fellows have adapted your own vernacular to the process of two different fluids passing though the same orfice...........

just sayin'................

dingo said:
I don't think the petro is what it is supposed to be and I think we are buying 10% ethonal whether we like it or not. I don't like the idea of using nothing but unleaded in my saws even though they say any fuel will work. I had an uncle that was a feller in the big timber and he always ran his saws a little rich on the mixture. The manufactors don't like to honor warrantys, so while the saw is under warranty I would stay with the name brand oil mixture, not to say that there isn't a better oil, but it gives the warrantys less of an excuse. I run the oil that says to put one bottle in 2.5 gallon, but I put one bottle of oil mix in 2 gallon. I like a little smoke, especially a new saw and no I haven't fouled plugs yet, but I've bought some plugs that wouldn't fire brand new.
spacemule...ya got one.:laugh:

Patrick F. Macmanus. Comedic genius. I love the man, he used to do the field and stream column exit laughing, and the books mentioned above.

Back