Oil mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cord arrow said:
a "rich" mixture is less oil/more gas.

a "lean" mixture is more oil/less gas.

unless of course you fellows have adapted your own vernacular to the process of two different fluids passing though the same orfice...........

just sayin'................
I keep hearing this from the self-proclaimed 'experts', but IMO the difference in viscosity between 40-1 fuel and 50-1 fuel going through a carb would be negligable.

Is sweet tea a different viscosity than unsweetened tea? Would one flow faster or slower than the other?

Mix oil is a liquid, just slightly thicker than gas. Would an extra half ounce of oil per gallon of gas affect the viscosity enough to warrant a carb adjustment? In most cases I think not (speaking normal use here, not racing).

Cord Arrow, in the highest technical sense you may be correct, but that does not make you 'right'. The only thing you have accomplished is to spread confusion. Everyone else knows exactly what he meant by a 'richer' mix ratio.

i know a fellow that has fried more quality chain saws than all of us combined.

old guy. know it all. pours the oil to her " 'till she smokes like holy h*ll. i run 'em rich as can be."

i reckon pistons ain't what they used to be, all his have holes in the top.

Cord Arrow,
A richer gas/oil mix (like Dingo was discussing) is a different subject than the fuel/air mix which you are discussing. Your interchanging of the two distinct uses of the term is only designed to confuse, not help.

And yes, a richer gas/oil mix will slightly increase viscosity. So a richer gas/oil ratio will result in a leaner fuel/air ratio.

dammit, you baited me into posting in another oil mix thread!!! :blob2:

how is that? based on the assumption that the gas and oil is atomized in proportion equal to thier proportion in the mix ratio, a change on the liquid fuel mix ratio should have the same effect on the atomized ratio of mix entering the engine, imo..

Because your also changing the tuning parameters of the carb when you change your mix ratio. Want to run at 32:1? Richen you screws slightly.Viola same air to fuel ratio as it was before the change.
Something else to consider as far as carb tuning goes,. A 15 degree swing in temp will have more effect on the motor than going from a 50:1 ratio to a 20:1 ratio.
How many of you guys are checking your carb tuning on a frequent basis?

Rich versus Lean

I don't understand all this controversy over "rich vs. lean". I've seen some pretty lean times...it'd be nice to try rich just once:D :D

Oil's well that ends well...:dizzy:

The oily bird catches the worm:confused:

Oily to bed, and oily to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise...;)

This is too crude for me! :bang:

Latest posts

Back