oil ratio, short answer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetrolHead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
G'day
Don't need to ask about oil's or oil ratio's as there's enough info on this site to start a bible sized book. Would simply like to ask if anyone runs 40:1 or less (less oil) in Husky saws over 80cc. I know the manuals now state 33:1 for these saws but I'm interested how 40:1 works with a good oil? Really curious about big saws such as 3120 etc.
Thanks!

oil

I run about 40:1 in most of my saws and havent had to many seize up (from lack of oil). I also question this for the real large and older saws of what to do, as there is a lot of metal there to lube. yes the new oil is better than that of the 1950's guess all you can do is expermint with your saw if it is carboning up, fouling the plug or smoking like a chimney thin it out a little. hope this helps:deadhorse: :biggrinbounce2:

Good question.....I try to run 32:1 in everything i have....some people say its a good idea..and some say its a waste...I think its a darn good idea

I saw an article on one of the chainsaw-powered mill sites (I don't remember which one at the moment) that talked about what saws to use as a powerhead on their mills, and one of the anecdotes was about a guy who bought a brand new Husky 3120 and blew the piston milling at the recommended oil ratio. He had the piston replaced and it blew again. At that point Husky told him to start using a 16:1 oil mix in his 3120 under tough cutting conditions, such as milling.

Is that what you're looking for?

Thanks matey. Really just wanted to know if anyone here runs 40:1 or leaner in their big huskies. I'm just curious why they changed their recommendation regarding the ratio's over 80cc. Milling is another story from what I've read here, needing a re-think on oil ratio's. I have no probs running what I run, but thats for another thread sometime.

Petrol,

I run a 50:1 ratio using racing synthetic in my 95cc (& 50 cc) saw with no problems to date.

Latest posts

Back