Oil VS Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We get too caught up in searching for that holy grail oil, that removes all carbon and keeps pistons shiny. When we overlook the issue, it’s not the oil, it’s the fuel that causes carbon.

This is stihl ultra (a notoriously “dirty” oil) in their motomix at 32:1 after about an hour and a half run time varying rpm’s. This is in an rc engine, but the point is the same, carbon is from the fuel, not the oil. If the gasoline sucks, you’re going to get more carbon..

IMG_0349.png

IMG_0350.png

We get too caught up in searching for that holy grail oil, that removes all carbon and keeps pistons shiny. When we overlook the issue, it’s not the oil, it’s the fuel that causes carbon.

This is stihl ultra (a notoriously “dirty” oil) in their motomix at 32:1 after about an hour and a half run time varying rpm’s. This is in an rc engine, but the point is the same, carbon is from the fuel, not the oil. If the gasoline sucks, you’re going to get more carbon..

View attachment 1111635

View attachment 1111636
RC engines run very rich air to fuel ratios in many cases. This will wash the piston clean.
If your pistons are bare metal you are not tuned even close to correctly. I've never seen a two cycle oil that was carbon free and I've tried many. The key is where the carbon is located. You don't want carbon in the ring belt and groove area at all and you don't want carbon on the skirt. You also don't want carbon buildup in the exhaust port.
Sulfates ash buildup on the crown and head is likewise undesirable.
And yes poor quality gasoline will lead to more buildup, but carbon on the piston is completely normal. It's also a good, albeit coarse tool to determine tune.

RC engines run very rich air to fuel ratios in many cases. This will wash the piston clean.
If your pistons are bare metal you are not tuned even close to correctly. I've never seen a two cycle oil that was carbon free and I've tried many. The key is where the carbon is located. You don't want carbon in the ring belt and groove area at all and you don't want carbon on the skirt. You also don't want carbon buildup in the exhaust port.
Sulfates ash buildup on the crown and head is likewise undesirable.
And yes poor quality gasoline will lead to more buildup, but carbon on the piston is completely normal. It's also a good, albeit coarse tool to determine tune.
That’s not actually true - quite the opposite, especially water cooled like in rc boats, they can be run much leaner than air cooled OP3. Same for the buggies and other 1/5 scale, they run on the ragged edge, much more so than OP3. In my case - the tune was spot on. This engine is no different from a saw. Runs loaded at 10k rpm, ignition is set at 28 degrees btdc, idles a bit lower as it’s got a prop. Tune was spot on - not 4 stroking under load, good acceleration, not loading up at idle, returns nicely, settles down to idle well. Motomix and other alkylate fuels are just cleaner burning.

Isn’t ultra different outside of the United States? In the states it’s made by Omni Specialties but elsewhere it’s made by someone else and likely a completely different product.
Yeah, it's pink.
:D

It's probably slightly different outside the US but mainly the same. Like any top saw manufacturer they want to have the best performing products that fall within government regulations, changing to something vastly different like carnuba wax isn't going to make the saw run better, so they probably take availability/regs in their main markets into consideration before spec.ing oils and fuel, then design saws around that.

That’s not actually true - quite the opposite, especially water cooled like in rc boats, they can be run much leaner than air cooled OP3. Same for the buggies and other 1/5 scale, they run on the ragged edge, much more so than OP3. In my case - the tune was spot on. This engine is no different from a saw. Runs loaded at 10k rpm, ignition is set at 28 degrees btdc, idles a bit lower as it’s got a prop. Tune was spot on - not 4 stroking under load, good acceleration, not loading up at idle, returns nicely, settles down to idle well. Motomix and other alkylate fuels are just cleaner burning.

I don't know anything about rc boats, but rc plains is what I based my comment on.
However, if your piston is bare metal you are rich, period.

That's funny, I've been running alkylate in my 400C for going on 2 years and in two redmax trimmers with Red Armor oil. They all show proper piston wash.
All gasoline burning engines should have carbon on their pistons..
Not sure, myself and the 2 others here have clean internals. I have 2 saws, an rc airplane engine and a model hit and miss. All alkylate and all spotless. I’m very comfortable with engine tuning, none are rich. A rich engine will cause excessive carbon, no doubt the issue is with how you are using your equipment. To get a fully washed piston, the engine will literally have to be hardly able to run at all. Spluttering beyond imagine and run for very short periods without any heat. That’s an incredibly rare condition.

Not sure, myself and the 2 others here have clean internals. I have 2 saws, an rc airplane engine and a model hit and miss. All alkylate and all spotless. I’m very comfortable with engine tuning, none are rich. A rich engine will cause excessive carbon, no doubt the issue is with how you are using your equipment. To get a fully washed piston, the engine will literally have to be hardly able to run at all. Spluttering beyond imagine and run for very short periods without any heat. That’s an incredibly rare condition.
Again. If the piston is washed completely clean you are rich...

Back