Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local mill owners bought that Woodland Pro stuff by the case, as it was cheap. They run it 50:1. I recently tore down there 385 husky, and have never seen so much carbon in my life. Not sure it the oil is what did it, but have my suspicions. The saw was tuned correctly, I might add.

Up until now, I have been running Mobil 1-2T, but am on my last quart. :cry:

I am fixing to try some Motul 800, and some Castor 927, as it was gave to me. After that ????

I use Mobil 1 Racing 2T at 40:1 we can still get it in Australia :):)

Can you get the Mobile 2T at a Mobile station, or do you have to go to a Repco or bike shop?

I'm going to run 4 gallons mixed with motul 2t through my saws in the next week or so. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Letter from Royal Purple

Good morning Mr. Wright

You are correct. Royal Purple 2 Cycle TCW III is recommended for two cycle engine like in your chainsaw. Please see this link to our website page.
http://www.royalpurple.com/2-cycle-oil.html

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day.
Best Regards
Steve Mathews
Technical Services
Royal Purple Inc.
281-577-5041

Bob after looking at the MSDS for the oil you have listed It does seem to meet the temperature requirements for air cooled engines. With that said I'm a bit confused what this oil was really made for. They say it's OK to use in oil injection, but looking at the MSDS the oil is too viscous for oil injection. On top of that it's listed as a TCW3 oil, but it burns at too high of a temperature for use in water cooled outboard engines.:dizzy:

This oil may be perfectly fine to use in chainsaws, but I'd personally stay away from this unknown concoction, I've never seen this much contradicting information from a oil manufacture before.

Last edited:
Klotz Original Techniplate 32:1
Klotz R50 when below 30 degrees.....
Klotz Original Techniplate 40:1
Stihl Ultra 50:1
All with VP SEF 94

Been using Spectro SX at 40:1. (Work at a bike shop that has sold/raced with Spectro for 25+ years)
Front of the bottle says 32:1, the rep said it's formulated to run at that ratio. But you turn it 'round and on the back it says to mix it with 4-6 gallons (12 oz container) I always used the Golden Spectro at 42:1, and it was overkill, 40:1 with the SX looks good so far at teardown, but I'm not logging, just firewood, and pulling 'em down for tweeking.
Anyone got any info on the Spectro products?
As a dealer you would think that I'd have info, but talking to the rep (20+ years in the biz) he's vague and not getting much out of him. Maybe not asking the right questions...Seems that's the way that it is, the other (Bulk, 10W40) oil rep wouldn't give any info on what's in the drums he's bringing. I want to know what I'm putting in customers' bikes at first service, etc. Told the owner to get drums from Suzuki, I don't care who's old refinery that stuff comes out of, he can stop bringing it! Additive packages must be correct for the application.

With that said I'm a bit confused what this oil was really made for.

I will agree there. I read page after page about oils the last few days and some of what makes a good oil is the top ring temp. And i think this oil said 300* but my chainsaws aren't as high performance of say a new model so it may be ok for the older ones but the new ones with higher compression prob run hotter but nothing is said along that lines either. Oh well back to reading...Bob

Don't know much or hear much about Spectro oil, but what I do hear is good. I know Golden Spectro came out a long time ago and was the standard at the time. However today modern synthetic oils are better and burn much cleaner. A modern synthetic oil should run clean 32:1. Many of the older race oils like golden spectro and Bel-Ray MC-1 were real viscous and would not burn clean at 32:1, except under the most extreme conditions.

Last edited:
I will agree there. I read page after page about oils the last few days and some of what makes a good oil is the top ring temp. And i think this oil said 300* but my chainsaws aren't as high performance of say a new model so it may be ok for the older ones but the new ones with higher compression prob run hotter but nothing is said along that lines either. Oh well back to reading...Bob

I assume you're referring to the flash point? Flash point is only one thing to consider, the ad packs, ZDDP, base stocks and polymers mean more than the just flash point. Some oils have excellent film strength, and protection despite having a somewhat lower flash point, Maxima K2 and Mobil-1 2T are good examples of this.

Bob I've done more reading about oil than I care to remember. If you want I could send you an Email of a great Q&A article with a chemical engineer from Silkolene.

Andy, thanks for your input on this thread. As has been stated, the top ring temperature is the probably the most important consideration for your choice of oils.

I learned a long time ago to look for brown or blue spots on the top ring to see if the oil film was holding up. If you find such spots, it means the oil film is breaking down and the ring is making metal to metal contact with the cylinder.

Nice to find out that Mobile 2T is still available in Oz, I just didn't know where to find it. It seems some marketing whiz decided to take it out of the Mobile stations and sell it through specialty shops - what a dumb decision that was!

2-Cycle TCW III is a high performance engine oil that improves performance and dramatically reduces wear in two-cycle gasoline engines. It’s recommended for use in both pre-mixed and oil injected gasoline two-cycle engines in outboard motors, motorcycles, jet skis, chain saws, etc.

I haven't seen any water cooled chainsaws yet but i am sure they are coming LOL...Bob
http://www.royalpurple.com/2-cycle-oil.html

TCWIII is a rating, can an oil meet that outboard rating and still meet Jaso & work in aircooled power equipment?

I now run Stihl Ultra syn or Maxima K2 at 40:1. But in all honesty, years of running power equipment for a landscaping side business with my brother, we had no oil related failures running Valvoline TCW/universal oil at the machine's
recommended rate. We had a bunch of college kids abusing equipment every summer.

I think oil and spark plugs may be two things that should not keep us up at night. We are serious about maintenance, and that may be more important.:dunno:

Latest posts

Back