OK, finally bought a semi-NEW MS 460.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I really have doubts about the 460 having more power, as the M-Tronic is a strong runner too right outta' the box. I know the advertized HP is different, but my hands have doubts.

I have not run or have seen one run "in person". That may very well be true. Hope to have the opportunity to verify that one for myself one day.

I have to laugh everytime I here the vibration issue come up. I ran a Homelite Super XL when I had my firewood business back in the early 80's. It vibrated....that's for sure, but not enough to complain about it like a little girl. If you think today's saws vibrate too much..... you must squat to pee.

Tony

Last edited:
Geez what a lot of #### slingin :jester:. I like both, but it's a well known fact that the rubber mounted Stihls vibrate more than the spring mounted Huskys. Some don't care, some do care. Buy what ya like, simple as that :). The Stihls bother me myself, and no I don't squat to piss.:msp_wink:

..if you can stand the violent vibes! :msp_sad:

Do you ever compliment anyone on a saw purchase other than a 346,550,562, good Lord, people are proud of their new saw purchase.
Hell, I can run one three months after thriple bypass,bladder and prostrate surgery and rolling a ztr mower over on me two weeks ago.
Why don't you send that junk 361 over to me so you have a clean stable. I'll guarantee it get used more in three weeks than it has in it's entire life. Lighten up on new saw buyers, hell they are proud to just own a pro saw in many cases. I don't know how still has sold hundreds of thousands of 046/460's if they viberate so bad, would I be correct in saying they have sold more than the 372 in the market place and had a longer production run. I've never had a problem with vibration, you ought to try a Harley Davidson out some time.

Amen brother,not to rag on anyone but that gets kind of old after a while.You know it's coming you don't even have to wait too long to get it. Scott

Like I just posted in another ST bash thread, I happy for the guy who saved up enough to buy a 199.00 Poulan to go cut wood himseld to keep his family warm, very few of us on here started out with a top of the line pro saw, I 've been running them right at 35 years a 460 vibrate, it's nothing compared to a old XL 925 Homie, we should be congratulating people in saw purchases not tearing them down, the humbleness of a child will get you a lot closer to heaven than vanity.

Like I just posted in another ST bash thread, I happy for the guy who saved up enough to buy a 199.00 Poulan to go cut wood himseld to keep his family warm, very few of us on here started out with a top of the line pro saw, I 've been running them right at 35 years a 460 vibrate, it's nothing compared to a old XL 925 Homie, we should be congratulating people in saw purchases not tearing them down, the humbleness of a child will get you a lot closer to heaven than vanity.

I always appreciate ST insights into saw specs and such but I have to say it is sure nice to have a old school fire wood cutter like yourself back to AS. I missed your posts while you were recovering. Welcome back.

Thanks, I'm just a firewood hack, prolly won't cut a 1/3 of what I normally do, but do try to be objective and respect of others purchases irregardless of brand, it's ok to disagree if done with some tact. I'll likely run a 50cc saw more than anything else or a splitter valve handle. Once I get a handle on medical bills I think Mastermind will be seeing the newest 261.

Yea I agree with that. Mine also feels as strong as a 460. Maybe stronger. I think they may have just detuned it on the spec sheet.

Well, as ST can surely attest, both the "H" brand and the "S" brand have been guilty of "marketing think" creeping into their spec sheets. :msp_sneaky:

Do you ever compliment anyone on a saw purchase other than a 346,550,562, good Lord, people are proud of their new saw purchase. ......

There is a very thin line between complimenting the purchace of many models, and to mislead (other) people by holding back info on known issues. Doing the first, often means doing the other as well....;)

There is a very thin line between complimenting the purchace of many models, and to mislead (other) people by holding back info on known issues. Doing the first, often means doing the other as well....;)

You mean like all the problems with many of the Auto-Tune saws, including the beloved 562? :msp_sneaky:

I feel that in your *OPINION* there is not much at all that you like about Stihl. Regardless of complimenting or not, you always seem to point out anything YOU think is negative. I feel I made a good purchase based on the local dealer who is honest, and has yet to fail me, and the experience I have had with Sthil. I also made my decision on all the information I was to read up on this saw. I was going to wait on the 461, which I guess you also hate, that has the spring type av but, even though this is a more fuel efficient saw with less vibes. I feel you will point *SOMETHING* else out about this saw being junk. If all you can point out to me about my 460 being a VIOLENT vibe monster, than I think I made a good purchase.
Sthil has been around a long time, also I think that being able to rely on walk-in business rather than having to rely on the internet for some income to stay afloat, says something else about a company....integrity!

I think you mentioned 3 new SQUARE ground skip chains? Unless you're familiar w/square ground chains you might have a bit of a learning curve. Or replace them as you go maybe. Either way I'm sure you're going to love the new saw....enjoy

Hello WV Wood Chopper,

I run all types of saws but mostly Stihl now because of dealer support. My 460 is bone stock and there are two things I don't like about it.

1. The flippy caps, they don't always go back on right and you waste time fooling around with them. I hate em, one of the worst things Stihl ever done.

2. The oiler is very weak, on my 361 and 460 both. I put the high output oiler parts in the 361 last year and it works real good now, in fact I have to turn it down some. The parts for the 460 oiler are back ordered but it will get the high out put parts very soon I hope.

I run a 20 inch bar on both these saws. Put it in some hardwood and you will see what I'm talking about.

I'm happy with everything else on the saws so far. I'm in Tyler county and your welcome to stop by if you like.

v/r

Mike

I think the oiler is weak on all new Stihls, at least compared to older saws. They do go through about 3/4 tank of oil to 1 tank gas, which tells you the saws are oiling about as expected. But I don't think it's enough.

Back