OK, Laugh. My New Saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
Reaction score
First off, my health is nowhere near as good as it was, even a year ago. Bad lungs, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and fatigue that rarely goes away. I'm a southpaw, and my left hand hurts often from pulling on chainsaws. I went to visit a friend's Stihl dealership today, and got to see his latest addition, which is Oregon Battery-powered chainsaws. I bought one! Brought it home and cut one full charge with it, which equates to about 30-40 minutes of actual cutting time. What's good about this is that when the saw's battery starts to "fade", my battery is also fading, so I guess we're fairly well matched. I was impressed with the power of this saw, and it shouldn't affect my already severe hearing loss. It does whine, so I'm still wearing earplugs. I guess I like it!

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 103
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 97
I was recovering from a heart attack, and bought a lightweight Stihl MS 211. I'd last about that long too. View attachment 644272
That's a nice saw! I'm still keeping a few "real" chainsaws. Probably will be using my Husky 340 along with the battery saw a little more nowdays.

That's a nice saw! I'm still keeping a few "real" chainsaws. Probably will be using my Husky 340 along with the battery saw a little more nowdays.
Looks like your battery saw gets along with you just fine for the time being. It took me a few years to recover. Wouldn't take much to get me exhausted,and I'd have to lay down.

Looks like your battery saw gets along with you just fine for the time being. It took me a few years to recover. Wouldn't take much to get me exhausted,and I'd have to lay down.
Glad you're doing ok now. That's the main thing. My situation is a continuous decline health-wise, but it's good to be able to get outdoors and enjoy doing stuff.

After doing some reading about my new toy, it says that I'm supposed to get 210 minutes of cutting time with the battery that I got with it. I don't see that happening, but it may be a good thing. I don't know if I have 210 minutes of continuous cutting time behind the saw...:dizzy:

I'd like to have one of those for trimming up the property. The gas ones wear me out just listening to the racket, even with hearing protection.
I've been noticing something going on to that respect, but now that you mentioned it, I'm sure nuff aware that it's the noise from my saws, weedwhackers, leafblower, and lawnmower . I've got a couple pair of shooting earmuffs somewhere, I'm gonna dig them up, and start wearing them.
After doing some reading about my new toy, it says that I'm supposed to get 210 minutes of cutting time with the battery that I got with it. I don't see that happening, but it may be a good thing. I don't know if I have 210 minutes of continuous cutting time behind the saw...:dizzy:
LoL ! Big Red:laughing:; 210 minutes does seem to be a bit much for that saw. That's about 4 hours, which is about 2 hours more than I'm good for in a days work.

Thanks for the replies! I finished cutting up a big Hickory today, and had to bring out the 562 when I got closer to the trunk. The 562 made me appreciate what a fast saw it was, but I did enjoy using the battery saw for the limbs.

I definitely won't be making fun of you, i think its neat. can you post a video?
I don't have the "stuff" to make a video of it, but I did watch a video at the saw shop. That helped sell me on it. There are quite a few things available for the battery pack, such as a polesaw, trimmer, blower, etc. They are not all that expensive, either. I'm sure that you can access videos online.

Latest posts

Back