Ok so I've finally done it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi cutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It all started so innocently, so long ago. It was so subtle I didn't see it was happening until.. the reality hit me. I LOVE cutting wood!
I only wanted to keep my family warm through winter, and lets face it the only way to go is wood. And then, to make it as economical as possible, you look at cutting your own wood.
So a chainsaw is required and then you fell your first tree, limb it and ring it and then it hits you and it's too late! It crept up on you.. you suddenly realize you LOVE cutting wood and you LOVE using a chainsaw and before too long you just LOVE chainsaws.
So you look for a place that can answer all your questions and you log on to a site with the seemingly innocent name of 'Arboristsite'.
Firstly you spend months just dayly checking the latest posts and reading the ones of interst. You don't want to get too involved, better to remain anonymous.
Then you start reading the post history to find answers to all the questions you have.
Then you realize once again - Oh no, I'm in too deep, I want to know more, I have so many questions to ask, I'll have to sign up.
So I have. I've finally done it. Hello to you all from Kiwicutter.

It all started with an old McCulloch Wildcat that was given to me after not going for some years and a few peoples attempts and then after I got it going and used it for a while I came across some big logs of gum. All these logs were between 30-50 inches in diameter. So a 3120xp with a 42in bar was aquired as the tool of destruction. I LOVED it! It screamed and it mowed through the logs. Then it needed a new c.d.i., which I got. Suddenly it was not the dream saw anymore. It bogs down and stops in the middle of the log - it doesn't howl anymore. They went and put a rev limiter in the c.d.i.
Which brings me finally to the reason for me joining and therefore this "brief" hello which has turned into a complete novel.
Does anyone have any specific mods I can do to my 3120 to get it's old self back.
Thankyou very much!

I agree dreaded using a saw always scared of them but had to buy for making fence post.Now I am looking at a second saw.For what? But i think cutting wood is fun but needs to respected.

The addiction starts out with a need to cut logs, then that need becomes something where one saw just wont do it anymore, at which point you determine you need more saws, for reasons unknown to you.

Welcome, Kiwi cutter.

I don't have the experience to answer your question re the rev limter, but you'll probably get some good info doing a search on rev limiter. Maybe not for your specific saw, but some good info none the less. I'm sure that some AS members with RL experience will offer their input.

I seem to recall a post that if you got the c.d.i from a 395 and put it on the 3120, you will restore the high revs. If your saw is bogging down in the middle of the cut, I would suspect carburetor/fuel delivery, not the ignition, but it's hard to troubleshoot without seeing the saw run.

oldsaw-addict said:
The addiction starts out with a need to cut logs, then that need becomes something where one saw just wont do it anymore, at which point you determine you need more saws, for reasons unknown to you.

The final stages of the addiction is when you realize that 'having' another saw is all the reason you need. At that stage you have reached the ultimate plateau.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
The final stages of the addiction is when you realize that 'having' another saw is all the reason you need. At that stage you have reached the ultimate plateau.

Harry K

No, that's when you start going to a 12 Step Program for dysfunctional chainsaw owners like the rest of us :)

Actually, the last step, is where you come home one night, and your wife is standing on the front porch, with a thousand saws, and she wants to know where the he!! they all came from, then she crucifies you.

KIWI, The first thing that I would do is put in a new gas filter.The seckond thing is to hide the phone book.My wife called a shrink to set up an appointment for me due to this unusual behavior dealing with Chainsaws.Their is no known antidote for this unusual behavior! Welcome to the forum, Ken

Ha ha another one bitten by the saw bug .It starts small,then the need to see more saws on the shelf grows.The more you see, the more you want,then you think you want more bars,chains ..........

With it bogging down in the cut it is probably in the fuel system.Like stated earlier change fuel filter and check the little screen filter in the carb.Shouldn't have to rebuild the carb if it's fairly new,but might have to clean it out if it has sat for a few months and start gumming things up.

oldsaw-addict said:
Actually, the last step, is where you come home one night, and your wife is standing on the front porch, with a thousand saws, and she wants to know where the he!! they all came from, then she crucifies you.

But then the goal is to have so many saws that you can add one (or more) and she can't tell you did it.

I only have 3 (all workers) but my wife only knows about 2. Takes some slight of hand at times.

Harry K

i love cutting stuff with a chainsaw too, i just hate the hauling, stacking, splitting, stacking, sorting, and stacking again that goes with it. ;)

there is a 12 step program for saw addicts.. but it involves buying 12 saws.. :) i am on step 8 with the purchase of my Husqvarna 2100 :)
its not a runner yet.. needs a coil and starter cover to be able to do anything with.

I'm on the 10th step. just gotta get those last 2 steps done, and I'll be through the program.

Back