OK Stihl people.. Let me try this.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you want your saw with or without M-Tronic?

• With - I love mine

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Without - I can tune my own saw

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Buy an Echo

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Buy a Husky

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nipper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last post got me 3 pages of yes and no and a "definite maybe".

If given the choice would you want your saw with or without M-Tronic?

Wit or witout. Sounds like we are ordering cheesesteaks here. Might as well go wit as witout soon wont be available.

I have Stihls with it and without. I also have a few huskys I like a lot. No echos right now, but there are a few I'd like to try.

So make that one vote for each choice.

I burned-up a 362 with M-tronic, because I thought it was supposed to rev that high! :dumb:

Maybe that's the same thing that happened to one that showed up at my shop this past spring. I had to rebuild the top end and replace the coil. Both were history.
According to our local Stihl guy, he has replaced a lot of "modules" in some of these models for doing the same thing. It's like there was a "bad run" on some of these saws, or either it was an earlier model that hadn't been perfected yet. All I know is that when I bought the saw used, it still looked like new and had good compression. After I cut with it for about an hour, using good quality pre-mix, the rings were "shot". I sold it to him and he rebuilt it. I have a Husky 562 with the auto-tune, and it has not given me any issues. They seem to have a better reputation.

Last post got me 3 pages of yes and no and a "definite maybe".

If given the choice would you want your saw with or without M-Tronic?
I “wood” say both - I have mtronic and conventional carb Stihls ... the mtronic affords a “perfect tune” regardless of temperature or elevation ... the carbs obviously need to be tuned appropriately ... I’ve run both a 362 and a 362 cm and the mtronic definitely feels a bit stronger ... I believe some have swapped out the mtronic for a conventional carb and the mtronic was a hair quicker ... only downside of mtronic is if it craps-out you’re pretty much dead in the water although I’ve had good luck with them so far ! STIHL is coming out with a 500i fuel - injected saw in the near future ! We shall see how that works out ! My opinion is that these new “controlled air leak” saws may give you better fuel economy and reduce emissions however how long will they last ? 2100 husky 99cc produced in early 80’s is STIHL cutting 38 years later and just as quick if not quicker than these new epa-friendly saws ! Now they weigh more ; use more fuel and the a/v isn’t up to the modern units but they LAST! Me thinks the days when you can Buy a new saw and it Lasts 20 yrs may be behind us ! Kinda glad the 462cm is coming out soon - this means ya might be able to p/u some lightly-used 461s !!!

I “wood” say both - I have mtronic and conventional carb Stihls ... the mtronic affords a “perfect tune” regardless of temperature or elevation ... the carbs obviously need to be tuned appropriately ... I’ve run both a 362 and a 362 cm and the mtronic definitely feels a bit stronger ... I believe some have swapped out the mtronic for a conventional carb and the mtronic was a hair quicker ... only downside of mtronic is if it craps-out you’re pretty much dead in the water although I’ve had good luck with them so far ! STIHL is coming out with a 500i fuel - injected saw in the near future ! We shall see how that works out ! My opinion is that these new “controlled air leak” saws may give you better fuel economy and reduce emissions however how long will they last ? 2100 husky 99cc produced in early 80’s is STIHL cutting 38 years later and just as quick if not quicker than these new epa-friendly saws ! Now they weigh more ; use more fuel and the a/v isn’t up to the modern units but they LAST! Me thinks the days when you can Buy a new saw and it Lasts 20 yrs may be behind us ! Kinda glad the 462cm is coming out soon - this means ya might be able to p/u some lightly-used 461s !!!

When you say near future in reference to the MS500i, remember the TS480i and TS500i have been out for quite some time.

When you say near future in reference to the MS500i, remember the TS480i and TS500i have been out for quite some time.
True ... however does the average Joe have the ability to “test” the unit in his workshop at his leisure ? Diagnostic tools and software needed? What about being beholden to the dealer for a $100 “scan” ? And then the infamous $1000 in parts/labor to fix a $599 unit ! Thanks but no thanks sir !!!!

Back