Old abandoned Poulan Wild Thing. Should I fix it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I fix it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
I've been debating on picking up 1 just to see. But I really have no need of another saw. I've got plenty of saws I could give my 2 sons 1 and still have mote than enough for my needs. They must be decent because I've not found any in the trash.

4218avx.jpg I put a real aftermarket chain adjusting cover on my 4218avx. I didn't like the tool-less. The saw runs fine and yes I carry the carb tool for the occasional adjustment.

I get 4-5 a year. Usually something simple to get them running that the shop doesn’t want to bother with. I’ve had more than a few junked think that it was locked up only to find a loose coil jammed on the FW or a screw on there. I list for $75 usually get $50. I’d keep it

I had trouble with the fuel cap on my disposable Poulan. The threads were huge and didn't seem to actually fit the hole it threaded into so it always bound up and jammed. I had to practically use a pipe wrench to turn it, no matter how far out or in it was turned. Of course it leaked a bit also.

I have to admit the saw did run OK for a while. Of course it caused my hands to go numb rather quickly, but hey.

Yeah my first poulan the ppb4218 was like that. Had to put oil on the fuel cap to get it to close then battle it off with the scrench. However the pl series has a different fuel cap and its been great. I ended up taking a file to threads on the ppb4218 gas cap and slowly filed them down until they sorta worked. I think the ethanol fuel made the cap swell over time and those plastics were not made to have any ethanol on them at all.

whatever makes you happy, I've got one that is a total piece of junk, and its practically brand new
they just suck
I'd rather use a bow saw
whatever makes you happy, I've got one that is a total piece of junk, and its practically brand new
they just suck
I'd rather use a bow saw
Such negativity! If it’s “ a total piece of junk “ then go to post #13! A fellow member to the forum has made you a fair offer. Or you can search for that “ stump along the side of the road “ Fare well and stay Healthy Friend! 😀

I intercepted one at the landfill, fixed it and ran it regularly for at least 5 yrs and about 2 cords of wood a year. Starts easily and plenty of power for what I do. Recently upgraded to an Echo 590 mainly for longer bar but I still use the Poulan just to keep it running. I’d fix it and use it, good free saw.

Was the Wild Thing a strato port engine like the PP4218AVX? Or just a regular piston port engine?
I'm convinced my 4218 is such a royal b**ch to tune because of the strato charge design. I simply cannot get that thing to idle consistently. It also gained a lot of power when I richened the hi speed mixture, the damn thing was so lean from the factory it had no power.

Was the Wild Thing a strato port engine like the PP4218AVX? Or just a regular piston port engine?
I'm convinced my 4218 is such a royal b**ch to tune because of the strato charge design. I simply cannot get that thing to idle consistently. It also gained a lot of power when I richened the hi speed mixture, the damn thing was so lean from the factory it had no power.
I’m not familiar with the term strato port. That being said the Poulan Wild Thing ( 2375,P4028WT,etc ) had a totally different carburetor
than the PP4218AVX. The Poulan Pro 4218AVX had a stacked carburetor configuration that either worked well or didn’t work well at all. They used a Zama W26C Part#545070601. It was easier to just replace the carburetor and OEM was the best choice. The Wild Thing used a simplified carburetor design. They used a Walbro WT89 Part# 545081885 ( Husqvarna number ) still available new OEM for around $34 which includes the air filter housing and mixture screw rubber boot. The Wild Thing, Wood Shark,etc are decent saws. Like any saw you may have or acquire don’t store them long term with ethanol base mixed fuel.

The 2375 wild thing is a non strato saw, idk about the others. But I can say the 2375 is not a bad saw to have around and a good one to learn to port on.

The wild thing, wood shark, predators I opened had chrome rings, the factory carb was the choke points. Aftermarket carbs woke them up a bunch after getting them dialed in. No anti vibe means numb hands after a hour. I could easily keep up with a buddy's 455 rancher running that poulan 39cc predator. It made him pissed my little 150 dollar saw cut as fast as his 500 dollar husky until I let him run it and he got the vibration treatment and he exclaimed mines a cadillac with the antvibe well worth the extra cost.

Such negativity! If it’s “ a total piece of junk “ then go to post #13! A fellow member to the forum has made you a fair offer. Or you can search for that “ stump along the side of the road “ Fare well and stay Healthy Friend! 😀
I appreciate the attention to my offer, Ironhorsedoctor. I wouldn’t mind getting ahold of someone’s Wild Thing, even if it’s not running right. @mg1944 I’d be willing to pay shipping for yours if you really don’t want it.

With modern Poulans, all of the Poulan Pros are strato engines with chrome bores, all the other ones with green bodies are not strato (single throat carb) and have chrome plated pistons and bare aluminum bores.
The fuel caps that swell and get too tight are the ones that are damaged by alcohol in the fuel. Just have to leave them in the sunlight for a day or two.

I admit I used one for years after putting a bar and chain from another saw on. With a full chisel chain it would do OK. It ran...but needed constant tweaking and didn't always idle or go from idle to high speed very nicely. Of course at the time I knew nothing about carb limiters or adjustments. When fuel lines broke plastic parts broke and I tore into it to discover how it was designed, mainly not-to-be-repaired, I threw it away. I was amused at the free nuts securing the carb to the studs, nuts that if worked loose, could suck directly into the butterfly and maybe through to the engine. Nice touch.

Vibration - I wonder if anybody has fiddled with adding some sort of vibration control to these saws? Could make a nicer little saw.

I admit I used one for years after putting a bar and chain from another saw on. With a full chisel chain it would do OK. It ran...but needed constant tweaking and didn't always idle or go from idle to high speed very nicely. Of course at the time I knew nothing about carb limiters or adjustments. When fuel lines broke plastic parts broke and I tore into it to discover how it was designed, mainly not-to-be-repaired, I threw it away. I was amused at the free nuts securing the carb to the studs, nuts that if worked loose, could suck directly into the butterfly and maybe through to the engine. Nice touch.

Vibration - I wonder if anybody has fiddled with adding some sort of vibration control to these saws? Could make a nicer little saw.
The green machines are certainly strangely designed saws, but I like them for some strange reason. I like to fix stuff and improve it. As far as AV goes, some of them came with it. The 2075 that I have being shipped to me does not have any, but the 2250 I’m currently overhauling and porting came with spring AV and it’s pretty decent.

The source of my frustration was the 3314 but with the extra experience I have now I may have been able to make a decent saw out of it, though, again, why spend the time? There are much better saws available used.

Now I may have to accept the challenge and get another 3314 and see what I can do.

I can see it now, and others have probably done a lot more...

1) Anti-vibe system, probably springs
2) Different carb setup with better quality carb. Probably retrofit some sort of carb adapter.
3) Nicer fuel hose. I think it had the tiny clear kind.
4) Upgraded fuel cap
5) Adapt to a rim sprocket

I get where you're coming from, but sometimes it's nice to help out a friend in need. Case in point, I loaned my Poulan 3314 to a buddy who was down in his luck. Going through a nasty divorce. Moved out in the middle of winter and was basically living in an uninsulated shed with a wood burner. He used my saw to stay warm that winter. He returned the saw in the spring and I'm still using it. That cheap saw saved his life and it does not owe me a dime.
Your lucky to have such a good friend. In past experiences that's rarely happens. Anymore I'll gladly go and help someone out, rather then lend them any equipment with very few exceptions. Heck, if he was that desprite and good of a friend, he would have been staying at my place to begin with.

Back