old johnsy bar conundrum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnsn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My saw got kicked out of the Harp and the Embassy,now where do I go?

Anyway, I have an old unidentified jonsered. There are no markings left on it as to model etc. I was told it was a 70cc saw but the shop that got it running thought it might be a 90cc. I have it running but am have a question with the bar- it is a Total Super Bar sn 48PV84 and is a .375/.058. The thing is that the mounting slot seems to be .400 wide and I can't seem to find anyone selling such a bar. Does anybody have any info?/source

I guess I could just email Bailey's but I was hoping to find what to look for so I could shop myself- Thanks

I can't help you with the model number of your Jonsered but the closest bar tail pattern to what you described would be the Oregon D024 at .395". A 20 inch bar would be part number 208RNDD024 from Oregon in .058 gauge. Here is a link for the Oregon numbering system: http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/cross_ref_guides/OCS_85.pdf

Mark

That is right, but if you have trouble finding a bar with D024 mount, a large Husky (D009) will fit, with slight filing inside the slot.

Johnny Bar

Baileys has a wide variety of bars (not advertised) in that mount. If you call up and ask what bars are available in a PP58 mount (the saleman can type in that size/mount and it will list all available models) there should be a long list. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much guys, I knew I could get an answer here. Once I had some info to start with I found a document that has drawings of many bar tails and as noted, it is the oregon D024 mount, which is 10mm.Thanks woodfarmer- but the current bar is about that big. After going on Mike Acres site I think that it is a 70 based on the pictures. I guess it is on to Bailey's to see what is available.

When I got this 70 the guy who had it said it wouldn't stay running and showed me how after he started it , it would never finally come up, and would finally die.
After playing with it a few times I realized that if you could lock on the throttle with a button. And then I found that if you started the saw with the throttle locked on it revved right up and after you released the throttle it was fine. Never had a problem since then

Thanks again

Thanks so much guys, I knew I could get an answer here. Once I had some info to start with I found a document that has drawings of many bar tails and as noted, it is the oregon D024 mount, which is 10mm.Thanks woodfarmer- but the current bar is about that big. After going on Mike Acres site I think that it is a 70 based on the pictures. I guess it is on to Bailey's to see what is available.

When I got this 70 the guy who had it said it wouldn't stay running and showed me how after he started it , it would never finally come up, and would finally die.
After playing with it a few times I realized that if you could lock on the throttle with a button. And then I found that if you started the saw with the throttle locked on it revved right up and after you released the throttle it was fine. Never had a problem since then

Thanks again

Sounds like the high idle lock.......:cheers:

Saw Troll- High Idle Lock? is that how you are supposed to start it? For the kind of cutting I do ( in smaller hardwood) I can't imagine wanting to lock it on while running it so I figured it must have something to do with starting it. I have to admit that since I acquired a new 2171 this beast is doing more benchwarming, mostly because of the extra 10 pounds

Latest posts

Back