Old saw demonstration/GTG Baraboo WI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I organize the antique and vintage saw demonstration at Baraboo Wisconsin. It is held at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show. We've been having this demonstration since 1999. There are 5 classes.
Antique 2-man, Antique geardrive, vintage 5cu and under, vintage 5cu and up, vintage hotsaw. We use 1979 as the limit for vintage, so if the saw began production in 1979, but was actually produced in 1981, it still qualifies. The antiques are a little vague. The 2 man saws have been saws such as Mac 7-55, Mall 7, Disston. Geardrives have been everything from Mac 33 to Stihl 090G. There will be 10X10 cottonwood for the vintage classes. The geardrives will cut a round log about 15". The 2-man saws will be cutting something between 20" and 29" This event is held at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show near Baraboo WI on Saturday August 21 at 12:00 noon. See the website for maps and info on the Steam show.
http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/
Contact me for info on the saw demonstration.
If you bring a saw to run or display, you get in free through the exhibitor gate.
There is a 200+ saw display Friday through Sunday. We can make demonstration cuts whenever we want. There is plenty of wood to cut.
The feature brands at this years show are International Harvestor, Fuller and Johnson, and Custom tractors. This is a large show with 12,000+ visitors through the gate and a big swap meet.
I have many videos of the event on youtube, username macandmall.
Scott

Hello Scott,

I plan to be there again this year. A freind of mine up in Saskatchewan, Canada is coming down to give us some freindly Canadien competition. I believe he will be bringing some saw models that have never been at Baraboo before. If the weather is good as last year it should be a great time.

Bill

this steam show is unbelievable! used to go to it every year (i used to live in baraboo) awesome place to see vintage machinery,should be neat to see some old saws too!

I have it in my sights as well and certainly hope to make it this year. I will try to have the Wright reciprocating saw in running/cutting condition as well.

Can I put a handle on the end of my 840 and run it as a two man?

attachment.php

Mark

Photo's from 2008, I didn't make it in 2009 on account of being out of the country.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't live anywhere near WI, but boy does that look like a good time! Wish they had one them in the New England area.....:(

Hey Mark, I don't think it will be a big threat to the 7-55 or big disston, I guess it will be OK unless the other guys have a problem with it.
Scott

Hey Mark, I don't think it will be a big threat to the 7-55 or big disston, I guess it will be OK unless the other guys have a problem with it.
Scott

I asked back a few years ago if I could run the 1130 with a 60" in the two man and I was told no. I guess things are different now.

Bill

Well I guess we're going to have to set a cut-off date for the 2-man saws. Since we call these antique 2-man saws, in my mind, I'm thinking somewhere around 1955 or earlier would best describe the saws we have had in this class. I'll consider your opinions.
Scott

I may have a saw along that would qualify as being pre '55 that could accept a stinger. Don't worry, I wasn't serious about the 840 except it might be fun just to see how it compares.

I mentioned to my wife that I would be gone from 15-22 August and miss our anniversary, she wondered why bother mentoning it, she figures I've been gone more often than I've been home for it the past 15 years or so.

Mark

Just remember, you can run anything you want for an exhibition before or after the event.
Scott

I think I can make this one. I have been wanting to go to it for years to see the tractors. hopefully I will have my 090G up and running by then , and beable to enter it.

Beefie

I am getting my Mall Model 6 put together for it, but I'm in a bind! I need a working chain for it. Anyone out there have a chain for a 36" bar?
Marty

Really looking forward to the event.

If you can't come up with one, we'll just take the bar and chain off my model 7.
Scott

Latest posts

Back