Old School top handle Craftamsn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota84

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got my dads old craftsman (poulan) chainsaw 358-352350. Runs then dies when it gets hot but will restart once it cools off. Think its the electronic coil module. Its not available any more from the manufacturer. Part # 530039088. I see poulan part number 530039198 looks the same? Any Ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    971.9 KB · Views: 32
That's one of the Poulans that were badged as a Craftsman. My guess is the part would work.

Go to the Chainsaw Stickies at the top of this page, click on it, and all of the brand specific threads drop down. Ask the Poulan guys.

Your saw is the Craftsman version of the Poulan S25DA. Shouldn't be too hard to find a module/coil for it, they were not know for a high failure rate. Last known part number is 530039141.

Now who was the hack that run that fuel line like that?

Well, That hack would be me. I could not for the life of me get that plastic line to thread into the hole the factory did. It does have one advantage. I can see if there is fuel going to the carb. :) As for the vent being clogged that was the first thing i checked. It run about 5 to ten minutes depending on how hard i push it until it warms up, then dies. Was a great little saw. Ive used it for years and it would rip through just about anything i tried to cut. I just make sure to always use "true fuel mix" in it.

Like was said, verify when it quits running that it has no spark, pull the plug wire right away and put a spark checker on it. If you replace the module/coil, the gap to the flywheel should be .020"

As for being the hack, here you go, you don't have to keep being one. Haha. I once done a detailed how to here on how to replace that line, but the pictures got lost. Here are enough to show you how to do it. As you can see its much easier to remove the flywheel but I have done it without it. Notice the angle cut on the end of the line to help it through the hole and a place to push the wire through.

While you at it, check and make sure the foam seal is still on the throttle rod where it goes through the carb box. After this many years most of them have deteriorated and will allow dirt and stuff to enter the carb box area.

100_7267 (Custom).JPG100_7269 (Custom).JPG

Latest posts

Back