OMG Don't buy That

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition to the wannabe chinese saws, I wouldn't recommend any of the current offerings from Homelite and McCulloch. I've found them to be horrible and not anything like their namesake.

The new Poulan stuff, while not robust like they used to be, aren't really all that bad.

I like to envision what I would buy if I was out of town and needed a cheap saw to help a family member deal with a tree. It would probably be a Poulan and for sure wouldn't be the Homelite or Mac.

In addition to the wannabe chinese saws, I wouldn't recommend any of the current offerings from Homelite and McCulloch. I've found them to be horrible and not anything like their namesake.

The new Poulan stuff, while not robust like they used to be, aren't really all that bad.

I like to envision what I would buy if I was out of town and needed a cheap saw to help a family member deal with a tree. It would probably be a Poulan and for sure wouldn't be the Homelite or Mac.
yep, i was actually thinking of buying one of the Friday doorbuster poulans at TSC yesterday, but i have enough wild things and other versions there of to keep my hands tingling for a while............:)

New Homelites. I've got a bucket full of yellow handles I cut off before trashing them. Remind me to throw them out, too, cause even they're so crappy, I could never bring myself to put one on an unrelated machine.

+1 on don't buy newer Homelites. Plastic so thin, you can almost see thru it. A plastic pull handle that breaks. A brass tube out of the carb for impulse - you can't throw any old carb on it. Very weak antivibe springs - if you mean mug the saw, it jiggles. And the saws look just plain cheesy.

Husqvarna 242xp'x, 254xp's, 262xp, 272xp's - actually anything 2--xp. You should box them up and send them to me to dispose of properly.
Well I heard the 3 series is worse so we should send all 3 series before any 2 series. Lol

The saws would outlast their owners if they are properly maintained, its the lack of maintenance that kills them not the quality of the machine itself. I have our 1950 era saws that still are running fine after many years of hard use.

Been saying that myself for as long as I can recall. :rock:

After getting in a echo 310 for a check up and sharpen some chains for it. I could not tell anyone to buy one of those turds. For 30.5cc that is the worst saw I have ever had the displeasure of trying to test cut with.

Back