On how to be the best kind of idiot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchWoodPecker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As a chainsaw newbie I am looking at the prices of new saws.
I am somewhat taken aback, but also quite aware that good money gets good gear, and that in the end it is probably well worth it.
I am prepared to dish out for good tools, as I know the pleasure a reliable and trustworthy tool brings.

More over, all my maintenance skills of combustion engines comes from a petrol RC car when I was a teenager.
I am well aware that this skill level is probably not enough to analyze and tackle serious problems with chainsaw engines.

So the best and most sensible thing to do would be to get a new saw, from a good store, with warranty.
But then, there are a lot of really fun second hand saws on industrial auction here, for a decent prize.
Such as a an Echo 750 EVL, that even comes with its own *crate*: https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/nl/kettingzaag/03-40165-30956-7908484/

It is a country away, so getting gas across the border (for my car, not the saw) will cover a significant part of the cost of the gas of driving there,
and the saw probably has issues, or it would not be there on auction. Yet, it is a fascinating.

There is also a well worn Stihl 046 that I read on this forum is a valued peace of equipment: https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/nl/kettingzaag/03-39507-30956-7845991/
From its looks, it is only good for scrap, but looks can deceive.

I would buy such a saw knowing that it may, but probably will not, work out. Either way it can be a fun project to take apart and learn from, without having to mourn a serious loss if mess things up.
I would consider it a lottery ticket. The chances of winning are small, but it might just be a decent saw.

Would I be a bad kind of idiot if I would fall for such an offer, or would I be a good kind of fool? 🤔
Advice on how to channel my idiocy would be much appreciated.

The 046 is a nice saw, for it's era, parts are still available both OEM and Aftermarket, it is basically the same as an MS460 with normal fuel and oil caps on the tank.
The EViL Echo, not so easy to repair and get parts for and the 046 is a much nicer saw to use in my opinion.
My advice would be buy the 046 if the price does not climb too much more- it looks complete and all there- so that is a good start, it will clean up and can be easily repaired. If it starts being bid up towards the 100 Euro mark, then drop it like a hot rock- there will be other better ones come along.
But, if you are wanting a saw to use- to provide firewood and the like, buy yourself a new primary saw with warranty etc, then you can play with the 046 until it is all fixed up and running well.

Buy an entry level saw from a decent manufacturer, e.g. a Stihl MS 170 and use it to cut firewood.

Grab some cheap crap saws from the scrap bin and pull them to pieces, try to get them working again and you'll learn about saw mechanical repairs quite quickly.

By then if your MS170 breaks down you may be able to fix it.

Beware of CAD though, it's an insidious disease.

I agree with ST.
For a 1st saw, play it safe and get something that works. You'll learn a lot before it begins to have problems. And if you learn as you go, it might be a runner far longer then you might own it before upgrading.

At least that's how it was with my ms290. After 10 years of use, my knowledge grew high, the saw ran like new when I sold it, and for almost what I paid.

Buy an entry level saw from a decent manufacturer, e.g. a Stihl MS 170 and use it to cut firewood.

Grab some cheap crap saws from the scrap bin and pull them to pieces, try to get them working again and you'll learn about saw mechanical repairs quite quickly.

By then if your MS170 breaks down you may be able to fix it.

Beware of CAD though, it's an insidious disease.
Insidious disease? yeah I'm developing a red rash down my legs. Oops, not a rash afterall, leaking fuel cap full of Red Armor.That was close

Better get you a new echo saw 'from a dealer' and not a chainstore. Cs-400 cs-590 cs-620. Haven't had any issues in almost 30 years with my echo power equipment. Husky and stihl are great saws but I like having the extra money to buy some extra bars and chains
Good tip. There are actually Echo dealers around here. They have it mostly as a side job of 1 or 2 Echo models beside their two dozen Stihl models, but it is better than nothing.

What is this CAD you all appear to be so familiar with? 🤔 😉
CAD Is a humorous concept here on this site standing for 'C'hainsaw 'S'aw 'Disorder (or 'D'isease) yo have the potential of becoming a chainsaw hoarding fiend that speaks (BABBLES) of little else than CHAINSAWS....

CAD Is a humorous concept here on this site standing for 'C'hainsaw 'S'aw 'Disorder (or 'D'isease) yo have the potential of becoming a chainsaw hoarding fiend that speaks (BABBLES) of little else than CHAINSAWS....
how many saws does one need to own to be a confirmed case.......................................................

Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder can be an inherited disease, present in your genetic makeup! It is generally not diagnosed until one possesses at least 5 or 6 saws :D
shoot that means I'm a confirmed case............................A stihl. 390sp. 365xp. 365 in bits, 455 Rancher, 350. 242..................................................................................
thinking of a battery saw probably a Milwaukee..................

Close but no cigar... That would be rather (take you pick) 'chainsaw acquisition/accumulation disease/disorder'...

Ah, thank y'all for the explanation about CAD. It reminds me of MTS, which is a disorder afflicting fish keepers. It stands for Multiple Tank Syndrome, and causes the patient to want to acquire ever more (and of course bigger) fish tanks. Somehow I have proven to be immune to MTS, and also the MGS (Multiple Guitar Syndrome). So I guess I will also be resistant to CAD, but it is always good to be on guard. 😉

Back