On how to be the best kind of idiot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CAD Is a humorous concept here on this site standing for 'C'hainsaw 'S'aw 'Disorder (or 'D'isease) yo have the potential of becoming a chainsaw hoarding fiend that speaks (BABBLES) of little else than CHAINSAWS....

Close but no cigar... That would be rather (take you pick) 'chainsaw acquisition/accumulation disease/disorder'...
[/QUOTE] ZOWEE did I mess up that post #18!!! I should proof read better. I will blame it all on my schipperke sitting on my lap and distracting me. I should and would have said "Chainsaw Addiction Disorder" Never considered "acquisition/Accumulation" I like them werds too. AND Like they say in the Old Folks Home "It ain't what I Said It is what I meant".

Good tip. There are actually Echo dealers around here. They have it mostly as a side job of 1 or 2 Echo models beside their two dozen Stihl models, but it is better than nothing.
Does your echo dealer stock the 4310sx or the 4910sx, they seem to
be difficult to get in Ireland where I am, but great saws.

Does your echo dealer stock the 4310sx or the 4910sx, they seem to
be difficult to get in Ireland where I am, but great saws.
Googling on:
echo 4910sx site:.nl
has exactly zero results. 🤔

The 4310sx only has a very shady site referring to the 4510se that has article number: CS-4310SX-35
Or they just messed up. Either way, it is 730 euro (about 800 US$ for our transatlantic friends)
That is almost Echo CS-590 money, as Brufab recommended. 🤔

Googling on:

The 4310sx only has a very shady site referring to the 4510se that has article number: CS-4310SX-35
Or they just messed up. Either way, it is 730 euro (about 800 US$ for our transatlantic friends)
Yea saw prices are all over the place one place is 299.99$ another place is 419.99$ gives a guy something to do to look around for the best price, as the C.A.D creeps in. I lucked out and got 2 cs-590 for 239.99 each as my dealer matched them to a chainstores clearance price as they were switching to homeowner size huskys.

Googling on:

Yes, I found a few Echos 4310 saws and they are all really expensive for what they are, the 590 is certainly better value. I was looking for a 4310 for a friend,
might buy one for myself if they are at the right price, but they are not.

If a guy is just cutting 16" and under firewood that cs-400 value pack is a good deal. Chains can be had cheap on ebay. The case is nice because you can fit some wedges and misc tools plus a quart of gas and bar oil in it plus spare bar. I paid more for my cs 400 than the 590. I think i paid 299-319$ for the cs400 value pack/kit.

Only thing I'll say bad about Stihl is parts acquisition and service info (diagrams, etc.) for DIY'ers. Stihl keeps that all locked up. It's infuriating, especially when you have the ability to repair these things just as good as any shop can. Last time I had a customer's hedge trimmer in here, the dealer charged me shipping for the part! I was livid! This was at the time when you could still get tax free stuff off the net.

I started out as a DIY, and I consider my small business to be just an advanced DIY operation. I'll be doing carb cleans on saws and lawn equipment one day, and diagnosing driveability problems on computer controlled rolling Tupperware the next. I work on anything that burns fuel, even oil burners. That said, Husqvarna and Echo are the only 2 saws I would consider for myself, knowing how much easier both are to get diagrams and parts for. Plus the fact that either one seems to last forever with reasonable care.

if you think cad is bad -try machine tools
No, no, no. Machine tools are completely different. You don't really need more than a one or two lathes and mills. Possibly a surface grinder. A DRO for each. And who needs more than one optical comparator? Of course, you can't turn a 6" micrometer around to measure the other half. You have to have a full set. And a full set of gauges to verify their accuracy. And a set of internal mikes. And circular gauges for those. And thread mikes -- can't forget thread mikes. Plus a height gauge, which of course requires a granite surface plate...

@DutchWoodPecker I would get whatever has the most support in your area. If that still place sells Echo's then I would probably go with them as you can buy parts online for them. where as stihl can be a PITA in regards to parts and manuals etc.

regardless get something you can get support for.

As a chainsaw newbie I am looking at the prices of new saws.
I am somewhat taken aback, but also quite aware that good money gets good gear, and that in the end it is probably well worth it.
I am prepared to dish out for good tools, as I know the pleasure a reliable and trustworthy tool brings.

More over, all my maintenance skills of combustion engines comes from a petrol RC car when I was a teenager.
I am well aware that this skill level is probably not enough to analyze and tackle serious problems with chainsaw engines.

So the best and most sensible thing to do would be to get a new saw, from a good store, with warranty.
But then, there are a lot of really fun second hand saws on industrial auction here, for a decent prize.
Such as a an Echo 750 EVL, that even comes with its own *crate*: https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/nl/kettingzaag/03-40165-30956-7908484/

It is a country away, so getting gas across the border (for my car, not the saw) will cover a significant part of the cost of the gas of driving there,
and the saw probably has issues, or it would not be there on auction. Yet, it is a fascinating.

There is also a well worn Stihl 046 that I read on this forum is a valued peace of equipment: https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/nl/kettingzaag/03-39507-30956-7845991/
From its looks, it is only good for scrap, but looks can deceive.

I would buy such a saw knowing that it may, but probably will not, work out. Either way it can be a fun project to take apart and learn from, without having to mourn a serious loss if mess things up.
I would consider it a lottery ticket. The chances of winning are small, but it might just be a decent saw.

Would I be a bad kind of idiot if I would fall for such an offer, or would I be a good kind of fool? 🤔
Advice on how to channel my idiocy would be much appreciated.
I went to an antique auction for a friend who knew I used to collect and sell antiques. Took my wife too.
My wife struck up a conversation with a very nice lady who was enjoying herself.
This lady bid on some antique mahogany furniture and won. My wife had mentioned to her that I was an antique expert.

Upon winning, the lady asked me how old this furniture was.
My answer was; It is less than a year old. She was shocked but she still liked the furniture.

Check femalelumberjack on youtube. She is a professional tree service worker in Denmark and walks the walk. Lots of good advice and maybe some hints on making the expensive purchase.

Check femalelumberjack on youtube. She is a professional tree service worker in Denmark and walks the walk. Lots of good advice and maybe some hints on making the expensive purchase.
She is indeed a treasure trove of information! Thank you!

I went to an antique auction for a friend who knew I used to collect and sell antiques. Took my wife too.
My wife struck up a conversation with a very nice lady who was enjoying herself.
This lady bid on some antique mahogany furniture and won. My wife had mentioned to her that I was an antique expert.

Upon winning, the lady asked me how old this furniture was.
My answer was; It is less than a year old. She was shocked but she still liked the furniture.
And thus the student of chainsaw-zen found enlightenment 😊

Latest posts

Back