One ring vs Two rings on 2 stroke chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doesnt matter. ....

I tend to agree, rumors say the only reason Husky use two rings on some larger models in the US, is a massive campaign by Stihl some time ago, with hype about 2 rings beeing better.

Husky still use one ring on the same saws elsewhere, as far as I know......

The 2 rings Husky's were to pass EPA a few years back. Interesting, that that make it harder to pass the 2010 emissions due to the tiny amount of unburnt trapped between the rings... The single ring pistons are still available.

That is a more likely explanation......:)

Last edited:
I tend to agree, the only reason Husky use two rings on some larger models in the US, is a massive campaign by Stihl some time ago, with hype about 2 rings beeing better.

Husky still use one ring on the same saws elsewhere, as far as I know......

BINGO..............................................What i figured all a Stihl deal.
I figured it didn't really matter if they had one or two.

Last edited:
BINGO..............................................What i figured all a Stihl deal.
I figured it didn't really matter if they had one or two.

Ah, so you are now satisfied when one guys says what you want to hear?;)
so.. reverse the question... Why bother with two? Oh., I forgot.. you're stihl trolling...

Hint:It does make a difference... and it's not to hold the piston straight. :popcorn:

As for the "massive stihl campaign" lololol Ask 10,000 (NON AS) guys how many rings are on their pistons... lolol

BTW.. I'm Andy. Not that other guy:monkey:

Last edited:
My post wasn't really finished when you quoted it - I am slow some times......:)

Oops I jumped the gun again. Ok then all Stihl's should pass emission as is(wrong). But why do new smaller Husky saws still have only one? Does my Ne346XP have two? Isn't it suppose to be emissions ready? Heck i guess it dosen't matter but the Stihl guys still use this as a point. Like I said I am not pro to any saw brand(just look at my sig) and a Stihl may be in my future.

Last edited:
Ah, so you are now satisfied when one guys says what you want to hear?;)
so.. reverse the question... Why bother with two? Oh., I forgot.. you're stihl trolling...

Hint:It does make a difference... and it's not to hold the piston straight. :popcorn:

As for the "massive stihl campaign" lololol Ask 1 people 10,000 (NON AS) who many rings are in their pistons... lolol

BTW.. I'm Andy. Not that other guy:monkey:

Sorry Andy and Ultra got your two post mixed up. And again I prefer to cast not troll...........................................................................................

Well since it does make a difference and not to hold the piston straight then tell us oh mighty one.

Last edited:
Was wondering when you guys would chime in.:dizzy:
Don't know about the Wild Child and my JD but my Shinny has two......

I just thought I would toss in a bone, hell ya ought to be happy,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

you guys ever go to the motcross races and she those crazey kids racen the 60cc bikes. the modern 60cc motocrossers put 60cc saws to shame. those things freakn are screamers. you would not belive the power they get out of them. a 200lb full grown man could get on one and be like holy freakn #### this thing is screamn with me on it.

yes pro motocrossers are rebuilding top ends almost as often as they put fuel in the things.

if i remember right kawasaki recomends15- 30hrs on a ring. maybe less id have to research that to find out for sure. but its an ungodly amount of almost no hours.

when i raced i rebuilt 5 times in a year and that was much much less than the pros. i broke my leg after going pro. biked sat till i healed raced a again blew top end and thats all she wrote for racen carreer. lol. now my garage is full of other bikes not mine, they dont seem to ever go away even though i dont ride anymore.

you know 4 stroke motcross bikes are revn in the 13s now. a 426cc4stroke yamah is comparable to the same 250cc 2 stroke yamaha. and the big 4 strokes are raceing in the 250cc class so they can be competitive. the 4 strokes last much longer but they still have very tight mantanence schedule.

the rings have to be there they are stabalizeing and two may stabalize more than 1 you could not have a running motor with tight fitting pistion. even if theyr is a slight amount of room inside the ring gap and against the cylinder wall its enough to build compression and also stabalize. another thing is the rings are not aluminum. they exspand as the engine comes to operateing temps. this is the reason you dont want to fire up a 2 stroke and pin dog snot out of it. 2 strokes can cold seize very easy. give her minute or two and the run like you stole

when building a chevy 350 or any hotrod v-8 the builder will file the ring end gap to optimum specs. these specs arent for cold engine somehow someone some figured out the spec that it needs to be at operateing tempetures.
4 strokes also have an oil ring that carries oil to cylinder walls. this gives alot of 4 strokes 3 rings total.

there is so much technolgy that realy. all i know is if something came with 1 ring then im not gona care or wonder why it doesnt have two because 1 is all it needs. and ive researched nor am i smart enough to find out why. i can only guess to why other motors have 2 rings but it would just be guess and in the end my conclusion doesnt realy matter. ill just rebuild as it was entended and if those parts are difrent i may question why but not much more than that.

You ever hear a term called Piston slap? It's a real common problem in Drag Racing. The rings are what keep the piston true to the bore. Take them out and that piston will knock around like crazy.
anj_bs.gif
All the rings in the world won't cure piston slap. Rings seal the bore. Piston slap is from excessive piston to cylinder wall clearance, measured at the skirt. Now if you were talking about blow-by then I would agree. Two rings or one if it's got at least 100psi of compression it will run.:greenchainsaw: .....454

Back