One saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One saw plan

• 50cc and under

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 60 and under

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • 70 and under

Votes: 52 47.7%
  • 80 and over

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

moody

I realize that one saw is unacceptable and unethical. That being said if the epa cracked down and limited us to 1 saw a piece, what size would it be ? The control for this poll is you would be cutting hard wood up to 40inches in diameter..

Yes I realize lots of saws are over 70 and under 80, let's just consider them 70cc

Last edited by a moderator:
i would choose the biggest saw. i don't think i could live with just a one saw plan though :msp_wink:

A semi wise man once said 6 cubes go forth and fear no evil. I believe at 7 cubes you meet god or something to that effect. And 8 cubes pretty much deify's you, I'd read.

What sort of balsa is cut in this country that would allow a 461 to pull a 32" bar Darren ? :p

........and skip .325" chain on that bar doesn't count :hmm3grin2orange:

hey I figured if my 460 would pull a 32" in our wood the 461 would be a race saw over there :big_smile:

I have been thinking of having Randy take a new MS660-R and porting the snot out of it. This would push me into making it happen !
36" and 48" bars with RS chain

If I could keep only one saw it would be my ms361/20" Which, ironically is the saw I use the least right now.

The epa would probably prefer that we have more than one saw -- allows you to match the CC's to the job at hand.

Maybe one day the EPA will institute a tax credit to upgrade our saws to newer efficient models -- like they did with woodstoves. Or even better an exchange program like cash for clunkers. I'd happily drop off an 024 for a new 241 :rock:

Why would the EPA care how many saws you have, and under what powers could they limit how many you buy? That's silly. You can't use but one at a time anyway - unless they're top handles maybe! The economy is more likely to limit what you own.

For gathering firewood I can do the vast majority of it with a 42cc/18" saw, but I won't be able to handle 4' with that. I'd have to let those sit. Then again there are few 4' trees here any more.

There's a 5-6' catalpa right next to my house that will unfortunately have to come down soon - it's 100yo. In my Walter Mitty day dreams I think about getting a used large saw and doing it myself (I'd be way ahead money wise). But I'll have to pay someone to take it down as there is too much risk that close to the house, I really don't have time for a project like that and I know it is hollow (old catalpas are all hollow). It really should be pieced out, the clean up would take a long time, and I don't have a chipper/shredder. After it is down I could cut up the majority of it with a 42cc/18" saw quite easily.

Don't think it's practical to limb with a 70cc saw. Limbing is time consuming, labor-intensive, fussy, and poses certain risks; basically a PITA. Conventional wisdom suggests a 60cc best covers most tasks. Assuming equally competent Husky and Stihl dealers nearby, I'd choose the Husky 562xp for its combination of light weight, good handling and power. 2nd choice: Stihl MS361 for similar reasons. 3rd choice: Stihl MS362, which I've used and found to be user-friendly with good power and torque.

Also depends on the user's age and physical condition. A good friend is 65 and not in great shape; after an hour with his MS361, he's done for the day. I told him I'd like dibs on the saw if he ever decides to get rid of it.

I have a feeling this question has caused a lot of facial twitching with the thought of only being able to own one saw.

Back