Opinions on tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
alright everyone - looking to upgrade the utility tractor that i have been using for years. It is an 89 massey ferguson 1045 about 35ish engine HP 30ish PTO. 4wd with a loader. it works great, but the engine manufacturer is out of business (i wish it had a perkins) and some parts are hard to find. Looking to get something slightly bigger 4wd with a loader. looking for 45-55 PTO HP. I know tractors are like the ford/chevy/dodge debate, but i don't have a favorite tractor brand, NH, Case, MF, JD, Kubota. new or used doesn't matter Only thing i won't do is hydrostatic.

locally i have found two MF on craigslist a 05 263 and an 10 2615 (this is about as small as i would like 42 PTO HP). any one have pros/cons or either or on any others.

the 1045

011-2_zps80f1d304.jpg

Last edited:
alright everyone - looking to upgrade the utility tractor that i have been using for years. It is an 89 massey ferguson 1045 about 35ish engine HP 30ish PTO. 4wd with a loader. it works great, but the engine manufacturer is out of business (i wish it had a perkins) and some parts are hard to find. Looking to get something slightly bigger 4wd with a loader. looking for 45-55 PTO HP. I know tractors are like the ford/chevy/dodge debate, but i don't have a favorite tractor brand, NH, Case, MF, JD, Kubota. new or used doesn't matter Only thing i won't do is hydrostatic.

locally i have found two MF on craigslist a 05 263 and an 10 2615 (this is about as small as i would like 42 PTO HP). any one have pros/cons or either or on any others.

the 1045

011-2_zps80f1d304.jpg

I like your picture. You can get a lot of work with that. You also have a nice load of wood on the trailer.
I am in interested in why you have the front tires tread reversed.

I like your picture. You can get a lot of work with that. You also have a nice load of wood on the trailer.
I am in interested in why you have the front tires tread reversed.

yep it has been good, just getting a little small

supposedly reversing teh front tires doesn't tear up the gound as much, at least that's why my father flipped them

Hey Terry, this weekend Atlantic Tractor is having their annual Open House at all 12 locations. They blow all their used tractors out at basement prices. If needed I 'll forward to you the email. Also they got a handful of Stihls at 18-20 % off list.

Frank

:msp_biggrin:

so i have been doing some (lots of) research, most of it online. this next week i will be visiting (i hope) 5 different dealers, each carrying one brand of tractor. I have crossed case off the list because the nearest dealer is 60ish miles away and i never go that direction. added mahindra to the list. i have found that the "compact" tractors are more expensive, lighter, less hp, lower capacities, than the "utility" tractor.

massey - i like the 1648/1653 in the compact tractors and the 2615 in the utility tractor

new holland - the boomer 50 compact, workmaster 55 in a utility tractor

mahindra - 5035 compact, 5010 utility

kubota, john deere i have not done much research on.

tomorrow i hope to get to the kubota and mahindra dealers

I view tractors like cars, go test drive them! What "fits" one guy does not work for another.
I have been very satisfied with my 4510 Mahindra cab tractor, it has done a lot of things that I should have grabbed a bigger machine for.

I have a Yanmar that is identical to the JD 990 and it's been a very good unit. Not a big jump from what you have. If you are looking new I can't help except to stay away from Montana, LG, Bobcat, Kioti, and any Chinese tractors. I would stay with the name brands JD, Kubota, NH, CaseIH, and Massey.

I personally am on the lookout for a JD 1650 in 4WD with decent hours. A buddy has one and it is a very nice 60hp tractor with the loader, built by Yanmar but it is sweet.

the 990 has a bigger engine, but physically it is a smaller tractor. and i have discovered in my searching and visiting that most compacts are smaller physically than the 1045. which is pushing me further and further towards a utility sized tractor. looked at an LS today (LS makes the NH and Case tractors <50HP as of 2011) nice tractor 41PTO HP physically much smaller. looked at a kubota L4600 38.3 PTO HP physically really small and slightly lighter than the MF also not really a fan of how the operator's station was laid out. think i will need to go back and look at their utilities tractor MX4700/5100

I looked at the Kubota M59 tractor/loader/backhoe. Just about fell in love with that tractor despite it being hydrostatic. Found one in a rental fleet, catch was, it had never gone out on a rental. Listed for $78k, they were asking $42k for that one. Shame I was unable to purchase at the time.

I looked at the Kubota M59 tractor/loader/backhoe. Just about fell in love with that tractor despite it being hydrostatic. Found one in a rental fleet, catch was, it had never gone out on a rental. Listed for $78k, they were asking $42k for that one. Shame I was unable to purchase at the time.

that is pretty pricey. luckily we already have a backhoe. it's very handy when you need it

002_zps5064e363.jpg

thinking utility sized tractor. got some quotes. skid steer compatible FEL, 4x4, gear trans, one set of remotes (unless 2 are standard)

NH Workmaster 55 $27100
JD 5055E $28750
Kioti DK55 $25750
Gotta check on the MF 2615 and the Mahindra 5530

I have crossed Kubota off the list they seem small and really light for the tractor. Their utility tractor weighs less than 300lbs more than our MF1045. and physically isn't any bigger. too small.

I'm a Massey Man my self but would still keep the NH in mind if I were looking for something newer. Most people I know flip the front tires on there loader tractors for reverase traction when backing out of a spot with a loaded bucket.

test driving the tractors didn't go as smoothl as i would have hoped. went to the first dealer, has Kioti and New Holland. Tried to start one tractor nothing sounds like a dead battery, salesman and i went inside to talk to the mechanic and tell them about dead, fine out a little about the tractor and then head outside to the second tractor. guess what another dead freaking battery. not looking good for them. left at this point to keep my other appointment. the went to the massey dealer. one tractor started, guess what the other dead battery, while i demoed the first one and talked to the salesman they got the second one running. the 1648 was quiet very nice extendable rear links, remotes, etc. only problem was the operator station was small for my frame and the foot throttle was in an awkward place probably would have fit frank perfectly. the 2615 was much louder and simpler, not quite as nice fit and finish, it was also more comfortable to me. next week i have 3 more to drive

the two masseys

the one in the background is a proven design, back to the To-35. Still have the bump in the bellhousing opposite of the Perkins starter for the Continental gas starter. 4wd has planetary, other less rugged

the one in the background is a proven design, back to the To-35. Still have the bump in the bellhousing opposite of the Perkins starter for the Continental gas starter. 4wd has planetary, other less rugged

you are absolutely right. if work ever slows down i will get a chance to demo a couple more tractors and make a decision

I'm looking at the Mahindra 5010 cab model. They are having 0% financing deals at the local dealer. Does anyone have knowledge or experience about these ?

Latest posts

Back