Opinions on what saw fits best

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly708

Reaction score
We are heating an 1890's Michigan farmhouse with only wood. We have a National forest firewood permit which allows cutting on any down dead stuff and some standing dead(standing within 200ft of roads) I have read a crap ton of reviews and am just wondering which saw you use and why. I do have both a Stihl and Husq dealer in the area so travel is not an issue. Thanks, Bill

P.S.
We are using a 38cc Homelite and it is not going to last long with as much as we use it)

Depending on what size of wood you are cutting a MS 361 is usually really good for most people.

I have a 441 and its all I use. Absolutely my favorite saw

You'll get as many answers to this question as there are chainsaws:msp_smile: I use mostly older saws and I have quite a few. I don't really know what the latest and greatest saws are. If you want to get one firewood saw then I would recommend something in the 60cc range. A stihl 034 Super was my first real saw (62cc). It will gladly (if not quickly) handle up to 30" diameter wood yet it isn't too heavy to use for extended periods of time.

The Husky equivilant would probably be a 562 and Stihl would be MS362. These are both pro level saws and will probably last you a lifetime of cutting firewood. If these are out of your budget then possibly the Husky 455/460 or Stihl 311/391 might fit. These are more of a mid grade saw but would still serve your needs I would think.

If most of the stuff you cut is under 20" then a 50 cc saw would get the job done. Pro saws would be the MS261 in Stihl or Husky 346/550. Mid level would be stihl 291 or Husky 450.

If you are regularly working stuff over 24" then you might want to consider a 70cc pro saw. If you wander a little farther down the forum page you'll see the chainsaw forum. If you ask this question there you will probably be told that a 70cc is the only saw that will do what you need:msp_wink: Husky 576 or Stihl 441 are two posibilities there.

If you let us know your budget and the size of the firewood you deal with I'm sure we can help to narrow down your shopping list.

The size of your trees will be the determining factor, but as was suggested previously, stick with the pro-level saws. This is a serious proposition for y'all, so reinvest some of the money you saved on heating oil and spend it on a saw so you can scrounge up enough wood to keep warm.

A 60cc saw with a 18 and 24" bar combo is a pretty versatile setup for a one-saw guy.

I'd consider having two good saws, just to be on the safe side, in which case a 50cc and 70-80cc pair might make sense.

I cut 15-20 cords a year since 1977 or so and been logging since 1990.

I like Husqvarna XP saws now and prefer 50-60cc size for firewood.

346xp is my favorite if wood is under 20" dia. most of the time.

My go-to saw for everyday cutting is a Husqvarna 357xp. Small enough to safely de-limb and saw small stuff, yet powerful enough to buck big logs.

I agree on getting the professional grade saws if you plan to saw a lot of wood or cut for long stretches of time. :msp_thumbup:

Whatever you decide to get, buy the pro series.

If your cutting fire wood, you need more than a home owner saw.

Eh? Firewood courtesy of Stihl 025 "homeowner saw":

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You said you have 2 dealers one for S and H. I would be checking up on there rep. around the area. and then go with brandy carried by the one that wins out.

Ya see I am odd man out as I run all Dolmars.

Three saws in current rotation:

Stihl 039 (391 is the current version). Good saw, consumer mid-grade so it's heavy for the power, which you'll only notice if you also have pro saws to grab instead :D Bought it when I bought the house.

Stihl 360 (362 is the current version). Great saw, bought it used so I'd have a backup saw.

As a minimum, buy a second bar and a couple spare chains. When you pinch your bar, you can take off the powerhead (as long as it has an inboard clutch which I think all Stihls and most Huskys do), and use the other bar to finish the job.

When you can, buy a spare saw in case your primary one dies in the middle of making the felling cuts -- you don't want to leave a dangerous half-cut tree standing in public areas.

Husky 372XP has migrated into my collection, it's almost unfair in a hot knife through butter way to cut firewood with it.

I used to have a Stihl 024AV (I guess a 260 is the closest current version). I bought that used as a lightweight limbing/brush saw. If I had bought it before the 360, it would've been fine as a backup saw to the 039 as well. I will buy another used one day :)

If you told me I could only keep one, I'd keep the 372XP.

If you told me I could only buy one, but to pick out the best price/performance for my needs, it would be the MS-360.

My husky homowner saw (the cheap $200 235) is one of my favories. It's really lasted well and never given me any trouble. Still, the more expensive pro saws are (IMHO) much better.

I'd suggest a Husky 255 Rancher. It's a good all-around saw, and not too spendy.

Hey Grizz, keep in mind that most of these guys are suffering from CAD, BAD! Couldn't give you an unbiased opinion if their woodpile depended on it! :msp_tongue: I offer a voice of reason as I am not infected with CAD, FAD maybe, but no CAD, yet. I come at this from the other end of the spectrum. I agree that you probably need more than 1 saw, for the reasons already explained, and sometimes it's just nice to finish the day out without having to fiddle with a saw if it gets dull or quits, whatever. But, here's where I differ, I don't think you need a $500 saw (or more) just for cutting firewood for your own use. Every bit of the wood I've cut in the last 4 yrs. has been cut by 1 of my 2 el cheapo "national tool store brand" :greenchainsaw: saws that were used, well, warranty return rebuilt units. I have had no trouble with them, they start right up, run good, are light, have good power and sip gas, all for a very low investment. I mean, heck, I could buy 1 for every day of the week for the price of 1 of the premium pro line saws! Would I win any log cutting contest, or impress any of these guys on here, probably not, :poke: did they help keep my house warm they last 4 years,? YUP! 5- 6 cords per year. And yes, I have run a range of the "premium" brand saws, for the money, I'll stick with what have. The point of all this...find ya a nice saw that you like,(I would think your local saw shop could point you toward a winner within his brands lineup) one that you can afford (don't rule out used, CL and such) and can get parts for readily, then go git 'er dun! FYI...I like MAC88s reply :msp_thumbup: Ahem....rant over :rant: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Stihl is my choice. I cut a couple years with a couple 18" poulans at the time its all i could afford. And they had intechangable parts, chains, bars exc. They did all i every needed of them and kept me warm. but eventually failed after 20+ cords a year. Its no good being stuck out ready for a full day off cutting and an unrepairable saw. Times changed and a reliable, powerful, saw was needed so I upgraded to an MS362. I kept a poulan for back up saw incase of a pinch or failure of any sort. Always a good idea to have a back up. Your homelite you already own will do fine in a pinch. I opted for the pro line and would do the same again. The MS 391 is very similar with less price if thats an issue or a MS441 would be nice if it is practical on cost and the size of wood you cut. Poulans are a good low cost saw that will get you by if its all you can do now. You could buy 4 or 5 of those and cut for 10+ years for the cost of one good husky or stihl.

You cant go wrong with either. Its personal preferance honestly. There all good and even the mid range or home owner stihl or husky is better than any poulan or box store saw. Just my opinion the 362 is a perfect all around saw for all i do. i cut 4" up to 36+ and it will do it all. 20" for evrything and 25" for felling big trees.

Good luck

P.S. after posting this and looking at my signature you learn quickly after buying a saw, youll want to buy another, and another... there alot of fun to use and having a choice of one for specific jobs is nice. And others just for play or braging rights

Last edited:
You'll get enough advice for which saws from everyone. I'm here to say not to underestimate buying a used saw. I bought a 2 year old MS 260 for 200 dollars. Professional grade saws hac tons of parts available and I think worth buying used. They last forever and most people don't put nearly enough hours on them. Find a clean one and go with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would suggest the most expensive one you can get, 1 or 2 saws, because you are gonna end up with them anyway, so no sense fooling your self or wasting time, just sharing my experience with you,.

Whatever you get make sure you take care of it, keep air filter clean, mix gas properly, keep the fins cleaned out, etc. Cheap insurance. But most of all make sure you run a sharp chain! A dull chain will make the best saw seem like a real turd. It will shorten the life of your bar and make the saw work harder to do less work, shortening the life of the saw.

Dolkitas rule on Baldoni Mountain now but I have had both Stihl and Husky. Go with the best dealer and what feels good in your hands.
End :chatter: lecture.

Latest posts

Back