Opinions wanted: is a higher HP saw more dangerous than a lower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you get down to the nitty-gritty of what causes a kickback, the field becomes very broad.....there are/may be many reasons. Then you have identify what kind of kickback you have experienced......a pinch kickback....a tip overrun kickback...a limb grab.....a to aggressive chain....to short a bar.... it's almost endless. My advice to the OP is to go with what you think you're comfortable with. Obviously a very powerful saw with a sharp chain CAN be more dangerous, but not necessarily, but like has already been said, a small saw with a dull chain can be just as dangerous in a different way. Again...and understanding of the tool you are using and your personal experience is key to answering this question. And please excuse my antics about heavily vs light armed......though I do consider that a part of the explanation (the OP's physical ability).....a person should feel OK using a saw they are physically able to control......a light saw generally kicks back very quickly where as, say a 90 cc saw kicks back much more slowly due to the fact that the much more of the kickback energy is absorbed by the heavy saw.........they're all dangerous!!! But again the users experience is the most relevant factor.....and can only be acquired through time spent at the work of saw running.

Latest posts

Back