Opinions? What's a Stihl 048 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
I have a gentleman coming in to do a trade down in saw size. He's getting older and just wants a 16in limber for the small jobs he has. The saw he's wanting to trade in with me is a stihl 048 and from what I hear it needs new bar studs. Not sure on visaul or mechanicle conditon. It is reported to run good.

I've never got into the 028,038,048 series so I don't know what they go for used in good condition. Anyone want to throw a couple figures out there so I know by condition what to give him in trade value.

I will probably be trading him into a Stihl 026 that I will have gone through stem to stern (if it matters). I usually get $250-$300 for one of my rebuilt 026's locally.

Here is the acres link: looks like 77cc and 17lbs almost! seems heavy for 70-80cc class...
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e2b1cb1db5ad1b4188256ba20049aa99?OpenDocument

Cheers,
Nathan

I'll also be doing some quick mods on an 039/390 he has. Make sure those limiter caps don't get in his way in the future! :)

Last edited:
keep the 026...it is way more valuable than the 048. if you want to trade it for a bigger saw let me know

I have plenty of "big saws." The guy called me off a CL ad I posted a while back for the 026 and wants to trade his 048 in towards a smaller saw. I don't really need the 048 and would most likely pass it along to a Stihl collector if it's in good shape. Just trying to help the guy out toward a better used saw for use.

As for parts... I know where there is a pair of 042/048 parts saws and another gentleman also called about fixing the 048 he has.

Any big draw backs on the 042/048 series? I know the 056 has non-standard bearings and seals so you have to get hard to find NOS parts. Guess what I'm asking is if the piston and cylinder are good and the coil throws spark can the rest be repaired or am I looking at huge inflated prices for NOS parts?

I wouldn't give him more than a $50-75 credit towards an 026. If it was in tip-top condition, I might go $100 or so. You will probably insult him when you tell him his saw isn't worth much, so be ready.

I already started laying ground work for that and told him that model was only run a couple years and not many were made and it's hard to find parts and it's heavy for its CC size... I don't think he cares... He said "She (the 048) doesn't owe me a dime but thought I would try and squeeze a little out of it for trade."

I like to be as fair as possible with people and try to strike a balance between what I need and what a buyer wants...

Something as simple as AV bushings is hard to find for a 048.

I agree with that statement!!....The front tank AV's are tough to find.

I know there are always differences of opinion on these old saws, but I would always give a guy $50-$75 trade in on an 048 if it's in half decent condition. They part out pretty well on Ebay, and I have gotten a decent dollar for good runners. I imagine different areas of the country do differ in prices.

Sounds like the guy doesn't expect big $$ out of it anyway.

Back