Oregon chain issue, or is it my filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffreyZirkle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am running a 404 bulk roll chain, right side of the chain always files out perfect but the left side all ways appears that the file is not making contact with the tooth cutting edge and is just removing material from the gullet. I do not notice it until I am 2/3 of the way through the chains life. Then the saw will start sawing at an angle rather than a strait line. I do measure my teeth to make sure they are all the same length.

Also I am noticing around the 2/3 Mark I get a broken master link and must install a new one.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Free hand or with a guide when you file?

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk
I use a file guide, I do not believe it could be the file guide as it does it only on the left side. But I have known to be wrong before.

That was a good question...
So that changes simplifies things now we know you use a guide.
If you can't tell If the file is making contact with the cutting edge then we are all just guessing? My guess would be you are if it cuts straight for 2/3 the chain? Your move.
As far as the Master. Its unusual so I would think you are over spinning which would create a high impact and a lot of vibrations going through the sprocket and/or you have a bad batch of masters. Try a different one from elsewhere.

Have you tried running a different chain, not off the same roll, if it still does it then I don't think it's a chain issue.

I don't think I am going to any different chain, lol, took an act of Congress and almost a fist fight to get my company away from bulk Forester chain and a Carson bulk chain they was buying. It was even worse, wouldn't hold an edge to save your life.

I will add this to the Forester chain, I had a lot of chains break on the bulk roll, my company sent those chains back and I was sent some pre-made chains in a sealed packaged. Those chains did a lot better. Cut and held an edge like they should, but the bulk 100 foot chain was junk.
So it's got me to thinking something shady going on with the bulk chain.

If using a guide, it should be at the same depth when filing, top cutters should stay constant, you left handed? You may be putting more pressure on one side than the other and not realise it, have caught myself doing it on occasions.

Most likely he is driving the file downward on one side, so that the file no longer touches the top plate on that side.
It is a common problem with hand filing, but without pics, it is all just guessing. I would like to see the teeth of the drive sprocket as well, as that may have something to do with the "master link" problem......

Back