Oregon chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run Oregon lgx and Stihl chain. I prefer the Stihl chain a little better, but never had any problems with the lgx. I cut mostly Red Oak. I can run the lgx for a couple hours.... providing there is no dirt/sand in the tree and I don't hit the ground.

In 40 years I have not gotten a 'bad' Oregon chain. All of the posts here have good suggestions as to what might be wrong. I am sure that the problem has been addressed. I might add my .02 though. I recently looked at a friends new little Homelite that "Won't cut right". I damd near needed an impact wrench to get the bar nuts off and the chain tensioner was torqued so tight it was cutting grooves in the sprocket!!! There is not even 3 hours on the saw........Bob

I did resharpen it lil while ago and did get into the dirt for a brief second and cut one more log after that and it was done.. at rpms it was running at full throttle I imagine it hit every tooth by the time I got it lifted out of the dirt even though it only went in a 1/4 inch at most...

That is more than enough to dull the chain!

One time in the dirt is about all it takes to dull any brand of chisel chain.

Yup. It also drags dirt back into the cut which continues to wreck your chain even though the bar is out of the dirt :cheers:

Even semi chisel doesn't fare well when stuck in the dirt.

Back