Our work is pretty rough, actually.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point Cape, I come from a family of excellent wrestlers, I think that's part of why we like this work. Endurance, strength, technique, perseverance. I always refer to it as "wrestling the trees".

Wrestling was my background in HS and college. High-intensity, six minutes.
Later in life I found adventure racing, continuous intensity, six days.

Tree work is a nice blend in between, with a shower guaranteed at the end of the day.

My recent hire is a 20 yr old college girl, my first female brush pilot. She walked up to my job site one day and I said, "So you're here to help feed the chipper!", jokingly I might add. She wasn't joking. I hired her within 1 minute of meeting her. We did a three hour interview and began work the next day, a crane job getting a tree off a house.

She has been one of the most enjoyable hires yet to date. She's been able to do everything asked of her and engages the public really well, freeing me up to do the treeguy thing and not bust the groove. She fully gets the safety issues and communicating with traffic and such. She doesn't try to over-do it, physically, looks for the efficient means in all she does and isn't thrashed by the end of the day when I need that last push.

Tough work, our industry, but a good attitude and pride in your work trumps piss and vinegar any day.

Girls rock.

Right on capetrees. I see it all the time. Endurance always wins. Muscle up front ain't jack to it. Neither is youth. Breathe...Breathe...

The owner and teacher of our gym is a black belt under Carlson Gracie (RIP) and both of them told us that endurance is key. You can be the biggest badarse around, but if you lose your wind after a few minutes you're done.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen muscle bounds and young guys buckle after 1-2 minutes of serious play.

It's the same for tree work, except the trees ain't grappling or hitting back, so the time is usually 1-2 hours before tapout.

The only workers we have who can stand up to the job are from below the border. They are great guys, they know their shiiite, and can last the day with me and my partner without tapping or puking out. Shiite, some of them barely drink that much water. I have no idea how they do that.

Last edited:
Yeah its rough in south Texas I worked there back in the hottest
summer on record in 80 something, over a hundred like 90 straight
days with Gulf humidity not for me that is too hot too long.

I remember that summer. 1980. I was 19 back then and working for Park Cities Tree Care in Dallas. Man that was hot. But you know when you think about it this work is not that rough actually if the weather is halfway decent. I hired this kid about my second year in business that hardly would even take a break. I asked him didn't he get tired and he said this is easy and I am telling you this guy could work. I had just fired a couple transient workers from San Antonio and he could have made four of them. He explained to me later he had been hauling hay for a living and then it made sense why he thought tree work was easy. I can think of a lot of jobs worse than tree work. If it was very rough I couldn't still do it.

Right on capetrees. I see it all the time. Endurance always wins. Muscle up front ain't jack to it. Neither is youth. Breathe...Breathe...

The owner and teacher of our gym is a black belt under Carlson Gracie (RIP) and both of them told us that endurance is key. You can be the biggest badarse around, but if you lose your wind after a few minutes you're done.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen muscle bounds and young guys buckle after 1-2 minutes of serious play.

It's the same for tree work, except the trees ain't grappling or hitting back, so the time is usually 1-2 hours before tapout.

The only workers we have who can stand up to the job are from below the border. They are great guys, they know their shiiite, and can last the day with me and my partner without tapping or puking out. Shiite, some of them barely drink that much water. I have no idea how they do that.

Interesting comments about endurance and wrestling, in some of the posts, above. I also wrestled in high school and college.

Yep, I agree about our Hispanic brothers. I just had two get through a rough day without one complaint. I'm using one of them this Monday, if he shows up at HD for the pick-up.

Interesting comments about endurance and wrestling, in some of the posts, above. I also wrestled in high school and college.

Yep, I agree about our Hispanic brothers. I just had two get through a rough day without one complaint. I'm using one of them this Monday, if he shows up at HD for the pick-up.

100% legal too right?

hey TM, i worked with a bird when i was in AK a few months ago. she didnt really like being around the chipper when the winch was being used but she could work. much better than almost the rest of the crew. i was impressed.

I think 10 guys will do 7 guys worth of work as theres always slackers but 10 guys plus one girl will do 15 guys worth of work, because even the slackers dont want to look like #####s.

With the army I found that if you had a big group of guys it could be trouble. They would sometimes get aggressive, skive or just generally not work well together. Put ONE woman amongst them and you could feel the Bu"lsh'T leech out of the group and the teams worked smoothly, harder and more safely.

We are in the middle of winter here, we had a couple of beautiful days sitting on 50, (some real cold days will get down to the high 30's but a bit lower overnight) Makes work great. You can bust your butt without the burn.

Last edited:

So you decided to do the illegal alien deal. Don't get uptight I'm just surprised. But don't make a fool of yourself and say "Oh, but these are the non-illegal Mexicans that hang around HD."

Wrestling was my background in HS and college. High-intensity, six minutes.
Later in life I found adventure racing, continuous intensity, six days.

Tree work is a nice blend in between, with a shower guaranteed at the end of the day.

My recent hire is a 20 yr old college girl, my first female brush pilot. She walked up to my job site one day and I said, "So you're here to help feed the chipper!", jokingly I might add. She wasn't joking. I hired her within 1 minute of meeting her. We did a three hour interview and began work the next day, a crane job getting a tree off a house.

She has been one of the most enjoyable hires yet to date. She's been able to do everything asked of her and engages the public really well, freeing me up to do the treeguy thing and not bust the groove. She fully gets the safety issues and communicating with traffic and such. She doesn't try to over-do it, physically, looks for the efficient means in all she does and isn't thrashed by the end of the day when I need that last push.

Tough work, our industry, but a good attitude and pride in your work trumps piss and vinegar any day.

Girls rock.

OK after the picture I reread you origional post and a few things are starting to make more sense.

1. you said:
"I hired her within 1 minute of meeting her. We did a three hour interview and began work the next day"
Hmmmm.
2. you said: "She has been one of the most enjoyable hires yet to date" hmmmm.
3. you said: "She's been able to do everything asked of her" Hmmmm.
4. and you said: " isn't thrashed by the end of the day when I need that last push" Hmmmmm.

Sounds like she is a keeper! :rock:

So you decided to do the illegal alien deal. Don't get uptight I'm just surprised. But don't make a fool of yourself and say "Oh, but these are the non-illegal Mexicans that hang around HD."

I have tried to use legal folks for a good deal of time, now.

Being in "Big D," I'm sure you know that Austin is a "safe haven" city. I went to the city-run temp places and expected to be able to hire legal workers. WRONG! Even there, believe it or not, the illegals are not only protected, but are given a quasi-legal type right to work status. I could not believe it when the director told me, "We don't worry about their immigration status. It's not our concern."

Ok, wise one, so what the :censored: am I supposed to do? I have tried to use legal workers, and all have worked out for :censored: ! If it is a matter of: use anyone I can find who is actually capable of doing the job or do the job myself and risk killing myself, literally, from overwork, I will hire the guys willing and able to do the job every :censored: ing time! I ask for SSN and DL numbers on my sub-contractor's agreement to terms sheets. I get them and that's what is required. I check them online, and if they don't check out, I don't use the same guy again. I try, man, I really try.

Good for you, up in Dallas, if you NEVER use anyone of questionable legal status. Never? Uh, I think I'll call you a liar. Sorry if I have that wrong.

One more thing, oh ye who judges: Remember, I was left high and dry, an hour before the gig, by both guys who started it, the day before. I do advertise for only those with legal status, but this was a gig where I was in a bind and I had to do what I had to do. If that surprises you, I have to wonder how long you've actually been in the trees.

I have tried to use legal folks for a good deal of time, now.

Being in "Big D," I'm sure you know that Austin is a "safe haven" city. I went to the city-run temp places and expected to be able to hire legal workers. WRONG! Even there, believe it or not, the illegals are not only protected, but are given a quasi-legal type right to work status. I could not believe it when the director told me, "We don't worry about their immigration status. It's not our concern."

Ok, wise one, so what the :censored: am I supposed to do? I have tried to use legal workers, and all have worked out for :censored: ! If it is a matter of: use anyone I can find who is actually capable of doing the job or do the job myself and risk killing myself, literally, from overwork, I will hire the guys willing and able to do the job every :censored: ing time! I ask for SSN and DL numbers on my sub-contractor's agreement to terms sheets. I get them and that's what is required. I check them online, and if they don't check out, I don't use the same guy again. I try, man, I really try.

Good for you, up in Dallas, if you NEVER use anyone of questionable legal status. Never? Uh, I think I'll call you a liar. Sorry if I have that wrong.

One more thing, oh ye who judges: Remember, I was left high and dry, an hour before the gig, by both guys who started it, the day before. I do advertise for only those with legal status, but this was a gig where I was in a bind and I had to do what I had to do. If that surprises you, I have to wonder how long you've actually been in the trees.

Allright! This is good, vent it out, its true.
sometimes I think the mexicans should be invited in. Hey, they at least show the F up for work AND BUST ASS AND play soccer with their famlies on the weekends.
If I get stuck. which isn't to often , I go right up to the rental yard and ask what Jose's dad is up to. He is a good person AND he really works. I can go through 16 little white boys who talk about video games all day and wig out after an hour in the sun. some of those little white boys have big muscles and really scary tatoos. Very scary, I am afraid. What a bunch of big pussies. Don't get me started. I know I act like a prima-donna , mostly just for fun but... with me its just an act.
Anyone of those white boys would do great with a chipper, some saws, an air conditioned Ford and a crew full of mexicans!
Now take my boy Nailsy.:rock: Go get em tiger!

It seems like the only people bothered about using mexican labor are the ones who ain't making it. Or something like that.
I can't think of one business, big or small, who doesn't " utilize". I don't like that fact that business owners take advantage and try to pay them dirt. That is why the NEED for them is so strong.
You aren't going to get a smart American to kill himself unless he beleives he is going to really profit AND it shouldn't be expceted. I mean; What are YOUR standards?
Right now my mindset is: I need to make certain ammount to survive and thrive. I won't bust my ass for chump change and put up with someone elses BS because they feel I should cause they pay me.
If I was coming out of mexico my mindset would be different.
If you want to have nice clean American boys and girls drag your brush on a full time basis they are going to want a lot of money and a lot more respect.
This has been the case since the dawn of time. Can't find someone to build it go steal someone else. Slaves, poor immigrants or someone in a lesser position. Position? That is what its all about.
Oh God, what a topic.

Allright! This is good, vent it out, its true.
sometimes I think the mexicans should be invited in. Hey, they at least show the F up for work AND BUST ASS AND play soccer with their famlies on the weekends.
If I get stuck. which isn't to often , I go right up to the rental yard and ask what Jose's dad is up to. He is a good person AND he really works. I can go through 16 little white boys who talk about video games all day and wig out after an hour in the sun. some of those little white boys have big muscles and really scary tatoos. Very scary, I am afraid. What a bunch of big pussies. Don't get me started. I know I act like a prima-donna , mostly just for fun but... with me its just an act.
Anyone of those white boys would do great with a chipper, some saws, an air conditioned Ford and a crew full of mexicans!
Now take my boy Nailsy.:rock: Go get em tiger!

I didn't want to get into racial-type issues, but I will, here, only to say this: In general, White guys are pussies, in general, Black guys slack off as soon as they think you're not watching, in general, Hispanic guys bust their butts and get the job done! I know I'm being guilty of stereotyping here and I am not so narrow-minded, or so ignorant, or such a bigot as to thoroughly embrace the same. However, no matter what anyone else says, here, stereotypes do die hard, sadly. I've seen it over and over and over and -----------

Back