Our work is pretty rough, actually.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried to use legal folks for a good deal of time, now.

Being in "Big D," I'm sure you know that Austin is a "safe haven" city. I went to the city-run temp places and expected to be able to hire legal workers. WRONG! Even there, believe it or not, the illegals are not only protected, but are given a quasi-legal type right to work status. I could not believe it when the director told me, "We don't worry about their immigration status. It's not our concern."

Ok, wise one, so what the :censored: am I supposed to do? I have tried to use legal workers, and all have worked out for :censored: ! If it is a matter of: use anyone I can find who is actually capable of doing the job or do the job myself and risk killing myself, literally, from overwork, I will hire the guys willing and able to do the job every :censored: ing time! I ask for SSN and DL numbers on my sub-contractor's agreement to terms sheets. I get them and that's what is required. I check them online, and if they don't check out, I don't use the same guy again. I try, man, I really try.

Good for you, up in Dallas, if you NEVER use anyone of questionable legal status. Never? Uh, I think I'll call you a liar. Sorry if I have that wrong.

One more thing, oh ye who judges: Remember, I was left high and dry, an hour before the gig, by both guys who started it, the day before. I do advertise for only those with legal status, but this was a gig where I was in a bind and I had to do what I had to do. If that surprises you, I have to wonder how long you've actually been in the trees.

Well I know Austin is a safe haven city. Dallas is too. I don't have any easy answers and I'm not trying to judge you . I personally don't think more or less of you regardless of the legal status of who you hire. I was,however, a little surprised because based on your past post you seemed like an anti illegal type guy for some reason. Could have just been my imagination. As far as who works here we have been really lucky. My Hispanics have green cards and SSN and they all check out. We have had some of the same guys for years. One guy has worked for me for 21 years. He turned 40 this month.As far as you wondering how long I have been in this business? 22 years as far as being in business for myself goes.

Last edited:
Well I know Austin is a safe haven city. Dallas is too. I don't have any easy answers and I'm not trying to judge you . I personally don't think more or less of you regardless of the legal status of who you hire. I was,however, a little surprised because based on your past post you seemed like an anti illegal type guy for some reason. Could have just been my imagination. As far as who works here we have been really lucky. My Hispanics have green cards and SSN and they all check out. We have had some of the same guys for years. One guy has worked for me for 21 years. He turned 40 this month.As far as you wondering how long I have been in this business? 22 years as far as being in business for myself goes.

I appreciate your reply, above. I know we could have gotten into an ugly exchange, yet you exercised restraint, and I respect you for it.

You are correct: I am, for the most part, "an anti-illegal type guy." I do try, as I previously stated, to make sure everyone checks out, when it comes to legal status. Lately, with the guys I have hired who do check out, I just have had a run of bad luck. The fellows I used the other day were, surely, of "questionable" legal status. I had them fill out my forms, and off we went. I will run their numbers and very likely find that they are no good. It happens. The sad thing is, if these guys would go the legal route and succeed, something I understand is getting harder all of the time, they would do just fine, here. There has to be some sort of program worked out. I only wish I knew what it should be. I doubt anyone actually knows, for sure.

Here's my proposed solution. Kick the illegal Mexicans out of this country, and all other illegals immigrants for that matter. Mom and dad's business will be in a pinch, $hit will hit the fan and then the video game playing pansy boys of this new generation will have to work.

Problem, this solution is not politically correct so the people pleasing pansy boy politicians would never pass such legislation. It would probably put their financial interests in a pinch too, for a while.

So here we sit.

As far as I can tell most of the second generation Mexicans in this country are no better than the rest of the dead weight. Worthless gangstas. Mom and Pop get it, somehow it doesn't translate.

Oh yeah, I appreciate the shout out Dan.

Last edited:
Here's my proposed solution. Kick the illegal Mexicans out of this country, and all other illegals immigrants for that matter. Mom and dad's business will be in a pinch, $hit will hit the fan and then the video game playing pansy boys of this new generation will have to work.

Problem, this solution is not politically correct so the people pleasing pansy boy politicians would never pass such legislation. It would probably put their financial interests in a pinch too, for a while.

So here we sit.

As far as I can tell most of the second generation Mexicans in this country are no better than the rest of the dead weight. Worthless gangstas. Mom and Pop get it, somehow it doesn't translate.

Oh yeah, I appreciate the shout out Dan.

Keep in mind the country was founded by immigrants who were made to pay a high price.
These new immigrants are doing the jobs that the sons of the old immigrants are now to good for.

Keep in mind the country was founded by immigrants who were made to pay a high price.
These new immigrants are doing the jobs that the sons of the old immigrants are now to good for

Too good to do them for $6 an hour and ride to work in a horse trailer anyway.

My girfriend actually got stuck behind a horse trailer full of Mexicans in Arkansas. I am sure the farmer who was toting them around really needed their help, and it's not really all that dangerous if you are careful, put pumpkins in there and it is no worse than a hayride, right?

Still, I think we need to have some sorts of minimum standards for workers in America. I really have no idea how to decide exactly what they should be, and I think for the most part people shuold be left to decide for themselves, but I think that whatever the standard is it needs to be higher than having people riding around in a livestock trailer.

"As far as I can tell most of the second generation Mexicans in this country are no better than the rest of the dead weight. Worthless gangstas. Mom and Pop get it, somehow it doesn't translate."

Nailsbeats, that's the only point you made I agree with. But, keep in mind that all those second generation people are not illegal immigrants or hard workers. They are usually US citizens born and raised. That's the problem.

We have white guys calling all the time for a job, willing to work for the same money our below the border guys will. Guess who we choose 99% of the time. That's right, the guys who can get the job done. And usually, they are better people as well.

That was funny. Sad thing is it is reality. I saw a load of them last month piled into what I would call an old hog trailer near Crandall, Texas. Must have been 15 of them in there.

I'll stay out of the immigration discussion, I have my opinions but this isn't the time or place.

We've had very few young guys that can keep up with what we do. We do very well with retired blue collar types working part time. Seems to be a generational thing, and their generation was/is willing to work. At 60 running ropes, dragging brush and bucking logs is a challenge that our guys seem to enjoy, and they're always up for a beer at the end of the day.

I'm surprised how many here were wrestlers. I was too, in high school. Also raced BMX bikes. Was never terribly good at either though!

And one of the best climbers I ever was around was a woman who was maybe 5'2" and 110 lbs. Smooth, fast, and super strong. It has nothing to do with gender if you're good, just some brains and desire. Unfortunately we went different directions many years ago.

Oh, yeah...I think I need a motorcycle...

:rockn:

Great thread. Yes it's true that most kids these days only ace the video games and bossing there parents. Hard work makes em or breaks em in the end. The other day my 17 yr old helper literally looked like a zombie! I asked him what was up and he said he felt like hell! I said daniel, have you drank fluids? Yes, he replied. What did you eat for breakfast daniel? I ate doughn uts and coke! I was like oh my gosh are you crazy or what? His parents, even though good ones had never taught him proper nutrition at all. He said flat out that he didn't know that kinda meal was not fit to eat before work! Just goes to show that hydration and a proper diet of COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES go hand in hand for nesc. energy in our line of work. I eat oatmeal every morning with a glass of milk and fruit, and try to have some pasta and protein or somethin for dinner. Recently on a sunday morning a friend and i went canoeing, and honestly did not know that where we put in was river mile#2 and exit was river mile #28. Well we figured it out at 9:10 p.m. that eve, totally bookin it when we heard we had traveled 26 miles in 8.5 hrs! The next day i was draggin brush and climbin trees, my usual monkeying around! Moral to the story is, that would not have been possible without a PROPER DIET AND HYDRATION. If any of you are unsure about health and fitness and where to get started, get your hands on a copy of the Glycemic Index, it basically shows foods that burn faster and the ones that burn slower( these are the ones that get you through the day). I keep the trucks stocked with high energy foods like clif bars,HOMEMADE jerky, granola,etc. I'll tell ya that there are times when i'm in a tree that eating some carbs makes me feel so much better! Gatorade and powerade are far superior to water by the way!

I'll stay out of the immigration discussion, I have my opinions but this isn't the time or place.

We've had very few young guys that can keep up with what we do. We do very well with retired blue collar types working part time. Seems to be a generational thing, and their generation was/is willing to work. At 60 running ropes, dragging brush and bucking logs is a challenge that our guys seem to enjoy, and they're always up for a beer at the end of the day.

I'm surprised how many here were wrestlers. I was too, in high school. Also raced BMX bikes. Was never terribly good at either though!

And one of the best climbers I ever was around was a woman who was maybe 5'2" and 110 lbs. Smooth, fast, and super strong. It has nothing to do with gender if you're good, just some brains and desire. Unfortunately we went different directions many years ago.

Oh, yeah...I think I need a motorcycle...

:rockn:

Add me too the list of high school wrestlers, I also raced motocross and some GNCC's in the past. Still Race once or twice a year but with more and more responsibility's accumulating it's tuff to justify the extra risk these days.
As far as mexicans being hard workers for penny's it depends on where you are. I noticed a huge difference in the character from the new york mexican workers VS when I was in CALI, working. Like every one else its more of a UP bringing and generational thing then a Hispanic,blk, or white thing, IMO...

Last edited:
Add me too the list of high school wrestlers, I also raced motocross and some GNCC's in the past. Still Race once or twice a year but with more and more responsibility's accumulating it's tuff to justify the extra risk these days.
As far as mexicans being hard workers for penny's it depends on where you are. I noticed a huge difference in the character from the new york mexican workers VS when I was in CALI, working. Like every one else its more of a UP bringing and generational thing then a Hispanic,blk, or white thing, IMO...

Put me on that list of wrestlers too. I think it's one of the toughest sports, reminds me alot of tree work.

Put me on the list of motorcycle guys. I have had 11 or so from street bikes, to dirt bikes to crotch rockets. Last ones I had were a KX250 and a Yamaha R1. Now I have kids.

Put me on that list of wrestlers too. I think it's one of the toughest sports, reminds me alot of tree work.
Duggy,you can't forget grappling either. At Camp LeJeune the USMC Combat Hitting Skills Instructors would show us some real neat groundwork, it was the bulk of the MCMAP training we did.Mostly Brazillian Jiu Jitsu based holds, takedowns, arm bars,etc. and unlike wrestling, we're beating the hell out of each other at the same time too! Pretty tough stuff too man.

Taught to work

Great post ladies and gents!

I work in a variety of area's when I am off duty, basically whatever it takes to make a buck for the family. Couple of buddies recently had the discussion that the current trend is for the kids to stay home or at the daycare- safe and sound- while Dad and sometimes Mom, work all day to provide for them. Result of this scenario is- the kids never get to see what work is all about, or how to push through when the going gets tough. I, as well as the guys that I partner with on my days off from the fire department, grew up on family owned farms/ranches. Our fathers taught us a strong work ethic and to respect those around me- both young and old- from a very early age and they also taught us that respect had to be earned, that it was never given. Most of the kids that I have tried to get to help- whether they were looking for just a summer job or a career- didn't seem to respect anything around them, much less have the self respect and discipline needed to make it through a day. I have been a mentor for several challenged kids in our area and the one thing that they have all had in common is that their parents- while loving them- never took the time to raise them- they were and still are good monetary providers that gave the kids a safe haven as a home- but they never really took the time to teach them how to work, respect themselves and generally give a #@* about anything. We never had an allowance growing up- if you wanted to go on a date you have to find something extra outside of the farm- after your farm duties were done-to pay for the date, I used to work at a local sale barn on the night shift two nights a week to get money to go see a movie with my girl on the weekend. The general talk in the health industry is about childhood obesity. I didn't see much of that growing up because we stayed busy, if nothing else we cleaned the house for mom when she worked so she could take a break when she got home. I really think if parents started taking time for their children and to be with their children- teach them that it totally o.k.to get a little dirty with at least a little yard work and gave them chores to do with you instead of waiting on them hand a foot or having them do it on their own-you might see a change in our upcomming generation- heck, keep them so busy that they don't have time to get into any mischief!! And you end up with a person that has the drive and ambition to see a situation through to the end, stop taking things for granted and not give out when the going gets a little tough!!

"As far as I can tell most of the second generation Mexicans in this country are no better than the rest of the dead weight. Worthless gangstas. Mom and Pop get it, somehow it doesn't translate."

Nailsbeats, that's the only point you made I agree with. But, keep in mind that all those second generation people are not illegal immigrants or hard workers. They are usually US citizens born and raised. That's the problem.

We have white guys calling all the time for a job, willing to work for the same money our below the border guys will. Guess who we choose 99% of the time. That's right, the guys who can get the job done. And usually, they are better people as well.

Yeah that's my point, it's the generation that are born as US citizens that suck. I will say most, not all, cause I'm 27 and a lot of my generation sucks, but not near as bad as the current lineup. These kids don't know how to eat, dress, work, communicate, litteral zombies. With the lack of real fathers, queers on tv, and broken families, it's no wonder to me. Yeah I was a teenager too, but I always worked my a$$ off. I would screw up at times but it was my work ethic that kept it together.

I have a 1 1/2 year old that already helps me pick up brush and firewood. As a matter of fact, the kid is hanging off me right now, telling me to get outside and work. We have a trailer to move and a load of firewood to unload and mom's at work. I'm setting a bad example on this stupid computer, I know.

I know some young guys in town that come from broken homes, I put them to work and try to teach them what I can, but man it can be trying doing their fathers job. I got the one a .22 long rifle for small game hunting, and shooting, when he comes over we shoot at my 100 yard target behind my house. This is stuff a father should be doing.

Last edited:

Then when is the time or place? I for one would like to hear your opinions. I think our government takes a isn't the time or place stance on illegal immigration. It reminds me of a great big pile of sh!t that keeps building up by someones backdoor and the patriarch of the family says "We will deal with it later, this isn't the time or place." And later on the wife says "My God, Bob ,that pile of sh!t is coming into the house now." And Bob says "Marge, I told you this was not the time or place to talk about that big pile of sh!t. Go sprinkle something on it." Well enough of my analogies but the fact is the problem is serious enough that anytime and anyplace are suitable to discuss something that has become an issue that demands immediacy.

Last edited:
Oh yea almost forgot..

Talking about the heat..

Average temp here at 1:00pm for the last few weeks has been 98. Heat index is around 108-112. I have found that carrying a few changes of clothing has helped tremendously- I usually go through 3 pair of jeans, 3-4 shirts and several pair of socks a day. Did a little studing on hydration, recommendations that I found were 12-15 ounces of water every 30 minutes with a ration of 2 water per 1 electrolyte replacement( gatoraid, poweraid, etc) I have also found that v-8 juice and canned pineapple slices do wonders for a little energy push in the afternoon. I also keep an I.V bag of 500ml normal saline in the event that I get severly dehydrated- some of the areas that we work in are very remote......

Latest posts

Back