Our work is pretty rough, actually.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that we have a count of all the wrestlers here how many ex-rodeo people do we have? ....Tree work and rodeo both require the type that is a little nuts anyway, why else would we be doing tree work?

You don't have a full count of former wrestlers. Some of us just don't need to pound our chests to feel like the Alpha Dog...

Bragging does nothing but set you up for failure or humiliation. The proof is really all in the performance. As a 40+ year old FatGuy, I still can outperform most of our help that is half my age. But I know to respect my limits or I'll be telling stories of "back in the day" from my wheelchair or walker. Work smart... use your head, not your male dangley bits....

I went to a bar here downtown that has an electronic bull. The chicks ride it topless or in bras. I rode it with all my clothes on and the operator turned it up all the way. I think I lasted a few seconds, maybe 10-20 at most. Then, I hit the mat. Over by the bar - actually on the bar, you can then pay to get your arse spanked with a paddle by the chick bartenders. That's all I know about rodeo.

Where did you say this bar was ? :popcorn:

You don't have a full count of former wrestlers. Some of us just don't need to pound our chests to feel like the Alpha Dog...

Bragging does nothing but set you up for failure or humiliation. The proof is really all in the performance. As a 40+ year old FatGuy, I still can outperform most of our help that is half my age. But I know to respect my limits or I'll be telling stories of "back in the day" from my wheelchair or walker. Work smart... use your head, not your male dangley bits....

No bragging here, just talkin about the good ol days. I'm far from an alpha dog, trust me, I respect my limits too.

2FG,
Nobodys claiming they are better than others due to the idea that they wrestled years ago. The issue of endurance, learned from wrestling, is often seen as being more important in tree work than muscle. :cheers:

JeffL, I am beginning to think you are spying on me - did you see me there? Hope you didn't see me tossed from the bull only to have my arse spanked silly standing on the bar. Where's my PM response on the 460?

BTW, if we were all posting on a MMA or wrestling site, would we be bragging that we posted we did tree work? I don't think anyone is bragging. I think capetrees is right.

JeffL, I am beginning to think you are spying on me - did you see me there? Hope you didn't see me tossed from the bull only to have my arse spanked silly standing on the bar. Where's my PM response on the 460?

BTW, if we were all posting on a MMA or wrestling site, would we be bragging that we posted we did tree work? I don't think anyone is bragging. I think capetrees is right.

I don't know about bragging but maybe B.S. Just a little.

Now that were on to bull riding, I will throw this out. I hired two young men that were bull riders, one was still at it and wanted to go pro, the other one moved on to mud trucks.

The one still at it made it 3 weeks (fired), the other just quit after maybe 10 months. It worked out perfect for me cause his a$$ was draggin and he had topped out well below what I expected from him. I was not impressed by these guy's, no pace or any sign of toughness. Just immature young men.

I had high hopes for them too, they said they were bullriders.

Now that were on to bull riding, I will throw this out. I hired two young men that were bull riders, one was still at it and wanted to go pro, the other one moved on to mud trucks.

The one still at it made it 3 weeks (fired), the other just quit after maybe 10 months. It worked out perfect for me cause his a$$ was draggin and he had topped out well below what I expected from him. I was not impressed by these guy's, no pace or any sign of toughness. Just immature young men.

I had high hopes for them too, they said they were bullriders.

Not exactly an endurance sport, right? I mean, how long do they ride, a few seconds/minutes? I would not expect bull riders to be endurance-type workers, and so I would not expect them to make great tree workers.

Really, try a eight hour hour fine prune in a Pin Oak, then we'll see what they are made of. Only problem they never made it that far right, lol. Not that I prune that much at my company, curiously enough.

Last edited:
Oh no guys, I hired these dudes for fabrication work, welding. They wouldn't have lasted the day on a tree job.

Most bullriders seem like lean machines, but the key word here may just be "seem". I don't know, maybe I got 2 bad ones. I really expected balls to walls with a "can do" attitude. I got balls dragging with the "can't do it" attitude.

The real kicker here is they were both ex-wrestlers, which really left me wondering how much has been lost in this next generation. They weren't pretty boys either, they were farm kids.

Last edited:
Oh no guys, I hired these dudes for fabrication work, welding. They wouldn't have lasted the day on a tree job.

Most bullriders seem like lean machines, but the key word here may just be "seem". I don't know, maybe I got 2 bad ones. I really expected balls to walls with a "can do" attitude. I got balls dragging with the "can't do it" attitude.

The real kicker here is they were both ex-wrestlers, which really left me wondering how much has been lost in this next generation. They weren't pretty boys either, they were farm kids.

Maybe because they were the younger generation. Seems like no matter what the younger generation has done previously they are lazy and don't want to work.

I was fortunate enough to be raised on my family's large beefmaster cattle/quarter horse/timber farm in rural se louisiana. Dad taught us at a young age to hunt, camp,fish,and pretty much everything outdoors. We learned to castrate hogs, horses,cattle at age 6, fell timber at 7, and were ridin my dad's childhood shetland pony at age 3. I wouldn't trade a day of my growing up on any of those 3,500 acres! My grandfather was a USMC Korean vet and then was a DI at San Diego. He would let us ride into town with him often. He'd say "son, you see that line over there?" "That's the welfare line, and over there that's my buddy's from the paper mill earnin their keep!" That place smells like money son, if you wana work for it. Paw-Paw showed us that hard work payed off for those who wanted it. He said that you could have anything if you planned for it. He taught my twin and i to be very hard workers, and that's something we carry to this day. Unfortunately my paw-paw Charlie died at a healthy 68 years of age in a farming accident in 1998. But thankfully he left a mark on us that will never be erased! Two days before his death while my grandma was in Africa, he showed my little cousin how to shoot his 22 rifle he'd gotten for his birthday! One day before his death he'd showed them the creek where he was Baptised as a kid! Kinda strange huh? So you never know what tommorrow is gonna bring, and still kids insist on starting at the top!

"Started treework at 17, fresh off the dairy. Treework is easy compared to that."

My son was off the dairy at one year. I guess after 17 years of that treework would seem easy. JK. haha. :)

Started treework at 17, fresh off the dairy. Treework is easy compared to that.

Funny, that thought was running through my mind too.

What's up oldirty? You still up north?

what up beowulf!? no not in AK anymore. came home to be with the girl and got took the raise to come back. its nice working in the real wood again. lol

Latest posts

Back