Outside fire pit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread is cool... i have been wanting to get some sort of outdoor pit going but i just cant justify spending a hundred bucks on the crappy pits they sell at the home stores...

I made this one:

FirePit1.jpg

I dropped the bottom of it 24" down into the ground, surrounded with firebrick, and installed two grates, one 8" down and another one 4" down from the top. Everything burns like a bandit that way. I should have made the patio bigger that surrounds it.

Wood Doctor that ia a very nice pit and patio,my basement walkout looks very similiar to yours,me and the wife had been discussing adding on pavers to extend our concrete,that fire pit really sets it off,very nice job!:msp_thumbup:

If you’re lookin’ to make one with nothing but a shovel and loose stone…
I did mine like this so it drafts well and water drains away. I find the easiest way to clean it out is to wait for a windy day and shove my leaf blower down in it. About every 4-5 years I remove the stone in order to clean the water drain… takes maybe a couple hours.

207442d1321447884-pitdi-jpg

....and you're the one multiply stacking wood in a cellar so you "don't have to go outdoors in January" !!!???:beat_brick:

Pretty basic fire pit from a gutted truck rim. We first tried it on the ground, blah. Then I raised up the rim about 2" with pieces of concrete, then Bingo ! Good draft, retarded hot !

Added the Granite rocks around for decoration, and helps contain any coals that roll off to the edge of the rim. Free firepit, all components supplied by the campground owner !

531368_328947303841344_100001782315997_857180_321747181_n.jpg

Pretty basic fire pit from a gutted truck rim. We first tried it on the ground, blah. Then I raised up the rim about 2" with pieces of concrete, then Bingo ! Good draft, retarded hot !

Added the Granite rocks around for decoration, and helps contain any coals that roll off to the edge of the rim. Free firepit, all components supplied by the campground owner !

531368_328947303841344_100001782315997_857180_321747181_n.jpg

I like that fire pit, Any pictures of it close up ?

looks like a metal bowl surrounded by big rocks :D

i'd suggest against using mortar (unless you were lining the inside w/ firebrick. the intense heat mixed w/ COLD winters will wear your mortar prematurely. i think for rock firepit a dry stack is best...

looks like a metal bowl surrounded by big rocks :D

i'd suggest against using mortar (unless you were lining the inside w/ firebrick. the intense heat mixed w/ COLD winters will wear your mortar prematurely. i think for rock firepit a dry stack is best...

Is firebrick stronger then regular brick or cinder blocks ? I use my fire pit in the winter time too.

Mines not too fancy. Old truck wheel with some flag stone around it, dug down a little with rock on the bottom to help with the draft. Built it last year and haven't lit a match to it yet. Go figure. Soon though. One over all picture and one closer.View attachment 238182View attachment 238185

That fire pit looks pretty cool, Now all you need is some chairs hahaha

Mines not too fancy. Old truck wheel with some flag stone around it, dug down a little with rock on the bottom to help with the draft. Built it last year and haven't lit a match to it yet. Go figure. Soon though. One over all picture and one closer.View attachment 238182View attachment 238185

You have a really nice view! I could enjoy that with or without a fire...

238182d1336937305-p5130015-jpg

Thanks owbguy. We looked 3 years before I retired in 03' and moved over here. We know we're blessed and never get tired of the view. I can see 2 of the islands I duck hunt off from the back deck. And thanks for the rep ShaneLogs. Think I'm going to build some benches around the pit out of logs to kind of make them fit in. I've GOT to set a match to that thing soon.

Yeah, All you need is a big tree and cut some out of it and make holders and wal ah! You have a tree bence :D and no problem bud, keep up the good work :)

I like that fire pit, Any pictures of it close up ?

I'll zoom that one and re-post it. It's basically a gutted 24.5" truck rim, raised about 2 inches with pieces of concrete, and rocks around for the nice factor, and they help contain any hot coals from falling out the edges. I've found that the bottom edge of the rocks must have gaps to let air in, otherwise they screw with the wind and draft, if it's too closed off the wood won't burn on that side.

I'll zoom that one and re-post it. It's basically a gutted 24.5" truck rim, raised about 2 inches with pieces of concrete, and rocks around for the nice factor, and they help contain any hot coals from falling out the edges. I've found that the bottom edge of the rocks must have gaps to let air in, otherwise they screw with the wind and draft, if it's too closed off the wood won't burn on that side.

Ok, Thanks Denis Gionet! It looks like it works pretty good!

First outside Fire TV

Just never had a pit here, but decided that needed to change. Scored a buncha pallets, so started cleaning out one long stacking area getting ready to split and stack some oak. Pallets are going on with chunks of pressure treated and old bricks underneath, plenty of air now under the wood. Had a lot of leftover rotten pine and stuff at the bottom, this was cleaning out from last winter, so made a field expedient pit and sat around and enjoyed it! Low spot in the yard, some flat rocks, and off to the movies!

New stack area, with pile of half rotten stuff in front, ready for the pit:

attachment.php

Starting it

attachment.php

enjoying the finest in cold canned brews...chokey cola...

attachment.php

Beautiful young assistant enjoying the ambiance

attachment.php

finally dark enough for a nice shot

attachment.php

Boss says he has an old truck rim I can have to add to this ..elaborate..construction, but that hasn't shown up yet. So far, the rocks worked just fine. I *do* want the truck rim though, then scrounge a grill ...

Ok, Thanks Denis Gionet! It looks like it works pretty good!

Keep wanting to take a new pic of it, but waiting for the fire ban to be lifted first ! Too many forest fires in Northern Ontario, and some big ones at that. The MNR came by our campground the other day checking for campfires. Strictly enforced too, so no fire yet. It's been cooler and damp, maybe later this week..... we're hoping !

Nice score of pallets Zogger! Nice looking beard there too! :) Very impressive.

I'm a little late on whacking the fuzzy stuff off this year. Twice a year off it comes, as close as I can scissor it. It's kinda goofy but usually I try to hit bird nesting season for the spring whacking, throw it out in the bushes and the birds actually grab this natural ..blonde...fiber and haul it off.

Man, if I let it go a few years, geez loweez I could knit a sweater.... HAHAHAHAHA

I used to make pretty fair coin as a sales weasel..but dang I hated shaving...the suit I didn't mind so much, I just thought of it as urban camoflauge....

Ya, good pallets. got two plastic ones as well, swapped them out for the wooden ones I was using as dog house platforms. That place said I could get all their plastic ones, so I'll be going back. They don't get too many but I like the "no rot" idea.

I have two more stack areas to build, man, I got a lot of wood to split and stack up and finish cutting.

Back