Outside fire pit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you use, like a batwing mower? I maintain at an airport including the grass strip and all I use is an old bush hog and dang I wish I had a real finish mower to do it.

I used to use a toolcat with a 90" finish mower out front and a self powered 60" on each side of that, it worked well but sold the toolcat so now we use a jacobsen 5111 just google it and you will see pics it has a wing on each side, 51hp diesel they area really good mowers just takes a while to find a good used one. We aslo have a gravely zero turn 266 which is also a good mower

I used to use a toolcat with a 90" finish mower out front and a self powered 60" on each side of that, it worked well but sold the toolcat so now we use a jacobsen 5111 just google it and you will see pics it has a wing on each side, 51hp diesel they area really good mowers just takes a while to find a good used one. We aslo have a gravely zero turn 266 which is also a good mower

--Nice one! I use a bushhog on the strip, a kubota d326 around the hangar and planes (then a push trim mower, Dr string model), and a kubota f3680 around the boss's house. The 4wd is strong and that zero turn is scary fast. Neither one cuts real wide though, compared to your rig.

I mow my yard mostly with THE MIGHTY SNAPPER..60 buck miracle mower....I love them cheap mowers....light enough you can help steer them like a sled, with body english.

If I was steenking rich and wanted a toy, steiner/case with tracks and like some 60 foot wide custom built finish mower..one pass down the runway..done! BWAHAHAHAHA!

That's a really nice setup. Like this one?
http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuctions/Details.aspx?OHID=6892067&lp=th

really beautiful view and yard. i love people who take pride in their yards and houses...

Mine is a simple retaining wall block pit. Original owner of house had used the small cheap ones and I started replacing them with the large ones that came from a retaining wall in front of the house.
I need to replace the rest as I just finished removing the wall out front and replaced it with a dry fit boulder retaining wall. Of course a summer shandy and a cigar are a great compliment to a nice little fire.
View attachment 240329
attachment.php

Came from here
View attachment 240330
attachment.php

Then went to here
View attachment 240331
attachment.php

Then magically transformed (with the help of my back) to this
View attachment 240332
attachment.php

I have a lot of fires during the summer and I clean my pit out every other week using a wheelbarrow and a shovel. A friend of mine once had a giant aluminum "lid" for his pit that kept out the rain. Sure wish I could find one.

Mine is a simple retaining wall block pit. Original owner of house had used the small cheap ones and I started replacing them with the large ones that came from a retaining wall in front of the house.
I need to replace the rest as I just finished removing the wall out front and replaced it with a dry fit boulder retaining wall. Of course a summer shandy and a cigar are a great compliment to a nice little fire.
View attachment 240329
attachment.php

Came from here
View attachment 240330
attachment.php

Then went to here
View attachment 240331
attachment.php

Then magically transformed (with the help of my back) to this
View attachment 240332
attachment.php

I have a lot of fires during the summer and I clean my pit out every other week using a wheelbarrow and a shovel. A friend of mine once had a giant aluminum "lid" for his pit that kept out the rain. Sure wish I could find one.

--perhaps look for an old big dish satellite TV dish, then cover that with..whatever, some scrap metal roofing?

Lot of nice stone work there man!

A friend of mine once had a giant aluminum "lid" for his pit that kept out the rain. Sure wish I could find one.

something you can try is to dig out a core (maybe 8 inches wide?) in the center of your firepit and fill it wil gravel (think 2 feet deep). this should act as a sort of sump and help deal w/ water pooling in it...

ps. those boulders look WAY better than the retaining wall.

something you can try is to dig out a core (maybe 8 inches wide?) in the center of your firepit and fill it wil gravel (think 2 feet deep). this should act as a sort of sump and help deal w/ water pooling in it...

ps. those boulders look WAY better than the retaining wall.

Thanks guys! I love the look of the boulders. The ones on the bottom are around 20 inches and weigh about 200-250 lbs. All by hand. Sure makes me wish for the younger days.

Back