Oven cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I like to use in addition to the purple cleaner is one of those siphon sprayers that runs off an air compressor . After spraying down the saw with the degreaser and maybe a little parts brush work I'll rinse the saw with clean water in a gallon jug for the sprayer. It is like having a mini pressure washer only you don't have as much to set up . Makes quick and easy work to clean a dirty saw.

I have done that with saws too. Load it up with mineral spirits and blast the crud right off.

I used purple power and a brass brush, totally awesome and a brass brush. I also used a parts brush and tooth brush. Lots of elbow grease. About 7 hours. The awsome stuff at 3 dollars for the big bottle and only a dollar for the spray bottle is a fantastic value works about as well as the purple stuff. All said and done looks like the av buffers are toast, it needs a new bar/sprocket cover, plastic piece for the choke linkage and I lost the stinking flywheel key.IMG_20190127_211225100.jpg

One thing I like to use in addition to the purple cleaner is one of those siphon sprayers that runs off an air compressor . After spraying down the saw with the degreaser and maybe a little parts brush work I'll rinse the saw with clean water in a gallon jug for the sprayer. It is like having a mini pressure washer only you don't have as much to set up . Makes quick and easy work to clean a dirty saw.
PICS?????

PICS?????
51brLBNN3iL.jpg

It works the same way as a siphon spray gun. The venturi effect of the compressed air blowing over the port where the hose is attached will suck liquids up the hose. Not sure how high the vacuum will pull liquids, but mine has no problem sucking paint or oil from ground level up to chest level with 80-100psi air blowing through the tube...

If you know how to braze or use epoxy, you could make one from a $2 HFT air blower attachment. I've used mine to spray undercoating, spray drain oil on wire rope, spray paint onto the underside of my outdoor welding table, etc etc etc

That is it . I also have another one . A little more elaborate but the principal is the same that is more for cleaning an engine . I bought that one years ago . It works on a dirty engine but a pressure washer is much better. I see they are still available from Walmart for about $ 20.

I tried to make one from a blow gun with some fittings . Didn't work as good as the manufactured ones . You have to get that venturi effect to suck up the liquid and spray it . The nozzle has like a reducer in it to spray the liquid . The one I made did spray but blew more air backwards into the gallon jug.

Here is a pic of a different type of siphon sprayer I bought years ago that works good for saws because it is a little longer ,but both styles work good. 41zWi-DgX5L.jpg

Another vote for Totally Awesome. I have let cylinders soak in it overnight without a problem.
For the rest of the saw, I have sprayied it on at 1:1 with water and then blast it out with hot water from a hose, and repeat as necessary.

But that ventouri siphon thing looks really cool...

Spray on Bug and Tar Remover is the best for melting off hardened sap. I did a fir job this last spring, saws and me ended up with layers of sawdust and sap. The handles on the saws were so thick you couldn't tell what color they were. Automotive Bug and Tar Remover spray did the trick in melting it off with zero ill effects.

Purple Power or Super Clean degreaser at Walmart works amazing! Put some straight in a spray bottle and let it sit. If it’s not too bad, you can dilute it 50/50 with water.

I use P-B Blaster after I have used the air compressor to blow the crud off. Wipe-down with W-D 40 or P-B Blaster until clean.

I'm going to get a little brave here since we are discussing cleaning parts. I'll talk about my latest brain fart experience about using a deep fryer as a parts cleaner. My wife didn't want our old deep fryer any more so I decided it would make neat parts cleaner because it was bigger than my US cleaner and the fryer had two neat looking wire baskets to put larger parts into it. After cleaning up the sticky gooey left over cooking oil residue I filled the fryer with water and added a soap based water degreaser . I turned the heat up and threw in a couple of dirty metal chainsaw parts , a flywheel and something else I forgot what it was . I was expecting that fryer to do to the parts like what it does to food , kind of cook it clean by broiling it. Drrr, Ha, was I wrong , water doesn't work like cooking oil , I'll be the first to admit I am technically handicapped when comes to anything in the kitchen. Anyway , the parts did come clean but I had to use a brush to get all the gunk off of them . The warm water and soap did relieve the surface tension of the gunk on the parts to make cleaning easy but I was hoping for a little more. A regular parts washer is better and safer and if you have a heating element of some kind for it so much the better. I have two parts washers but seldom use them anymore mainly because my days of working on trucks is pretty much over and thought something smaller like the fryer would work good for chainsaw parts in the shop where I work on them.

I honestly can't endorse using a fryer for cleaning parts even though it works to some degree. The hazards of an electrical fire far outweigh the benefits if water were to come in contact with the heating element that hangs off the side of the fryer. I definitely wouldn't use anything flammable .

I just threw this out here just in case someone else was thinking the same thing to save them the trouble of trying it . You never know till you try.

For smaller parts, you can boil them in water With tide. Seriously, laundry detergent is a great cleaner an has very little suds. Just don't eat it. For the bigger stuff, rent a steam cleaner.

I'll talk about my latest brain fart experience about using a deep fryer as a parts cleaner.
I used a crock pot type appliance, with water-based degreaser, with better results.

Key learning event from that was to be sure that it is placed on a non-flammable surface (e.g. NOT a wooden workbench). No fires, but it got hotter than I would like.

Since I started using the sodium hydroxide degreasers, heat is not needed. With some other solutions, it can make a big difference.

Philbert

That is it . I also have another one . A little more elaborate but the principal is the same that is more for cleaning an engine . I bought that one years ago . It works on a dirty engine but a pressure washer is much better. I see they are still available from Walmart for about $ 20.

I tried to make one from a blow gun with some fittings . Didn't work as good as the manufactured ones . You have to get that venturi effect to suck up the liquid and spray it . The nozzle has like a reducer in it to spray the liquid . The one I made did spray but blew more air backwards into the gallon jug.

Here is a pic of a different type of siphon sprayer I bought years ago that works good for saws because it is a little longer ,but both styles work good. View attachment 700127

Not the same as the one I use. Mine has a reservoir you put the solvent/ cleaner in and you attach the air hose to it and go to town.

https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=56368

I used a crock pot type appliance, with water-based degreaser, with better results.

Key learning event from that was to be sure that it is placed on a non-flammable surface (e.g. NOT a wooden workbench). No fires, but it got hotter than I would like.

Since I started using the sodium hydroxide degreasers, heat is not needed. With some other solutions, it can make a big difference.

I guess it is safe to say some things are best left in the kitchen . Some guys stick their saw parts in the dishwasher. My wife would divorce me if I tried that stunt :wtf:

Latest posts

Back