Oven cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Pretty volatile stuff. Think ill stick to the purple stuff and maybe straight gas. It would be nice to have a list of do's and don'ts on here somewhere for mag cleaning.
Just soak it with kerosene/#2 diesel. It will remove any oil based crud. You may need a soap/detergent of some type for organic stuff like tree sap.

I use mineral spirits in it. Works great for cleaning saws. Usually do it outside cause stuff flys all over. Plus I’m not sure but I bet vaporized mineral spirits can be pretty flammable.
Yes.

Plus, I don't like solvent smells in my house (basement workshop).

Philbert

Look under the bottom of your magnetic parts dish, that’s where I found it stuck last time, lol.
That is usually where they go, or stuck to the flywheel but that little bugger is gone. I think I may have washed it down the drain. I even rooted through the trash.

I love threads like these. I feel like I learn more from sharing our failures than the success stories. I think steam would work great.

An ultrasonic makes quick work of every kind of gunk on a chainsaw! Does it all without any flammable liquids! Got a top cover for my 2166 the other day and it was quite dirty! I filled the laundry tub with dish detergent and HOT water and let it soak. Came back an hour later and scrubbed it. Nothing came off...I thought wtf is this stuff. I grab a screw driver and scrape and barely get any off. I fired the USC up and dropped it in. I ran it through two 30 minute cycles and it was spotless. Here's the before and after pics.
9a9c795f85ea86f830289dda1132755c.jpg
8efaa673858579f58a68e8d0272fbd3d.jpg

Mine is a 10 liter model and can be found on Amazon for about $129.00. This is a 346 case in it. My next one will be a 15 liter model.
34dda9a8046f2f57d5df9b8b52fed90f.jpg

thanks for the info, PA D - I like things clean, too. I am always cleaning something out in shop. your pix tell it like it is. ur cleaned part looks really clean. where does the crud go? falls to bottom, u just dump it out. renew for next cleaning? going to look into a system like you have...

I try to clean the important stuff first like the carb, piston and cylinder. Then run the dirtier parts last. The USC has a side drain and I attached a barbed fitting and house and I drain it back into empty bottles. I'll reuse some for really cruddy stuff but mostly discard it after it gets bad.

An ultrasonic makes quick work of every kind of gunk on a chainsaw! Does it all without any flammable liquids! Got a top cover for my 2166 the other day and it was quite dirty! I filled the laundry tub with dish detergent and HOT water and let it soak. Came back an hour later and scrubbed it. Nothing came off...I thought wtf is this stuff. I grab a screw driver and scrape and barely get any off. I fired the USC up and dropped it in. I ran it through two 30 minute cycles and it was spotless. Here's the before and after pics.
9a9c795f85ea86f830289dda1132755c.jpg
8efaa673858579f58a68e8d0272fbd3d.jpg

Wow, that's amazing.

Latest posts

Back