OWB Creosote Burn Off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was loading the owb the other night and left the door open as I sometimes do while I go back into the shed for more wood. On my second trip back the fire had taken off and was shooting out the door. I had to keep my distance, I quickly tossed the log in and shut the door. The thick black smoke rolled out of the stack from the burning creosote. I guess my firebox and stack are a bit cleaner now. I used to get this once in a while burning slabs but I was surprised by this event. I think I had a fair bit of wood left in the firebox when I went to reload. Anybody else have this happen?

No, its fine, the sheetmetal is black anyway. I think it is the equivalent of a chimney fire but the whole firebox is on fire.

The only time mine does is when I go to load it and don't wait 10 seconds after turning off the draft fan before I open the door. It only happens when I have half a load or more in the boiler. I just close the door and count 10 and when I open it again the fire is calmed down considerably.

I usually stand back and sip my beer when that happens. LOL!

Welcome to the neighborhood, it happens every now and again. :D leave the door cracked for 10 and let her do the cleanin for ya!

just leave the door wide open and let it clean out. then remove, then re-install the chimney clean out plug, pat yourself on the back, say good job. chimney cleaned. and what he said, drink a beer! besides, nothing better then a clean chimney, leaves room for a good draw when your draft opens....

If I had let it go on much more it would have been a little hard on the painted sheetmetal, it was really ripping! Like I said I used to see it when I burned slabs because they would burn hot and ignite the creosote but this was the first time this year. I was just a bit ticked I didn't have a chance to load as much wood as I planned. Only in an owb would I throw more wood on an out of control fire!

just leave the door wide open and let it clean out. then remove, then re-install the chimney clean out plug, pat yourself on the back, say good job. chimney cleaned. and what he said, drink a beer! besides, nothing better then a clean chimney, leaves room for a good draw when your draft opens....

You better make sure the heating zones are calling for heat when you do that,or you will boil the water in short order.Mine if I leave the door open,it hits 190 very quickly and easily with the circ on full time.Mines got some cresote build up from when it was new i burned a bunch of crappy pine,and some not so seasoned oak.

/me shrugs

just water...

Your kidding right? Every component in the system has a life span. It isn't any good for the firebox,most plastic pex is rated no higher than 195 degrees.Same for most circulators.Most units circulate full time exposing everything to extreme temps.I just can't see why you would knowingly overheat your OWB,when it will shorten the life of its parts.With your logic,you should be able go overheat your car just to clean the carbon out,its just water and a little glycol that will boil out.Let me know how that goes.....:dizzy:

Back