P&M Optimizer 250 smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been running a Portage and Main Optimizer 250 since late October and have been loving it. I clean it regularly and have had no issues till recently. Yesterday I noticed it smoking quite a bit and not gassifying correctly. The water temperature was taking a long time to get back up to 180. This morning it was even worse so I cleaned all of the heat exchange tubes and cleaned out the ashes in the bottom. Its burning better but not a lot better. My wood has been dry all along so I know its not that. The blower is working properly as well. Is there something else that I should be cleaning or checking out?

Wood is still dry as before.

Where are the air inlets?

It took about 5-10 minutes after cleaning to gassify correctly and not smoke. Guess I was impatient. Has been running great again since.

Wood is still dry as before.

Where are the air inlets?

It took about 5-10 minutes after cleaning to gassify correctly and not smoke. Guess I was impatient. Has been running great again since.

Air inlets are in the back of the stove in that silver box where your air adjusters and fan are. Don't think it's even possible for ash to get in there, but I could be wrong. Glad you're back up and running clean.

Creosote Problem Solved

I bought an Optimizer 250 in August of 2011. I started the furnace in late October. It ran great for about two weeks and then 4 months of torture followed. I had issues from creosote build up to the gasifier wouldn't ignite or stay lite. The furnace seemed to be always running and it was mildly smokey. I talked several time to Brian in CAN who is at the factory and he made repeated suggestions. Then he put in in touch with Richards Emmens in Maine. Richard is a dealer for Portage and Main for Maine. Richard coached me on trying different fixes. But about 2 weeks ago in late February he drove to my place in VT and tore apart my furnace. He found the blower motor wasn't properly installed and the front door leaked air. He fixed the motor, clean the sticky linkage that controls the inlet of air to the firebox and gasifier, and built a gasket on the door. He went over operating instructions and left. I was left wondering if this could possibly help after all the problems I've had. Well its 2 weeks later and my furnace is still working like a charm. No creosote issues, gasifies like the YouTube video shows, and just plan runs. I have nothing to say but good things about Richard and give him a high reference. PM insures me that they will check these times of items in the future.

Bottom line: my Optimizer 250 really works and Richard saved the day for me. He's at 207-205-0749

[email protected]

I bought an Optimizer 250 in August of 2011. I started the furnace in late October. It ran great for about two weeks and then 4 months of torture followed. I had issues from creosote build up to the gasifier wouldn't ignite or stay lite. The furnace seemed to be always running and it was mildly smokey. I talked several time to Brian in CAN who is at the factory and he made repeated suggestions. Then he put in in touch with Richards Emmens in Maine. Richard is a dealer for Portage and Main for Maine. Richard coached me on trying different fixes. But about 2 weeks ago in late February he drove to my place in VT and tore apart my furnace. He found the blower motor wasn't properly installed and the front door leaked air. He fixed the motor, clean the sticky linkage that controls the inlet of air to the firebox and gasifier, and built a gasket on the door. He went over operating instructions and left. I was left wondering if this could possibly help after all the problems I've had. Well its 2 weeks later and my furnace is still working like a charm. No creosote issues, gasifies like the YouTube video shows, and just plan runs. I have nothing to say but good things about Richard and give him a high reference. PM insures me that they will check these times of items in the future.

Bottom line: my Optimizer 250 really works and Richard saved the day for me. He's at 207-205-0749

[email protected]
WOW thats a nice statement, I think I'm talking to Bob, if so please give me a call as we now have a new rope gasket that is silicone coated that works really well to stop air leaks in the primary chamber, you should have some.

Latest posts

Back